IamFedExGround

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Maybe things would be better if your wife got a job.

She has one, and she's quite the smart woman. However, I'm glad she doesn't have a job like yours, which involves lying, misrepresentation, and outright obfuscation. You know, selling your soul to be the devil's (Fred's) online representative. How do you live with yourself?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
See?! I knew there was a reason I didn't completely discount the claim! But I gotta ask, does it hurt and is it actually flying or as Woody would say, "falling with style"?

They're just like the ones from the "Wizard of Oz". Yep, it hurts, but Fred has "expanded my horizons" over the years.

bbsam

Staff member
They're just like the ones from the "Wizard of Oz". Yep, it hurts, but Fred has "expanded my horizons" over the years.
And over the years I had thought you inflexible! My bad. Don't suppose they were "grease monkeys" were they?

thedownhillEXPRESS

Initially I would think the same but I would think immediate citation. Are there other factors? Excessive motorcycle speed (I've been guilty of that)? Riding while impaired? Or maybe it was the Ground driver's fault. I'm just surprised there was no ticket issued immediately. Care to explain?

Wow, really?
An accident , especially one involving death, and you think they can just whip up a decision that quick on scene?
How about toxicology tests, accident reconstruction needing to be done etc....
My money is on the ground bum being cited and charged, just going by the track record of course.....

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Since when do we get into the habit of personal attacks? What does your wife do for a living 59 Dano? Stay on subject will you.... And if not at least get creative and leave the wives out of it.

I'm talking about the wife of the Ground driver in MFE's story.

Jesus H, some people.

HomeDelivery

Something similar to ROADS will be hitting our station July 18th.

thanks for that reply... wonders if it'll be successful over there.

I knew they had this system already in that division because a manager had set me up with a supplemental route a few years back with a HD-style stop-order manifest, maps, and time commit pups on a separate sheet (so i can break trace and go get them before they close). I just hated driving those 26 ft straight truck in residential suburbian streets...

----------------------------------

as for that motorcycle incident, i'll wait for the results... why didn't the cyclist at least weave to the left? unless he was going too fast for his skills (i've seen too many on the road these days with little / no experience with riding a 2 wheeler safely)

bbsam

Staff member
It's similar to HD with a manifest downloaded to the scanner. Ops managers are prodding for more and more information to better serve regular customers. All part of Vision.

bbsam

Staff member
Wow, really?
An accident , especially one involving death, and you think they can just whip up a decision that quick on scene?
How about toxicology tests, accident reconstruction needing to be done etc....
My money is on the ground bum being cited and charged, just going by the track record of course.....
Yes, really. Preliminary charge, others could follow. Wow. Don't you guys know anything about law enforcement? You know, skid marks, angle of trajectory, etc. That doesn't take days. In fact, waiting could cause problems. I'm not saying the Ground guy isn't at fault. I'm saying that law enforcement has not said it and that seems significant to me.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Wow that hits close to home!! You know I have been on here in the past talking about how Ground guys getting screwed. I will tell all of you that in my everyday going ons I run into Ground drivers that are always running because they don't want to be out there all day because of low wages at 650 a week. I have always said that you get what you pay for and why it is very tragic that someone lost there life due to a Ground driver rushing to get his job done I am surprised I don't see more of this everyday.
The connection that I have to this accident is that is my brothers old route. Over a year ago his Contractor passed away and he continued to work until they could find a buyer for the routes. The first thing the new Contractor did was get rid of my brother and 2 other guys because he felt 650 a week was to much. They brought in new drivers for 450 a week. They replaced good qualified drivers that had been there for 3 to 7 years and brought in guys willing to work for less. It was bad enough that my brother already recieved food stamps and medi-cal because of his low wage with no OT, breaks or lunches but he lost his job so they could bring in someone willing to work for 200 a week less with no prior experience. This is what happens when a multi billion dollar company runs a scam like this. Accidents happen everyday and that is understandable but when your running your butt off for below minimum wage plus having to pick up 2 fed ex offices a night starting at 6am and not getting back in til after 830 at night with no lunches and breaks whose fault is it. Its the drivers of course but remember if he told his boss no he would of been fired.
Due to my brother running this old route I can tell you that it is rural and open roads in the Country where drivers can drive up to 20 to 30 miles hour faster than the posted speed limit because there is very little police presence. I know I see the Ground driver flying all over my route because he covers the area of 6 UPS trucks. FedEx has everything to do with this kind of tragedy!!! I know that Ups is not free of accidents like this but from speaking with my brother and other Ground drivers in my area there is a direct connection with accidents like this and a workforce that feels the only way they are making a decent wage is going as fast as possible so they get done early enough to feel like they are not getting screwed. FedEx Ground definatley has made it this type of atmosphere. But then again why would FedEx Care when remember this is not their employee anyways is it!!!
Heres a little hint for the DOT check that drivers log for the day and you will see no lunches and breaks because employees of Independent Contractors do not get them there is no where for them even to punch out... Good Job FedEx how many more innocent lives need to be lost before you guys get a clue.

