I want to become a PT supervisor(Yes I said it)

700 PPH

So here it goes, I have been working at Ups for just under a year now and I have been thinking more recently about becoming a PT supervisor, for many reasons. My plan after starting at ups was to stay until I finish school, then use my degree to get a job in my field etc etc, so of course I only planned on being here a few years at most.

From the day I started at ups(as a loader) I have worked my ass off, I am a hard worker. I was doing somewhere around 600PPH at the end of my first month(huge mistake, right?), I have earned a few employee of the month awards(if you want to call them that) etc etc. Since about last September after I learned how to pick off(and become a damn good one), that is all I have wanted to do. However long story short, being that I am a apparently such a good loader, they do not want to move me. So I have done picking off during this past peak season and have been told that I will get about at least a months worth of pick off time this summer when the pick off(s) on my belt take their vacations(they have 5 weeks each). My pt supervisor told me that he is trying to talk to his ft sup about getting me to be a permanent pick off somewhere in the hub, after the summer. One sup already shot that idea down and I dont see the other going along with the idea either. Frankly what it comes down to is, supervisors covering their own asses(obviously). So with that said I don't see myself being the pick off(which is all I want at this point) anywhere, anytime soon. So it's not worth it for me to keep working hard, only to get shut down. What it comes down to for me is, the union(which is great btw), allows people to be lazy. That isn't for me. I am a hard worker, and being a part of the union is like someone telling me "you can work as fast as you want, but there is really no point", since they can't tell you how fast to work. Therefore why should I do the work of two people, when I get paid probably the least amount hourly on my belt. Makes no sense right?

I am not trying to turn this into a union rant, trust me..I love the union. However my scenario is that at this point, I need more. I only work about 20 hours a week which only earns me somewhere in the range of $175/week. That is not enough for me. I need a job where I can get around 30 hours a week, which would be a great balance while I attend school full-time. So the reasons I think a supervisor position would be good for me are because, I could remain at ups(short term..a few years) and still get TA(which is the only reason I am here), I could make the little extra money that is key to me right now and get close to 30 hours a week, well at least around 27ish(I think?) which is close enough.

I am very torn about what to do here. I come into/leave work everyday pretty frustrated because I work for a LAZY supervisor, who expects me to work hard for him in return and all I can think to myself is "I could be doing that job 10 times better than he could" (of course everything looks easy from the outside though right). Many people I work with have told me I would make a good supervisor there. I tend to agree with them, naturally, because I feel like no matter what I work hard. I just don't know what to do anymore..I have only been at ups for a year and it's suddenly and quickly turning into a job I HATE, just because of what I am surrounded by.....

advice?

bigbrownhen

If you can picture yourself in the Part-time sup's job, and are willing to put up with all they do. It is the most thankless job at UPS. They take alot of heat from both sides. Pretty much at the bottom of the hill, and we all know what rolls downhill. You must realize there will be no job security, no matter how hard you work.

Since your gameplan is to not make a career at UPS and you can tolerate all the non-sense that will come your way, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. It is a tough decision.

NHDRVR

Sounds like (reads like) you have already made your decision, in a sense. You have a clear idea of what you like (mostly dislike) about your job and you seem to be thinking ahead of the curve in regards to your future. Make the jump and see what happens. Just remember that it's difficult working for a company that's this size and still be concerned for the people around you that are 'lazy' or not performing to your standards. The job is too thankless to be that involved...

Just remember your numbers will become their numbers. If you think they are lazy now, you can get very frustrated trying to get mar out of them.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It always looks good on the resume, it is a thankless job. Unless you are one of the few lucky ones your hard work will go unrewarded. No one will ever tell you good job. I still tell everyone not to do it, coz there is no going back, you live with it til you move on.

bad company

semi-pro
PT sups' pay is based on a 27.5 hour work week. As a part-time sup, you are salaried unless you are authorized OT. Research the archives, because there are plenty of horror stories from PT sups who work a lot more than 27.5 hours per week, but are not compensated for it. I did it, and have no regrets, but I am one of the few who got to go drive FT after 2 years as a pt sup. Remember you'll also have to pay for healthcare as a PT sup.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Also remember, you are not alowed to progress packages, if you are calling your sup lazy because he does not help out when people are buried and you think he should or that you would if you were in his position, it's not for you. The first time you get a grievance against you for working and they have to pay someone double pay for the time you worked(as a sup) you will understand why the sups don't do anything. So if you think you can stand and watch and keep your hands off then ok, but from the way it reads, you are a hands on type and it would be very difficult for you to keep your hands in your pockets!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Also remember, you are not alowed to progress packages, if you are calling your sup lazy because he does not help out when people are buried and you think he should or that you would if you were in his position, it's not for you. The first time you get a grievance against you for working and they have to pay someone double pay for the time you worked(as a sup) you will understand why the sups don't do anything. So if you think you can stand and watch and keep your hands off then ok, but from the way it reads, you are a hands on type and it would be very difficult for you to keep your hands in your pockets!!
Great points

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
another classic case of "hard worker got caught up on to the system" I understand the importance of extra pay, but if you spend that extra 10 hours or so into school, you'd finish it sooner as well.

