Ideal Degrees for Management

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you guys really should have been more encouraging.

I mean, he could have been the one in 10,000 good managers. I knew 2 or 3 good ones in my career.
all 3 went out with mental breakdowns , though.

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
I decided not to go management.

Hopefully, after I put in some time, I'll have a place in the union leadership and will be able to actually use my current degree for good.

I just took the MRE & am awaiting my results. It was an awful 4 hours. Good luck on the union side. Having a soul & being in management don't mix, lol.

bagpipes

There's a certain irony present when the same people who want a healthy company (run by those who started at the bottom) so they can keep their jobs/pension, try to discourage those who would consider going into management to keep it healthy.

bagpipes

Not that I disagree with a lot of the posts - but I'd guess most of us have had good and bad managers... perhaps things would be better if some folks weren't dissuaded from going to the dark side.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
There's a certain irony present when the same people who want a healthy company (run by those who started at the bottom) so they can keep their jobs/pension, try to discourage those who would consider going into management to keep it healthy.
and here lies the problem....longtime drivers never go into operations....for a reason

ChiefO

The tuition assistance is excellent, they're paying for my college right now. If you're looking for someone to convince you to go into management, you probably won't find it here...I looked here before going into my PT Sup position and saw nothing but crap.

I don't know how it is in larger centers, but in my center of 20 drivers, my driver like me. I do what I can to help them out, while still doing my job.

As for a degree, I heard it doesn't really matter what kind of degree you have and that a bachelors is plenty.

If you want the easy route, but if you've already got a degree, go management. I've been a PT Sup since October and am about to be sent to integrad to prep me to be a full-time on-road supervisor, without a degree.

The tuition assistance is excellent, they're paying for my college right now. If you're looking for someone to convince you to go into management, you probably won't find it here...I looked here before going into my PT Sup position and saw nothing but crap.

I don't know how it is in larger centers, but in my center of 20 drivers, my driver like me. I do what I can to help them out, while still doing my job.

As for a degree, I heard it doesn't really matter what kind of degree you have and that a bachelors is plenty.

If you want the easy route, but if you've already got a degree, go management. I've been a PT Sup since October and am about to be sent to integrad to prep me to be a full-time on-road supervisor, without a degree.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there really is no hope for this company. it jumped the shark years and years ago. anyone who goes into management has a screw loose . many of you PT supes start out with excellent intentions , I'll give you that, but eventually you all turn into :censored2:s . just like the resident :censored2: mangers here on the bc.

ChiefO

there really is no hope for this company. it jumped the shark years and years ago. anyone who goes into management has a screw loose . many of you PT supes start out with excellent intentions , I'll give you that, but eventually you all turn into :censored2:s . just like the resident :censored2: mangers here on the bc.

Our HR guy came through town and finally made me shave my beard...Is this the beginning of my plunge into madness?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You newbies are so cute.

Maybe in your 20 driver center, you get along with everyone and the air smell like sweet unicorn farts.

Someday, if you make it as a FT supe, you'll get moved into a bigger center where nobody cares about you. Mayberry to downtown Compton will be a shock.

Good luck.