Idle time

bluehdmc

i wrote to the manufacturer ( Motorola ) about the flaw that the IVIS recorded idle time at stop lights and slow speeds and that we were being harassed about said flaw. I had a run with a lot of stop and go freeway traffic.

did not receive a reply.

Did you really expect one?

UpsYours

True for package car drivers. If you manually enter your truck number the telematics won't show up. I'm not advocating it but if your barcode is messed up and you have to manually enter your employee ID. Well telematics won't show for that truck that day.

i manually put my truck number in every day and they came to me about my idle time when we were first on the telematics like 3 months ago.i spend a lot of time at red lights on my route..

gman042

Been around the block a few times
For the record, we in automotive would prefer you do keep idling rather than all the on and off.

Hard on the engines to say the least. Especially in the bitter cold. UPS would much rather replace engines than allow employees the slightest amount of creature comforts....such as warmth.

bluehdmc

For the record, we in automotive would prefer you do keep idling rather than all the on and off.

This is a classic "left hand not knowing what the right is doing". Management worries about idle time because of fuel usage. Automotive would probably have to replace less starter motors, probably less wear and tear on batteries, ignition switches etc. With diesels the turbos might last longer also.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is a classic "left hand not knowing what the right is doing". Management worries about idle time because of fuel usage. Automotive would probably have to replace less starter motors, probably less wear and tear on batteries, ignition switches etc. With diesels the turbos might last longer also.

local level management could care less about fuel usage or wear and tear on the equipment.

This whole "idle time" deal is simply a standard example of chasing a number. Someone in a cubicle in Atlanta with too much authority and too little common sense pulled a bright idea about reducing idle time out of his ass, and wrote a memo. He thought to himself "we will go green" so he decided in his infinite wisdom that we would reduce idle time by x percent and he issued an edict to that effect. Everybody below him in the corporate chain of command is simply doing what we do best at ups, which is to mindlessly chase stupid numbers. The reality of fuel usage or wear and tear on the equipment means nothing; the only thing that matters is the number that shows up on the daily report.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

Fuel costs are way less than the cost of parts and wear&tear, especially when you consider the fragile diesels we have today. A reman is $10k. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. Down time, labor, etc.

Last edited:

Tiny Panda

My new truck is so efficient and eco friendly it produces virtually no heat after half an hr of idling on my lunch break. It ok normally but anything below -5 and i struggle to stay warm.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
My new truck is so efficient and eco friendly it produces virtually no heat after half an hr of idling on my lunch break. It ok normally but anything below -5 and i struggle to stay warm.

You're talking Centigrade, right?Thermal efficiency and a high capacity heater can lead to stripping away pretty much all the heat there is to be had from the engine.