I worked there

In 1977,1978,1979 and 1980 i worked the open season where you could work june, july and august......october, november and december without having to join the union, I was paid $1.00 an hour less than the drivers made which was $12.00 an hour then. I worked 2 hours overtime a night, grossed $660 and took home $440 a week, that was good money back then. I loved the job, it taught me how to work hard and do several things at once. The day went buy quick, It was hard work but the money was great. When I got home from work I was so tired all that I could do was take a shower,eat supper then go to bed. They would make a list of all the seasonal drivers how good they were and would call some of them back to be hired full time, Unfortunately I was never called to be hired full time. Oh well, I could always come back for another temp period. I was a self employed carpenter and business was not so good so UPS saved the day for me, I have many good memories of all the people I used to meet on my route. In 1982 I was hired by the peabody police dept as a full tie patrolman. I spent 28 years working the night shift there and am now retired.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In 1977,1978,1979 and 1980 i worked the open season where you could work june, july and august......october, november and december without having to join the union, I was paid $1.00 an hour less than the drivers made which was $12.00 an hour then. I worked 2 hours overtime a night, grossed $660 and took home $440 a week, that was good money back then. I loved the job, it taught me how to work hard and do several things at once. The day went buy quick, It was hard work but the money was great. When I got home from work I was so tired all that I could do was take a shower,eat supper then go to bed. They would make a list of all the seasonal drivers how good they were and would call some of them back to be hired full time, Unfortunately I was never called to be hired full time. Oh well, I could always come back for another temp period. I was a self employed carpenter and business was not so good so UPS saved the day for me, I have many good memories of all the people I used to meet on my route. In 1982 I was hired by the peabody police dept as a full tie patrolman. I spent 28 years working the night shift there and am now retired.
Back when times were better at UPS. Congrats on your retirement.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
$8.41/hr as I remember when I started in '76. My point being back then, there was very little difference in pay between the 2 jobs/hr. It took 4 months (120 days)to reach top pay back then.
Yeah I knew that. I was just pretty sure the op was full of it with his $12 an hour in 1977

Dr.Brownz

Unless you are in dire financial straights I wouldn't go back

. Be prepared to work way to hard for very little pay and no appreciation from sups. Also no one will care you were a cop and don't assault anyone like many former police officers do when they go into other jobs. You will not be above the law anymore, you will just a be a cog in a package moving machine and when you break they will throw you out a like a used diaper. Good luck