If the Horn Blows....

JackStraw

Just wondering if your center is on a horn blowing kick. We are getting written up for not doing this ASININE thing and it is mentioned at least twice a week in our PCM. Thought maybe it might just be our anal center manager pulling another page out of the Clarkville manual. I should note that our whole center is DR. Or maybe this is coming from the folks in Atlanta.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I would ask that you be more specific. Depending on when are being instructed to honk your horn, it's in the methods.

You would probably think the amount of horn I do is ridiculous but it's all about safety. I honk when I back every 2 seconds, I honk when I pull up to EVERY stop and I honk the horn when I see what could be potential danger from others in traffic or pedestrians. Make sure they see you. Communicate in traffic by using horns, lights and signals. Establish eye to eye contact. Don't gamble, use horns, lights an signals.

​As I said before, it's all in the methods and you should have been doing it all along anyway.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
One of our irreg train drivers uses his horn to play jingle bells nov-dec. It's about "safety" I'm sure.... but the bastard gets the damn tune stuck in my head for the whole shift. I might just jump in front of his little electric cart one of these days and end it all.

bklynupser

Check local laws. In nyc it against the law for excessive honking. Had a center manager from Long Island tell us that. Told him it's a $500 fine in the city is he or the company going to pay the fine. Last we heard of that ****.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Screw the horn. I never use it unless I see someone I want to alert. Put in back up beepers if they are so worried. They sure worry about my truck idle time, so much in fact, they put in monitors.

raceanoncr

Ever been to Louisville? So big, so many tugs, shifters, feeders, driving outside, inside, around everywhere and all of them honking horns. It may be according to methods but with all those horns, you just get numb to it. IMO, it's overkill and you just start ignoring it after awhile and the intend or purpose is lost.

Solution? I don't know. Maybe make everybody walk. Carry irregs, pull trailers on your back, no more feeders. There, problem solved.

Ever been to Louisville? So big, so many tugs, shifters, feeders, driving outside, inside, around everywhere and all of them honking horns. It may be according to methods but with all those horns, you just get numb to it. IMO, it's overkill and you just start ignoring it after awhile and the intend or purpose is lost.

Solution? I don't know. Maybe make everybody walk. Carry irregs, pull trailers on your back, no more feeders. There, problem solved.

Just like car alarms. Do you really pay attention when you hear one go off ?

over9five

Staff member
Only because my car doesn't have one.
But you must hear them go off all the time. At the mall, at the food store, while CAMPING (I frikken hate that!).
I've never even heard of one going off cuz the car was being broken into, it's always the fool who owns it.

IVE is right, I see bulk carts all the time come up behind people walking blowing the horn and the people don't even hear it cuz they hear it so much. Like a car alarm, they're pretty much useless.

But you must hear them go off all the time. At the mall, at the food store, while CAMPING (I frikken hate that!).
I've never even heard of one going off cuz the car was being broken into, it's always the fool who owns it.

IVE is right, I see bulk carts all the time come up behind people walking blowing the horn and the people don't even hear it cuz they hear it so much. Like a car alarm, they're pretty much useless.

Quit camping in the Wal-Mart parking lot!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality

i hate camping too. Give me a nice hotel with pool or ocean view, lol
my neighbor still can't figure out his new car alarm & it goes off pretty frikken early. It's got a motion detector, that's set way too sensitive.

MassWineGuy

What happened to the OP that inspired him to start this thread? Did you get caught by a supe in a stupid situation where you should have tooted the horn once or twice? Yes, it is really, really laborious and difficult to push that little sucker. I don't know how UPS expects anyone to be able to do it. I'm still recovering from last week.

I have no problem at all with honking the second-long bursts needed to ensure that someone behind, ahead or to the side of me knows I'm there. Well, forget me. Just as long as they know my 20,000 lb. truck is there. If, heaven forbid, something happened, how would you want that day remembered? 1) As the day you hit your horn and saved someone, or 2) As the day you failed to perform the most basic of safety procedures and ran over a kid who didn't see you?

If you've got an issue with using your horn, you may want to rethink your priorities.

over9five

Staff member
What happened to the OP that inspired him to start this thread? Did you get caught by a supe in a stupid situation where you should have tooted the horn once or twice? Yes, it is really, really laborious and difficult to push that little sucker. I don't know how UPS expects anyone to be able to do it. I'm still recovering from last week.
Repetitive Motion Injury?