I wonder the %

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well after the next 2 yrs you 'll be closer to your family. That's well worth it. My only regret is I didn't play baseball in college. Just basketball.

I got to see parts of the world that I never would have had it been on my own dime.

My ex's Dad was a lifer so she moved all over the world. She was adamant that she did not want our kids to do the same.

I would have been 41 when I retired. I would have had to start a second career.

During the last 6 months to a year of my enlistment I sent out more resumes than I care to remember, hoping to parlay my business degree and military experience in to a solid career. I did not receive a single response.

UPS was not even on my radar. I called a friend of mine who I had been stationed with here and he told me that UPS was hiring. At that time you had to apply through the local Job Services office. I did, was interviewed and hired. It didn't hurt that the DM at the time was also a vet.

11 months to a FT job and less than 2 years to go before I retire.

I look at what my son is doing now and know in my heart that I had the qualifications to be doing the same. That's the part that upsets me. Not the money or the benefits. The fact that I use my back and not my brain.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
For me. I don't want to leave the mainland. There is more to see. Right here in the Usa. Just the history is amazing too me. After I finally get to retire. I'll go out west. Just to see that side. Never been past Ohio.

My wife said to me try UPS. After a yr or two of installing carpet. My dad had a standard. I practiced for a couple hours. Went down and did the rd test. Since then?

In the end. As parents. We want our kids to be better than us. I feel GOD has a plan for us. Mine was to work my ass off for UPS. To feed 6 kids.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, we all want our kids to do better than us, not just financially but as overall persons (people?).

I enjoyed my year in Sicily. Experienced a culture that I never would have had otherwise. There were many who never left the base other than when they left to go back home for good.

I will never forget my immediate supervisor. We had local nationals come in and clean our office but rather than learning a few basic Italian words he would just talk louder to them.

I also enjoyed our 4 years in West Texas. My ex was able to advance her nursing career and I thoroughly enjoyed life on a training base. 2.5 hour lunches, taking turns leaving early on Friday, the flightline shutting down almost like clockwork every afternoon in the summer due to thunderstorms in the area.

One of the raps against the military are the substandard medical care on on base schools. Our kids would have received their medical care and gone to school off base.

Sports were a big part of their lives growing up and would have been had we stayed on active duty.

My son did tell me a few years ago that my ex conceded that she felt bad about forcing me to separate from the military.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
That is another thing. Sub standard health care for the military is unconscionable. Makes me sick.

Maybe if you stayed military? You would have stayed together. UPS can take it's toll. With the hours. Military is almost this time to that time.