Nick9075

Wow that hits close to home!! You know I have been on here in the past talking about how Ground guys getting screwed. I will tell all of you that in my everyday going ons I run into Ground drivers that are always running because they don't want to be out there all day because of low wages at 650 a week. I have always said that you get what you pay for and why it is very tragic that someone lost there life due to a Ground driver rushing to get his job done I am surprised I don't see more of this everyday.
The connection that I have to this accident is that is my brothers old route. Over a year ago his Contractor passed away and he continued to work until they could find a buyer for the routes. The first thing the new Contractor did was get rid of my brother and 2 other guys because he felt 650 a week was to much. They brought in new drivers for 450 a week. They replaced good qualified drivers that had been there for 3 to 7 years and brought in guys willing to work for less. It was bad enough that my brother already recieved food stamps and medi-cal because of his low wage with no OT, breaks or lunches but he lost his job so they could bring in someone willing to work for 200 a week less with no prior experience. This is what happens when a multi billion dollar company runs a scam like this. Accidents happen everyday and that is understandable but when your running your butt off for below minimum wage plus having to pick up 2 fed ex offices a night starting at 6am and not getting back in til after 830 at night with no lunches and breaks whose fault is it. Its the drivers of course but remember if he told his boss no he would of been fired.
Due to my brother running this old route I can tell you that it is rural and open roads in the Country where drivers can drive up to 20 to 30 miles hour faster than the posted speed limit because there is very little police presence. I know I see the Ground driver flying all over my route because he covers the area of 6 UPS trucks. FedEx has everything to do with this kind of tragedy!!! I know that Ups is not free of accidents like this but from speaking with my brother and other Ground drivers in my area there is a direct connection with accidents like this and a workforce that feels the only way they are making a decent wage is going as fast as possible so they get done early enough to feel like they are not getting screwed. FedEx Ground definatley has made it this type of atmosphere. But then again why would FedEx Care when remember this is not their employee anyways is it!!!
Heres a little hint for the DOT check that drivers log for the day and you will see no lunches and breaks because employees of Independent Contractors do not get them there is no where for them even to punch out... Good Job FedEx how many more innocent lives need to be lost before you guys get a clue.

That contractor is paying a driver $450 a week?? seriously?? That seems even too low for a helper.. The routes I am buying have 2 drivers @ $650 a week each & 2 helpers @ $450 a week each. I have to say that when I rode on the routes they seemed pretty happy and didn't really have any complaints.. The work day is around 8 hours and that is in NYC --- both routes do around 2,000 packages together per week I want to pay more but one issue is that the workers comp insurance is ridiculously high. I am hoping to get that down at least $200 a week. Otherwise at least until the fall I will be working on a very tight margin -- $5,000 a week net after all expenses & deductions seems like a pipe dream

jimm1

Maybe he wasn't charged or cited because the motorcycle hit the back half of truck without a skid mark sounds like biker wasn't in control either

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Brown287 nailed the whole LCD philosophy of the Ground scam. Do it for less, and safety and professionalism absolutely do not matter.