Tonya87

Hey, I also been working at ups for almost a year now, and I've done it all from sorting, to picking off, to loading. I also have been thinking of becoming a supervisor mainly because I need the money, barely 3 hors a night is so not worth it. I say the only bad thing about becoming a supervisor is make any kind of mistakes your done jusy like that, no union to back you up, oh and you have to pay for your own benefits. Also you may have to be a lil kiss ass so I heard, but im no kiss ass so we will see hehe anyways I think if you think it would give you the money you need in your pocket, go for it. Im really thinking about it, moving a lil on the yes side.. anyways wish you the best of luck with your decision.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hey, I also been working at ups for almost a year now, and I've done it all from sorting, to picking off, to loading. I also have been thinking of becoming a supervisor mainly because I need the money, barely 3 hors a night is so not worth it. I say the only bad thing about becoming a supervisor is make any kind of mistakes your done jusy like that, no union to back you up, oh and you have to pay for your own benefits. Also you may have to be a lil kiss ass so I heard, but im no kiss ass so we will see hehe anyways I think if you think it would give you the money you need in your pocket, go for it. Im really thinking about it, moving a lil on the yes side.. anyways wish you the best of luck with your decision.

Unless you work at an air gateway, you have a contractual right to 3.5 hours/day. You simply have to demand it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So here it goes, I have been working at Ups for just under a year now and I have been thinking more recently about becoming a PT supervisor, for many reasons. My plan after starting at ups was to stay until I finish school, then use my degree to get a job in my field etc etc, so of course I only planned on being here a few years at most.

From the day I started at ups(as a loader) I have worked my ass off, I am a hard worker. I was doing somewhere around 600PPH at the end of my first month(huge mistake, right?), I have earned a few employee of the month awards(if you want to call them that) etc etc. Since about last September after I learned how to pick off(and become a damn good one), that is all I have wanted to do. However long story short, being that I am a apparently such a good loader, they do not want to move me. So I have done picking off during this past peak season and have been told that I will get about at least a months worth of pick off time this summer when the pick off(s) on my belt take their vacations(they have 5 weeks each). My pt supervisor told me that he is trying to talk to his ft sup about getting me to be a permanent pick off somewhere in the hub, after the summer. One sup already shot that idea down and I dont see the other going along with the idea either. Frankly what it comes down to is, supervisors covering their own asses(obviously). So with that said I don't see myself being the pick off(which is all I want at this point) anywhere, anytime soon. So it's not worth it for me to keep working hard, only to get shut down. What it comes down to for me is, the union(which is great btw), allows people to be lazy. That isn't for me. I am a hard worker, and being a part of the union is like someone telling me "you can work as fast as you want, but there is really no point", since they can't tell you how fast to work. Therefore why should I do the work of two people, when I get paid probably the least amount hourly on my belt. Makes no sense right?

I am not trying to turn this into a union rant, trust me..I love the union. However my scenario is that at this point, I need more. I only work about 20 hours a week which only earns me somewhere in the range of $175/week. That is not enough for me. I need a job where I can get around 30 hours a week, which would be a great balance while I attend school full-time. So the reasons I think a supervisor position would be good for me are because, I could remain at ups(short term..a few years) and still get TA(which is the only reason I am here), I could make the little extra money that is key to me right now and get close to 30 hours a week, well at least around 27ish(I think?) which is close enough.

I am very torn about what to do here. I come into/leave work everyday pretty frustrated because I work for a LAZY supervisor, who expects me to work hard for him in return and all I can think to myself is "I could be doing that job 10 times better than he could" (of course everything looks easy from the outside though right). Many people I work with have told me I would make a good supervisor there. I tend to agree with them, naturally, because I feel like no matter what I work hard. I just don't know what to do anymore..I have only been at ups for a year and it's suddenly and quickly turning into a job I HATE, just because of what I am surrounded by.....

advice?

Unless you are absolutely certain you plan to cut ties with UPS after you get your degree (and your degree is in a field where you will be able to land a job) then I strongly suggest against it. There's a few things you should realize, as an hourly:

UPS rewards hard work with more hard work.
The more senior employees that are picking-off ahead of you have earned it with their seniority. They may seem "lazy" but they're in it for the long haul. You can't sling boxes like a madman for 4-5 hours a night for 20 years and expect to be able to pick up your grandchildren or even walk without a limp. At the end of the day, its just cardboard and it's not a production job.

