Idling With Tatlematics

menotyou

bella amicizia
I idled my truck. No one said a word to me. Of course, we have already discussed what would be said if they tried to have some words for me. I have more words. Grievance, DOT, DOL, NLRB. Considering what goes on at the center, me idling my truck should be the least of their worries.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just went live with telematics. We were told we no longer can idle during lunch. The rural route guys bring a lunch box for lunch. No restaurants in the woods. Considering that it gets to 30 below here what's our options?

Idle anyway, and then file a grievance if they whine about it. The idiot who came up with that rule did so from within a heated office. What this idiot is incapable of comprehending is that if you sit in a cold truck for any length of time the windshield will fog up and you will have to run the defroster before you can drive again, so you are going to wind up idling either way.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I idled my truck. No one said a word to me. Of course, we have already discussed what would be said if they tried to have some words for me. I have more words. Grievance, DOT, DOL, NLRB. Considering what goes on at the center, me idling my truck should be the least of their worries.

you are such a toughie....love it!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
...nor for you to gain an ounce of common sense.

(Robot voice) I am Joe Union. I must follow the contract letter for letter. I cannot deviate from the contract. The contract and union are my life.

It was never about common sense, rather principles.
As usual, you snapped to a rash judgement trying to show how smart you are.
Then in typical fashion you scramble to save face.
The meer notion that you think sense is common demonstrates you have none.

Last edited:
First really cold day dress warm. Shut off truck as directed. Call center an hour later and tell them truck will not restart.

Repeat as needed until directed that truck needs to remain running during lunch to prevent service calls.

brown_trousers

Its really a non-issue. Just take a your half-hour lunch in the coldest place possible, turn off the engine. Then call in to the center at the end of your lunch telling them you followed their instructions and now need medical assistance because you feel hypothermic. That will be the LAST time they tell you not to idle your car during lunch!

Bristol Brown

Its really a non-issue. Just take a your half-hour lunch in the coldest place possible, turn off the engine. Then call in to the center at the end of your lunch telling them you followed their instructions and now need medical assistance because you feel hypothermic. That will be the LAST time they tell you not to idle your car during lunch!

The only decent answer on the thread.

soberups

The only decent answer on the thread.

Actually, its one of the worst answers on the thread. Feigning the need for medical attention is dishonest, it does nothing to confront the problem head on, and it destroys any credibility that the person making it might have otherwise had.

We already have a system in place for dealing with stupid and arbitrary BS rules like this; its called the grievance procedure. Use it.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I have approached this problem by never turning my truck off. Ever... When I return in the evening I fuel it up and park it with the engine running. When I come in the next day, it's still running. Sure, it's a pain in the ass on weekends ( I have to go in and fuel it on Saturday night), but it's been running continuously for 14 months now. Whenever they check the report it shows 17 to 18 hours of idle time per day, which of course, must be a malfunctioning sensor.

One of these days it will be chilly enough outside for me to turn the heat on during my lunch, and that is when I will have the last laugh.

It just goes to show you, that any problem can be overcome with a little hard work and dedication. :smart:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In CT, they gave us a hard time when Telematics came on

They jumped on residential driveway backing

They jumped on everyone who took more than 1hr 5 min between last stop before lunch and 1st stop after

They jumped on idling in the winter, "WHEN YOU REALLY NEED IT" , but like almost every freaking thing in the company ITS ALL ABOUT NUMBERS. We were told you can have it idling for an hour but not continuous. You have to shut off every 10 minutes and restart it to reset the clock. ALL BS

Now I have keyless start, which is actually OK, but when its 100 degrees and im sitting there and want the fan on, I have to either keep the engine running or turn the keyless on and it automatically shuts off after a minute. Just an absolutly pain in the ass.

OH BTW, THERE ARE MORE CARS RED TAGGED IN MY BUILDING THAN IVE EVER SEEN !!! I THOUGHT TELEMATICS WAS 99% FOR MECHANICS TO KEEP TABS ON THE PACKAGE CARS. I CANT WAIT TO SEE 2013 CONTRACT TALKS

soberups

The frustrating part of all of this....is that we are actually paying a salary to the idiot who is coming up with these asinine rules. It absolutely infuriates me to no end to know that this corporate leech is sitting on his fat, pasty ass and sucking all the oxygen out of a little cubicle someplace while I am out in the real world doing the work and generating the revenue that provides a paycheck to this worthless piece of dead weight.