I worked there

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by joseph ferrante, Aug 27, 2016.

1. joseph ferrante

joseph ferrante New Member

In 1977,1978,1979 and 1980 i worked the open season where you could work june, july and august......october, november and december without having to join the union, I was paid $1.00 an hour less than the drivers made which was $12.00 an hour then. I worked 2 hours overtime a night, grossed $660 and took home $440 a week, that was good money back then. I loved the job, it taught me how to work hard and do several things at once. The day went buy quick, It was hard work but the money was great. When I got home from work I was so tired all that I could do was take a shower,eat supper then go to bed. They would make a list of all the seasonal drivers how good they were and would call some of them back to be hired full time, Unfortunately I was never called to be hired full time. Oh well, I could always come back for another temp period. I was a self employed carpenter and business was not so good so UPS saved the day for me, I have many good memories of all the people I used to meet on my route. In 1982 I was hired by the peabody police dept as a full tie patrolman. I spent 28 years working the night shift there and am now retired.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Cool story bro.
  3. ChrisTheBrown

ChrisTheBrown Active Member

Cute story bro.
  4. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

Here it is almost 40 years later, and PT'ers start off around the same amount of money/hr. Progress, I tell ya.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  5. Brownslave688

I'm pretty sure driver wages were only 8 something in the late 70's. No?
  6. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Back when times were better at UPS. Congrats on your retirement.
  7. retiredTxfeeder

$8.41/hr as I remember when I started in '76. My point being back then, there was very little difference in pay between the 2 jobs/hr. It took 4 months (120 days)to reach top pay back then.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Brownslave688

Yeah I knew that. I was just pretty sure the op was full of it with his $12 an hour in 1977
  9. retiredTxfeeder

I'm not 100% sure of the wage...It's sometimes kinda foggy in my old head, but I think I started out at $7.41/hr in November of '76. $8.41 is what drivers made back then.
  10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I like farting under water.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. joseph ferrante

In 1977 I started out making I think it was $9.00 plus and hour, $1275 in 1980 I remember that clearly.
  12. joseph ferrante

Oh and I forgot to tell you that in 2 weeks I am going back to work at UPS going to work the am pre load part time package handler I am looking forward to it.
    • List
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Will you still be able to collect your full pension when you return to work?

Why in the world would you want to sling boxes at your age?
  14. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

We forgot to tell you to change your screen name and picture if that is really you.
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Seriously? You don't know who is in that picture? Think "The Presidio".
  16. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

$8.79 here in 1978.
  17. softshoe

softshoe Member

I agree, I started in '76 and that sounds about right.
  18. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

Unless you are in dire financial straights I wouldn't go back

. Be prepared to work way to hard for very little pay and no appreciation from sups. Also no one will care you were a cop and don't assault anyone like many former police officers do when they go into other jobs. You will not be above the law anymore, you will just a be a cog in a package moving machine and when you break they will throw you out a like a used diaper. Good luck
  19. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

In 82 it was $12 and change
  20. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

You can deliver envelopes part time at fedex for better pay