Now, straight to brass tacks:

You'll get a fairly hefty pay bump out the gate - one hourly that had 6 months under his belt I know of went from ~$10.50/hr to $15.38/hr upon being promoted. However, after that, your raises will be far smaller. PT Management correct me if I'm wrong, but they'll be in the neighborhood of $0.30 - $0.40/year (2-3% annually max). PT'ers finished with their progression during the current contract were receiving larger raises twice a year. PT Management also pays out of pocket for health benefits - not a big deal now, but if there's any chance of you staying at UPS and you want to bang out a few kids in the next decade, it will be. I know of a PT supervisor with himself, his wife, and his two kids on his plan and he pays $120/week.

You would also be making more a week, to start, by being salaried @ 27.5/week. However, you won't be able to pull double shifts during peak season unless even the least senior guy in the building has already been offered ("all other options exhausted") and turned it down. You'll have virtually no autonomy at all as PT management - UPS is very "top-down" in managerial style; even FT sups only have a bare bones level of decision making they're permitted. Sure, you might be able to make a few operational tweaks here and there - such as moving your employees "to the work", but that's about it. You'll also have to endure heaps and heaps of abuse if your numbers start to appear less-than-desirable (and won't have a union contract/grievance procedure to protect you from harassment, either). Last - but not least - you'll be supervising people that are older than you and make more an hour (and probably a year) than you.

After my second or third year, I considered the same thing you're thinking about and didn't pull the trigger. I'm glad I didn't.

InsideUPS

Greetings Tonya87... In our area, we have a 3.5 hour guarantee. Does it happen to be different in your area? Staying your guarantee could give you another 2.5 hours of pay per week as an hourly employee.

It really is a shame that we as a company have excluded our part-time work force from sharing in the $ucce$$ of the company. I truly hope that our part-time employees are not once again used as the main "bargaining chip" in our Union negotiations. There really is not much more that you can take from them.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

advice?

I say, you are the "perfect" candidate for pt supervision. You think you know everything and you cant see the forrest from the trees, so you would fit right in. Go for it, go and work endless hours with no overtime, go and pay for your own health insurance, go and work among sharks who blame each other for the failures of the system and remember, chitt rolls downhill and YOU would be at the bottom of that hill.

Go ahead and work for a company that will rid itself of you at the first opportunity after our new contract is ratified in order to make up the "extra" money they will pay us.

Go ahead and work for a thankless system that will use you without the hope of promotion for years.

Just remember, those who chose to stay with the teamsters have a 99% chance of being with the company 2 years from now, and you would only have a 30% chance.

Sounds like you are the perfect candidate! You are perfect! Jump right in.

In 23 years, ive seen over 500 pt sups come and go.

Good luck!

Peace

TOS

InsideUPS

So here it goes, I have been working at Ups for just under a year now..........

What it comes down to for me is, the union(which is great btw), allows people to be lazy. That isn't for me.? VS. "I am not trying to turn this into a union rant, trust me..I love the union."

However my scenario is that at this point, I need more. I only work about 20 hours a week which only earns me somewhere in the range of $175/week. That is not enough for me. I need a job where I can get around 30 hours a week, which would be a great balance while I attend school full-time. So the reasons I think a supervisor position would be good for me are because, I could remain at ups(short term..a few years) and still get TA(which is the only reason I am here), I could make the little extra money that is key to me right now and get close to 30 hours a week, well at least around 27ish(I think?) which is close enough.

I am very torn about what to do here. I come into/leave work everyday pretty frustrated because I work for a LAZY supervisor, who expects me to work hard for him in return and all I can think to myself is "I could be doing that job 10 times better than he could" ..I have only been at ups for a year and it's suddenly and quickly turning into a job I HATE, just because of what I am surrounded by.....
advice?

Greetings 700PPH.... First of all, it sounds like you have a "Love - Hate" relationship with the Union. I sometimes share in those feelings but for different reasons other than Unions "allow people to be lazy". It also sounds like you are frustrated with your "LAZY" supervisor. Money is a concern in your life. You are a full time student and would find the tuition assistance helpful in completing your education.

Personally....based on all of your comments... especially "I have only been at ups for a year and it's suddenly and quickly turning into a job I HATE, just because of what I am surrounded by....." , I don't think you will be happy in any position at UPS...either as an hourly or as a part-time supervisor. Others here have stated that you will not be able to progress packages... You will have to learn to work with us Union employees who work safe, which does not always translate into the production you may expect. You will have work with your "LAZY" supervisor.

