IBT proposal thus far.

opie

Didn't see anything new on creating more FT jobs, specifically 22.3 jobs. Only that company has to maintain current jobs and create full-time jobs as promised in previous contracts. They said this in the last contact, and the company is still dragging its feet...It did say more proposals are going to be submitted with the economic proposals, so maybe they aren't done.

PT Car Washer

And you have to work another full year worth of reports to get your following years vacation. You'd basically come back and not have a single week of vacation through a full report cycle. How is that fair to make them "earn" the credits for the following year since they were fighting for our freedom?
I left in Oct and came back Sept. the next year and received all 7 weeks the next year. also paid for the 7 weeks I was gone. Maybe UPS gave me a freebi I don't know.

stink219

Half accurate. North East was a restructure not a bailout.

LOL - now that's a good example of splitting hairs there.
Ever thought about running for a political office?
Do you even know anything about it? What was bailed out? The fact the UPS had to pay their owed unfounded liability which was a check for 90 million? The fact that they slid into their own pool which won't force them to owe anymore unfounded amount but owe 43 million dollars for 50 years? The fact we had a return of 14% on investments? If it makes you feel better to call it a bailout, go ahead.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do you even know anything about it? What was bailed out? The fact the UPS had to pay their owed unfounded liability which was a check for 90 million? The fact that they slid into their own pool which won't force them to owe anymore unfounded amount but owe 43 million dollars for 50 years? The fact we had a return of 14% on investments? If it makes you feel better to call it a bailout, go ahead.

It does make me feel better ... thanks.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This was posted late last year, on a website that I won't mention for the benefit of Stink219 not thread crapping. I wonder how much progress has been made since.

stink219

This was posted late last year, on a website that I won't mention for the benefit of Stink219 not thread crapping. I wonder how much progress has been made since.
Or you could show up to a union meeting every once in a while and get it from your BA's desk a month before. Just the fact you replied means that this thread is now crap.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Or you could show up to a union meeting every once in a while and get it from your BA's desk a month before. Just the fact you replied means that this thread is now crap.

I show up to every union meeting. My BA isn't sharing copies of the proposal.

Try again!

beentheredonethat

I love this... the union pisses away the money in the pension fund, and due to laws about multi employer funds, the last company standing gets stuck with the bill. So UPS is paying for piss poor mgmt of the teamster pension fund to the tuen of 43 million per year for 50 years. You don't call that a bailout? That's laugable.

As I've said many times before, show a financial advisor what UPS contributes on your behalf for pension (esp in New England). Then show them what you get at retirement. They will tell you that you are getting screwed. Up in New England, add in the fact that UPS contributes to the pension fund for PT'ers many of which won't make it til 5 year vesting. You should have huge pensions..

stink219

I love this... the union pisses away the money in the pension fund, and due to laws about multi employer funds, the last company standing gets stuck with the bill. So UPS is paying for piss poor mgmt of the teamster pension fund to the tuen of 43 million per year for 50 years. You don't call that a bailout? That's laugable.

As I've said many times before, show a financial advisor what UPS contributes on your behalf for pension (esp in New England). Then show them what you get at retirement. They will tell you that you are getting screwed. Up in New England, add in the fact that UPS contributes to the pension fund for PT'ers many of which won't make it til 5 year vesting. You should have huge pensions..
My apologies, I misposted, it was 900 million in a lump sum. The other 43 mil for 50 years is to cover a total of 2 billion. Do you even know how unfunded liability works? Do you even know how many mom and pop trucking companies went out of business due to the piss poor economy? EN pension is not perfect, but it runs circles around other teamsters locals all that had a bad hit. Make sure your investor consults actuaries so he knows people are living longer. I love how people can post on BC without fact. I'm going to go into work every Friday and ask for my bailout check instead of my paycheck. I'm just gonna call it a bailout.

This is from a public website.
Right from UPS's backyard:
ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--UPS (NYSE:UPS) today announced an agreement with the New England Teamsters and Trucking Industry Pension Fund (NETTI) to restructure pension liabilities for approximately 10,200 UPS employees.

“This transfer will remove uncertainty associated with this plan for our people while being fair to the company and our investors.”
The agreement reflects a decision by NETTI’s trustees to establish a second pension plan “pool” to make it more attractive for new employers to join the Fund. Such a structure is designed to allow employers to assume responsibility only for their own employees without regard to any previous Fund liabilities. For UPS, this structure allows the company to freeze its liability in the original pool, establish its payment obligations and move UPS employees into the new pool.

UPS will record a one-time charge of $896 million in the third quarter. This charge represents the present value of the company’s $2.1 billion withdrawal liability from the original pool, which it will pay over the next 50 years. Subject to approval by local unions, the withdrawal will be effective Sept. 16, 2012.

In addition, UPS and NETTI have agreed to a contribution rate for future accruals designed to ensure UPS employees do not see a reduction in their pension benefits and the company will not be required to increase cash contributions for 10 years.

“UPS’s goal when considering any change to participation in a multi-employer pension plan is to safeguard the pensions earned by our employees in a cost-effective manner,” said John McDevitt, UPS’s senior vice president of human resources and labor relations. “This transfer will remove uncertainty associated with this plan for our people while being fair to the company and our investors.”

