If this company was employee owned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pretzel_man

Unfortunately, the reality of ECON seems to be a bit different than whatever policies and procedures may exist on a website or in the back pages of some policy handbook.

The reality...on a day-to-day operational level....seems to be that the working definiton of ECON is "if it will make a supervisor look bad on a report, its an emergency."

If this was just another typical attempt on the part of management to manipulate some irrelevant metric it really wouldnt matter. But when we ECON a package it means that (a) the customer didnt get the service they paid for and (b) they cannot get a refund for the missed package.

Where I come from, that would be called "fraud".

Just to get this straight.... The first complaint was that there is no written policy. There is....

Now the complaint is that its not followed 100%. That's legitimate and the practice is wrong.

I have no idea how often this happens, but I do know people monitor it. The assertion here is that it is happening daily and everywhere. You could not know that. Even if its used less often than you think, its still wrong.... I am not disagreeing with that, but fraud???

If its improperly used, I hope they are dealt with.

I hope a person complains that a refund was denied due to ECON. That will get attention.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Just to get this straight.... The first complaint was that there is no written policy. There is....

Now the complaint is that its not followed 100%. That's legitimate and its wrong.

I have no idea how often this happens, but I do know people monitor it. If its improperly used, I hope they are dealt with.

I hope a person complains that a refund was denied due to ECON. That will get attention.

I think we can all agree that P-man would never condone this in any fashion or form.

pretzel_man

I wish it were but, unfortunately, there are some center manager's who do indeed use EC as a dispatch tool.

And in addition to Upstate's comment, I enjoyed the suggestion that my supervisor can look it up for me. And for sure, he will give me the contact information listed. Neither of which will ever happen, as I am retired. If a request would come in to my ex supervisors, they would immediately know that a customer complaint would follow. So why would they load the gun, lift it to their head, and offer to pull the trigger?

best

d

Danny is retired.... Others here can ask their supervisor to find the procedures and print them out.

It will get more done than complaining on a bulletin board...

If anyone really cares, then IM me and I will give the corporate contact for reporting delivery exceptions.

Its easy to make accusations.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But dozens of drivers complaining about it on a public board that is closely monitored by the company does not get their attention? So it will be addressed only when it becomes an emergency condition at the company level, and we have to fork out money?

Maybe the best way to get it changed would be to report it to the proper licensing authority.

d

pretzel_man

I wish it were but, unfortunately, there are some center manager's who do indeed use EC as a dispatch tool.

But dozens of drivers complaining about it on a public board that is closely monitored by the company does not get their attention? So it will be addressed only when it becomes an emergency condition at the company level, and we have to fork out money?

Maybe the best way to get it changed would be to report it to the proper licensing authority.

d

The people that think this board is closely monitored..... I have said not....

I asked Debbie Curtis-Magley about this. She said no.

Maybe it is, but I have not seen it.... I guess Cheryl may know better...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have always been a fan of simple solutions.

Here's one; simply expand the "remarks" column to allow more characters, and require that any package sheeted as ECON also include a brief description of the emergency. Or there could be a "menu" of relatively common scenarios (snow, police activity, flooded driveway etc.) that would give the driver the option of simply entering a code. Having to be specific about the emergency might serve as a deterrent to abuse of ECON to avoid showing packages as missed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The people that think this board is closely monitored..... I have said not....

I asked Debbie Curtis-Magley about this. She said no.

Maybe it is, but I have not seen it.... I guess Cheryl may know better...

I have asked around and no one is assigned the responsibility to monitor Brown Cafe.
Individuals may do it but it is own their own time ... Pretz and me being ones I guess.

Re-Raise

You do what the boss says. I know, a lot of young guys don't know what that is but I do.

What if they tell you to go home and they will pay you jury duty pay?

I have had bosses ask me to do things I wasn't comfortable doing and I have said no.

I have also had more managers and supervisors than I can remember their names come and go over my 25 years.

upsgrunt

I have asked around and no one is assigned the responsibility to monitor Brown Cafe.
Individuals may do it but it is own their own time ... Pretz and me being ones I guess.

So by your own admittance, you are aware of the problem and will do nothing to make sure that it gets reported to the proper chain of command?
Remember the rural remote initiative? That got abused as well and I could see Econ going the same route. There is waaaaaay to much gray there to work with.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So by your own admittance, you are aware of the problem and will do nothing to make sure that it gets reported to the proper chain of command?
Remember the rural remote initiative? That got abused as well and I could see Econ going the same route. There is waaaaaay to much gray there to work with.

Aware of what problem ... that no one from Corporate is monitoring BC?

DS

Fenderbender
Cheryl has gotten a few phone calls from ups when they felt a line was crossed.
So yes someone does monitor it and it's not hoax or pretz.

upsgrunt

Danny is retired.... Others here can ask their supervisor to find the procedures and print them out.

It will get more done than complaining on a bulletin board...

If anyone really cares, then IM me and I will give the corporate contact for reporting delivery exceptions.

Its easy to make accusations.

Pman- I respect the heck out of you, Hoax as well, but this is where things are frustrating. You have many employees posting here that there is a problem with Econ being abused and your response is "its easy to make accusations". These are not accusations and nobody is making this stuff up. There is a problem and it needs to be looked into. What better point of view of the war can you get than from the soldiers that are fighting the battle?

For the record, I refuse to use Econ unless it is 150% warranted. I have been begged to use it more, but consignees pay good money for our time in transit, and it is good, to get their merchandise and I owe it to them to service them. Now, that may mean bagging it and tying it to their mailbox or leaving it at their second cousin's aunt who lives in town, but I take pride in getting EVERYTHING delivered on the scheduled date. Call me old school or stubborn; it's just the way I am.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

The abuse of the Econ recording methods.

I am not aware of the ECON issue. All I know is what is posted on here and I pretty much don't believe much of anything on here. I'm sure some of the stuff on here has some truth to it but for the most part most of these accusations posted on here are bull:censored2:.
Besides, I'm "not on the clock". Anything someone posts on here will not be relayed by me to UPS. That's not why I post and read on here.
Later.

upsgrunt

I am not aware of the ECON issue. All I know is what is posted on here and I pretty much don't believe much of anything on here. I'm sure some of the stuff on here has some truth to it but for the most part most of these accusations posted on here are bull:censored2:.
Besides, I'm "not on the clock". Anything someone posts on here will not be relayed by me to UPS. That's not why I post and read on here.
Later.

Wow

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That is why any Attorney General of any state would be interested. Fraud is fraud. It is illegal. It should not be condoned in any fashion. A driver EC'ing a package could potentially be part of the fraud.

How many of thousands of promotions or demotions would occur when those center manager are "allowed honarable seperation" from the company ;D I have known at least three, have abused it at least one. In some cases many times.

Re-Raise

Later.

Wow. You do know that there is an option called "emergency conditions" for recording the non delivery of a package by the driver on a UPS delivery route?

Feel free to stop me when you feel the lies begin....

Managers are instructing drivers to use this option for reasons that many drivers feel aren't emergency conditions and are short changing our customers.

All of this is true in my reality of UPS.