I suggest that you put every effort into finishing school and move on to a job that does not frustrate you so much. Be aware however that ALL careers involve frustration and other problems to some degree. The transition from from being a young adult to adulthood is not easy and is filled with doses of "Reality" That said, being able to put that you were a UPS PT supervisor on your resume would be very helpful in your ultimate career search.

InsideUPS

advice?

You may want to review the UPS Partners threads.....it may give you some additional insight about becoming a PT supervisor..

Re: Part Timers, 5.5 hrs vs get your job done
I am employed in a small operation, and so I have the fortune (and occasional misfortune) of knowing everyone; if I had the extra time, I'd put in the 5.5 to help any one of them. Only problem is, they give me 7.5 hours of work so I don't have the time.

frozen313

I have been with UPS for 11 years. Everywhere you go you will have people that refuse to work as hard as you do. (this is not a UPS thing, this is the new generation thing. What we have to realize is, nobody owes us anything but a chance to be successful, the rest is up to us.) If you want a reason to work hard, how about pride, or the drive to be the best at what you do. It took 2 years as a loader; 6 years as a pt sup; and 6 months as a driver to get to where im at. (FT Supervisor) If you are serious about changing things, get the pt supervisor position and join the darkside.

TxRoadDawg

If you are SURE the job is a way stop on to better things take the pt management slot, use up all the tuition assistance you can squeeze out of ups, get get that degree done and go. If you have any doubts stay hourly and keep the driving option open depending on what the wait looks like in your center. personally i wish I was making 1400 a week and only having to deal with me myself and I instead.......

Hi 700 PPH.

This thread is fairly old but maybe if you stayed in the union and are still bouncing around the idea of becoming a part-time sup here is some input from someone who felt almost exactly the same as you.

I was at UPS for little over a year and I was working with the same work ethic you were. I started my career loading barely 100 pph my first week, and by the second week I was in fear of being cut because of my performance. I was severely overweight and feeling a storm of rejection approaching from my lack luster loading abilities. Finally one of the other employees on the belt shared some secrets to loading and I finally accomplished a 250 PPH, the feeling was so exciting, I was proud of the work I had accomplished. The following weeks were a climb, fueled by adrenaline I soared far past the average new hire. The end of my first month I loaded a 450 for a total of 2200 boxes. For the year to follow I landed myself in the heaviest destination in the building which normally took 3 loaders and conquered it by myself, and that's where I stayed. I Scanned a minimal of 2500 boxes a night and never went under a 600 pph, normally getting 3000 scans and occasionally peaking at 800,850,900 and even 1000 pph. The highest loader behind me was maybe a 400-450 pph. I had become the "best employee" and the feeling was incredible.

But...

After nearly a year of intense loading I found myself becoming bitter and irritable. The feeling that once fueled my daily routine had long slipped away and I couldn't help myself but to get caught up on everyone else's "lazy" habits. For about a month I came into work so frustrated with the lack of motivation around me I almost quit.

Then my Full-Timer approached me with an offer to be a PT sup. Instantly the idea thrilled me, a new quest to conquer, I spent the next week thinking it over and came to the conclusion that loading just wasn't for me anymore, I had got into incredible shape and I felt that most low seniority jobs were just not going to quench my thirst.

I've been a PT Sup for about 3 months now and survived my first peak and I think I have a decent feel for what the job has to offer.

Making a career out of union work just isn't in the cards for people like you and I, we live in the moment and take work as a hobby and less a chore. We thrive on competition and daily achievements. The problem is management work at UPS is also not the place for us. It too supports the "lazy" worker, most pt sups cheese all of their paperwork, neglect doing any sort of physical work that they are in their rights to do and take credit for work that they didn't do. "Hitting your numbers" is very much swinging in the dark and it's something you should strive for but never take seriously.

But...

I think you should take the job. These brown building we find ourselves in are just stepping stones, you've gained all you can from union work and it's time you get your hands wet with some of the skills you can develop as a supervisor and when you've exhausted that you can keep on moving towards something new.

As a supervisor I've found my groove and got my belt to be #1 as far as numbers. Your hard work will show and like in the union the rewards are minimal.

It's all worth it as long as you continue to put in the type of work you are capable of. Just learn what you can and keep pushing and eventually the right door will open.

p.s. safety safety safety :)

advice?
First off why do you care how hard anyone else works if all you really care about is yourself. Those guys with 5 weeks vacation have at least 8 to 10 years and were paying their dues when you were still crapping your pants and popping zits. Go be a part time puke and change the world. Usually these little turds go into part time supervision because they are lazy and you sound the part. You've been here like a year and you think since you are faster as a 20 year old punk that someone with 17 years that loaded for 6 to 10 should go back into the load because you are some kind of superstar. Get over yourself.