So your so called bailout, is actually money that is owed.

beentheredonethat

My apologies, I misposted, it was 900 million in a lump sum. The other 43 mil for 50 years is to cover a total of 2 billion. Do you even know how unfunded liability works? Do you even know how many mom and pop trucking companies went out of business due to the piss poor economy? EN pension is not perfect, but it runs circles around other teamsters locals all that had a bad hit. Make sure your investor consults actuaries so he knows people are living longer. I love how people can post on BC without fact. I'm going to go into work every Friday and ask for my bailout check instead of my paycheck. I'm just gonna call it a bailout.

This is from a public website.
Right from UPS's backyard:
ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--UPS (NYSE:UPS) today announced an agreement with the New England Teamsters and Trucking Industry Pension Fund (NETTI) to restructure pension liabilities for approximately 10,200 UPS employees.

“This transfer will remove uncertainty associated with this plan for our people while being fair to the company and our investors.”
The agreement reflects a decision by NETTI’s trustees to establish a second pension plan “pool” to make it more attractive for new employers to join the Fund. Such a structure is designed to allow employers to assume responsibility only for their own employees without regard to any previous Fund liabilities. For UPS, this structure allows the company to freeze its liability in the original pool, establish its payment obligations and move UPS employees into the new pool.

UPS will record a one-time charge of $896 million in the third quarter. This charge represents the present value of the company’s $2.1 billion withdrawal liability from the original pool, which it will pay over the next 50 years. Subject to approval by local unions, the withdrawal will be effective Sept. 16, 2012.

In addition, UPS and NETTI have agreed to a contribution rate for future accruals designed to ensure UPS employees do not see a reduction in their pension benefits and the company will not be required to increase cash contributions for 10 years.

“UPS’s goal when considering any change to participation in a multi-employer pension plan is to safeguard the pensions earned by our employees in a cost-effective manner,” said John McDevitt, UPS’s senior vice president of human resources and labor relations. “This transfer will remove uncertainty associated with this plan for our people while being fair to the company and our investors.”

So your so called bailout, is actually money that is owed.

The difference really between a pension fund for a group, and an individual retirement savings account is that any one person can live a short amount of time, or live a long amount of time. The pension fund for a group allows actuaries to know with a very large degree of certainty, how long the average person will live and how much they need to pay for his\her pension checks. They have no clue which person will die and who, but they know how many will and when. With this, and knowing how much is promised, they can determine what they need for payment per year into the plan and return on investment. Or.. conversely know what the payment is and planned rate of return and know what they can give out for a pension check.

When a company stops contributing, because they go out of business, then that employee no longer earns years of vesting credit. Similar to if they just quit the company. This should have no impact at all to the fund, since no additional liabilities are added to the fund. YOU are describing a ponzi scheme and explaining the problem is that there aren't enough new people to pay the older people. That may be how the govt handles the pension fund and also how the teamsters handle a pension fund. But that's not how a well run pension fund should be run. PONZI... check out the defintion, since that's what you are desribing.

Again, the amount OWED, was due to laws passed that hurt the well run surviving companies. UPS wanted to get out of having more liabilties thru no fault of their own, so they paid money now so they wouldn't have to pay more later. IMO, this is a ridiculous law. But it is the law and we have to live with it.

stink219

ANYWAY, sorry to the OP for diverting off topic to why the Teamsters needed to restructure UPS's Credit Restructuring Accumulated Payment. There might be an acronym they call it, not sure what.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Some pretty costly proposals in there and I can understand why economic proposals will not be submitted until a later date ... there may not be any money left!

I guess this is the equally outrageous response to UPS's initial proposal.

You got put blame where blame belongs. People don't want to work 10-11-12 hours everyday, week after week, month after month. i don't mind the OT but most are satisfied with long hours during peak then 8-9hrs pre & post peak.

FAVREFAN

Didn't see anything new on creating more FT jobs, specifically 22.3 jobs. Only that company has to maintain current jobs and create full-time jobs as promised in previous contracts. They said this in the last contact, and the company is still dragging its feet...It did say more proposals are going to be submitted with the economic proposals, so maybe they aren't done.

We don't need anymore 22.3's. Half of them are lazy as can be in my local and many have FMLA and use it multiple times every week. It's almost a joke at this point. Although there are plenty who do a good job. The union should fight for more package car jobs and feeder jobs for those who have put their time in package car to move up if they choose to do so. I think more 22.3 jobs should be the last of our concerns at the bargaining table this time. Package car jobs, pensions, health care, part-time wages, wages and 9.5 issues should be all we worry about this time as well as a few other issues. I rank new 22.3 jobs very last on a long list of concerns.

CFLBrown

whats the reasoning behind requiring UPS to continue medical coverage for soldiers who get deployed? Don't active soldiers already get better health coverage than we do? Whats the point in double-covering them?

Do the spouse/dependents of active duty soldiers get medical coverage from the govt during deployment?

brown_trousers

Do the spouse/dependents of active duty soldiers get medical coverage from the govt during deployment?

Im not 100% sure. But I would guess that to be true. Soldiers recieve very good coverage and id bet it extends to their families as well. Is their anyone here that has been active duty military that can answer this?

PT Car Washer

Im not 100% sure. But I would guess that to be true. Soldiers recieve very good coverage and id bet it extends to their families as well. Is their anyone here that has been active duty military that can answer this?

Yes you go on Tricare. Very good, but easier to stay with what you are used to. UPS covered my family up to a year I believe.