If Hoffa/Hall want a yes vote...

Atomic_Smurf

Thinking about this contract & the possible ramifications of voting NO & it occurred to me that the only way to save our healthcare at UPS is to repeal the legislation that is guaranteeing it's demise. The company didn't want to be left holding the liability of paying for a specific plan as prices are expected to increase over 100% in some areas when Obamacare takes full affect in 2014. This increase in premiums isn't without cause. The increase is because those that pay health insurance premiums will suddenly be paying for those that do not. The redistribution of healthcare if you will. As UPSers organize to vote "NO" all over the country, Hoffa/Hall need to think about fixing the problem they created by reversing their stance & calling for the full repeal of the Affordable Care Act. It's the only chance we have of saving our healthcare & the only way I'll consider voting yes. Its time for them to man up for their mistakes & remember who they represent. It's time they take a stand for the working class, rank & file Americans that pay their salaries.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Obamacare doesn't take full effect until 2018. UPS wanted the liability of healthcare off of their books to make themselves look better in the eyes of their shareholders.

Atomic_Smurf

Obamacare doesn't take full effect until 2018. UPS wanted the liability of healthcare off of their books to make themselves look better in the eyes of their shareholders.
That's the Cadillac tax that takes affect in 2018. Our leadership worked hard to move that implementation date back, for CEOs I guess...

Atomic_Smurf

Its still on the books. They negotiated a set price & pay the union that amount. Smart for the company, considering what is to come.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Its still on the books. They negotiated a set price & pay the union that amount. Smart for the company, considering what is to come.

I know how it works as I am covered by a Teamster plan. The accounting method used for these payments differs from the one used when they directly provide the coverage hence my statement that the liability is off the books.

Atomic_Smurf

I know how it works as I am covered by a Teamster plan. The accounting method used for these payments differs from the one used when they directly provide the coverage hence my statement that the liability is off the books.
Yes the payments are on a different line but they are still present. UPS still pays, regardless of the "accounting method" used. What UPS has done is tossed the liability of the increased portion of these premiums back on the union. Sort of a way of making our Teamster leaders reap what they've sown. I think we can agree on that.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
How many threads on this topic have you started? At least a dozen.

UPS doesn't want your health anymore -- with or without ObamaCare. Get over it.

Atomic_Smurf

How many threads on this topic have you started? At least a dozen.

UPS doesn't want your health anymore -- with or without ObamaCare. Get over it.
UPS doesn't want our health care because of Obamacare, like most other companies when they learn of the consequences of the legislation. Our union brothers and sisters deserve to know that our union leadership & the liberals in Washington supported the demise of our benefits.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
UPS doesn't want our health care because of Obamacare, like most other companies when they learn of the consequences of the legislation. Our union brothers and sisters deserve to know that our union leadership & the liberals in Washington supported the demise of our benefits.

UPS management has been paying steep fees for its health care for quite some time -- dating back to well before ObamaCare, Obama, and under the Bush Administration. UPS reached a point where it was no longer willing to provide similar benefits to what it had been, and the Teamsters reached a deal to maintain them (for the most part). You and I, and the cost of our health care, are just numbers. Stop fooling yourself in beleiving that UPS cares about you. It doesn't.

Atomic_Smurf

UPS management has been paying steep fees for its health care for quite some time -- dating back to well before ObamaCare, Obama, and under the Bush Administration. UPS reached a point where it was no longer willing to provide similar benefits to what it had been, and the Teamsters reached a deal to maintain them (for the most part). You and I, and the cost of our health care, are just numbers. Stop fooling yourself in beleiving that UPS cares about you. It doesn't.
Nobody is pretending that UPS cares about us & you need to stop pretending that Obama cares about you. Fact is UPS provided great health benefits till Obama came along & started "fixing" it. What happens in Washington has real consequences in our lives. Obamas promises of keeping our current insurance plans, lowering premiums & costing tax payers less than a trillion dollars all turned out to be lies.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Nobody is pretending that UPS cares about us & you need to stop pretending that Obama cares about you. Fact is UPS provided great health benefits till Obama came along & started "fixing" it. What happens in Washington has real consequences in our lives. Obamas promises of keeping our current insurance plans, lowering premiums & costing tax payers less than a trillion dollars all turned out to be lies.

What you've written is a classic example of a logical fallacy.

Upsmule

What you've written is exactly true. And will only prove even more so once This train wreck fully kicks in. But the willfully blind agenda driven voters will keep re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic in spite of what's happening all around them. No change here either.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
What you've written is exactly true. And will only prove even more so once This train wreck fully kicks in. But the willfully blind agenda driven voters will keep re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic in spite of what's happening all around them. No change here either.

Nothing he's written is true. UPS began charging non-union employees for their health insurance many years ago -- long before Obama or RomneyCare came to fruition, and during a Republican-controlled Administration. Hoffa/Hall could've negotiated the status quo benefit package for less than what non-union employees -- including all managerial -- are paying. But Hoffa/Hall insisted on similar, no-cost benefits and designed a proposal that they feel will get it done. The Teamsters had little choice -- they had no bargaining chips and they certainly didn't want to strike.

Honestly, it astounds me how many people live in Fantasy Land in which UPS was willing to pay drivers $75/hour with the same no-cost benefit package. Stop being closed minded, and look at facts.

ls6-m22

I thought the Affordable Care Act was suppose to lower heath care costs?That's what Obama and Pelosi said.They weren't lying were they?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I thought the Affordable Care Act was suppose to lower heath care costs?That's what Obama and Pelosi said.They weren't lying were they?

It's suppose to slow the increase in rising health costs; lowering would be impossible. It hasn't taken effect yet, but over the past year the rise in health care has been the slowest in years -- nearly half the rate it was going up in the past decade -- and many credit ObamaCare already...

moreluck

golden ticket member
al5bif.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is not at all surprising that you are unable to post your own thoughts and must once again rely on the opinions of others to refute my statement. What's that matter, couldn't find an editorial/political cartoon to say it for you?