Idle times

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I am 30 minutes or under unless I run doubles. They allow you to run the tractor without you being in it after you connect the second trailer to bring up the air so I do just that.

Remember, all variables in everyone's day are included in every measurement of time. There is nothing they didn't consider! Setting up doubles, providing air to air trailers, defrosting windows, traffic, etc. It's all accounted for. :rolleyes2::winks:

Hangingon

They allow you to run the tractor without you being in it after you connect the second trailer to bring up the air so I do just that.

Wow, they threaten to fire us if we leave the keys in when feet are on the ground, can't imagine them ever allowing us to leave the tractor running while we're in the back setting up doubles.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Wow, they threaten to fire us if we leave the keys in when feet are on the ground, can't imagine them ever allowing us to leave the tractor running while we're in the back setting up doubles.

I find it interesting since I have been coming to Brown Cafe to learn how much different the company's practices and policies can be.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I find it interesting since I have been coming to Brown Cafe to learn how much different the company's practices and policies can be.

Believe me it was a different company before they went public. Worse thing to ever happen to UPS is going public. Or is it pubic. I think I prefer UPS went pubic.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Now that diesel is back to 3.19 why I submit to you a plan to increase idle time to an hour & a half!!! two hrs if you do an airport in cold weather!!!! YEAH !!:surprised: like that will evah happen !!

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Our idle time standard is 34 minutes. I generally run in the high teens. If I get stuck in the work going on on the Tappan Zee I shut it down until I am moving again. I have seen the sticker on the visor about the 3 minute idle procedure in my Mack but if they dont want me idling the new turbo is on them. My tractor just got a new turbo actually. Cost is 1400.00 for the turbo. shop manager wuz pissed too:funny:-least thats what my mechanic told me:wink2:

bluehdmc

Our idle time standard is 34 minutes. I generally run in the high teens. If I get stuck in the work going on on the Tappan Zee I shut it down until I am moving again. I have seen the sticker on the visor about the 3 minute idle procedure in my Mack but if they dont want me idling the new turbo is on them. My tractor just got a new turbo actually. Cost is 1400.00 for the turbo. shop manager wuz pissed too:funny:-least thats what my mechanic told me:wink2:

I come over the Tappan Zee myself. I won't shut down when stopped in traffic like that. All that shutting off and restarting is also hard on starters, if the Shop manager was pissed about the turbo, imagine how many people would be pissed about the towing bill, the possible missed sort, etc, etc, if you couldn't restart the truck. I haven't heard of anyone getting fired for excessive idling, the most that seems to happen is a slap on the wrist. If they asked me why it was so high and it was because of being stuck in traffic, I'd tell them the above, then let them tell me to shut it off. (I might try to get it in writing also, just to cover myself in the future.)

feeder53

ADKtrails
I was told that it was 30 minutes, but was never talked to about it even though I was doing yardwork and it had to be high. I was also told never to leave the keys in the tractor if I were not there in the cab.

xracer

Occasionally there is a chart put up on our feeder board with a line drawn and the letters NFG written with an arrow for all drivers with over 30 minutes idle time. Oddly enough when they put the paper up with max RPM's and speed there is nothing written about all of the drivers that show up with speeds up around 80 mph.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Xracer that is discrimination and used as a tool to single out employees. No reports should be out and about with other drivers info to be seen by all.

Channahon

Before any management people have a chance to post telling us that we are just ignorant feeder drivers and we should do as we are told, I have a question........how's your dividend check?
or how is your nice warm office!!!!!

I'm not quite sure what a dividend check has to do with this thread, but to answer your question, here you go:

45 cents a share payable Dec 3, 2008, usually this dividend is in January.

For any UPS employee, retiree or any other shareholder who owns UPS stock, well, I don't know that I have seen too many companies in today's economy, paying a dividend like UPS. Which has paid 45 cents every quarter in 2008.

Now that may change in 2009, but for today, that dividend and gas prices under $1.70 work for me and the holiday season.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
45 cents a share payable Dec 3, 2008, I don't know that I have seen too many companies in today's economy, paying a dividend like UPS. Which has paid 45 cents every quarter in 2008.
UPS stock = dead money. Dumped all mine July '07 at $77.003 a share (which after watching it for the previous year and a half was just about at its ceiling). The reason I did it was , the quarterly dividend I was getting on risky stock, I turned into a monthly dividend in an ING Certificate of deposit in safe cash. Best thing I ever did considering share price recently was $30.00 less per share than what I sold it for. I sleep well at night not being in the boat with the thousands that have to "hope" their money someday comes back. Needless to say I'm not a big fan of WALL ST. I've worked too hard for my money to just give it away.

feeder53

ADKtrails
My employer would never post a chart with that type of info on it, They call one in a private area and talk about it if it is a problem. There are a number of different ways to get the point to the person and all companies are different.....

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
An excellent rule. People have DIED because of keys left in the ignition. That is not an exaggeration, simply the truth. Keep those keys with you.

In defense of an earlier post I made: remember, I was trained to leave the tractor running while doing the final inspection after putting together a set. The training I received was from a manager. He said it was the only time you were allowed to have the keys in the ignition and tractor running while you were out of the cab.

I agree that one should normally always remove the keys. I was just stating how things are done in my neck of the woods. I guess I am feeling a little defensive because I don't want anyone to think I am unsafe. I am simply working as directed and deferring to UPS' judgement as to whether their training is safe or not.

Occasionally there is a chart put up on our feeder board with a line drawn and the letters NFG written with an arrow for all drivers with over 30 minutes idle time. Oddly enough when they put the paper up with max RPM's and speed there is nothing written about all of the drivers that show up with speeds up around 80 mph.

In my former building they post idle times too.

And speeds around 80? I have yet to drive a UPS tractor that can get past 68 on level ground. Not that I ever went that fast :wink2:.

SpeedBoat

Retired Feeder Driver
Years ago I found out that if you put your ivis in the holder when you leave the gate. And pull the ivis at the gate when you finish work you will save at least 10 mins.

Dutch Dawg

No matter how many hours worked, no matter how many miles driven, no matter how many trailers handled in one shift; we are to believe that all should achieve the same arbitrary goal with respect to idle time.

While engaged in this very topic with a supervisor recently we exited a building to come upon an unoccupied idling tractor outside the door. To which he implied was mine. I pulled my keys from pocket and replied that I'd be all to happy to discuss the idling tractor in front of us left there by the city driver not monitored by IVIS.

At that point he felt the idling tractor in front of us was no longer an issue.

Again the mentality in management to address only issues that track poorly on paper kicked in for him.

My philosophy on this issue is simple. Work diligently and consciously and if one exceeds this goal while attempting to defog windows, build air pressure, etc...; the failure if any in this area will be managements.