If u bid a route...take it!!!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I just don't see what the problem is here. Are you people trying to say you have to commit to working a set amount of days in order to qualify bidding on routes? Are you saying that if you have a route, you need to work a certain amount of days to keep that route? Are you saying that drivers shouldn't be able to take days off? Or a limited number of days off? And in this way of thinking, can only cover drivers take days off? Maybe that driver going home a lot doesn't like being a cover driver. And obviously, he/she has the seniority to bid on that route.

Look, I hate taking days off. I don't understand those people who go home all of the time, or go home when their routes are packed, or on 8 HR days. It just lets crappy management off the hook. Besides, I'm here to make money, not be comfortable. It is called work. But we should probably be careful about putting limits and rules on our hard-earned jobs and bidding rights. So what if some person gets a good route and goes home all of the time? That just leaves a good route open for a cover driver to do. Hopefully, those cover drivers won't burn up that route, but judging from so many of the drivers on this forum, it doesn't seem likely.

The bottom line is this: if you are mad that some other driver (with more seniority) takes days off, or is slower than you, too bad. That's just jealousy. We all want the better route, with more/less work, better areas and better looking customers. But there is only one way to get those: by putting in your time.

Dracula

No, he's saying if you bid a route, you need to run it instead of say running some split route or going home for the day while a cover driver runs the bid. Basicly sucking up a permanent route that someone who wants to work everyday on the same route could run.

Some people here don't always make their posts real clear, so if this is the situation the OP is referring to, then that driver should either go home or run his own route. He shouldn't be able to bump any driver off his or her work (even if they are unassigned cover) if he has a regular bid route. That is something you could probably file on. If he has a job, he can't just, willy-nilly, go bumping people out of their work. That's not right by the contract. Go home if you want to go home, but half day work shouldn't be available to this driver unless everyone else has a choice of their own work.

purplesky

The thing that really sucks about drivers going home all the time is that the drivers that do work everyday get screwed with the extra stops and overtime.

Also drivers that go home all the time will lose those 401k contributions they could have been making. THATS ALOT OF MONEY NOT EARNED THAT YOU COULD HAVE SAVED FOR LATER WHEN YOU TAKE EVERYDAY OFF.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) The thing that really sucks about drivers going home all the time is that the drivers that do work everyday get screwed with the extra stops and overtime.

2) Also drivers that go home all the time will lose those 401k contributions they could have been making. THATS ALOT OF MONEY NOT EARNED THAT YOU COULD HAVE SAVED FOR LATER WHEN YOU TAKE EVERYDAY OFF.
I understand your point but ...

1) Or more likely the least senior driver(s) would be laid off.

2) A driver working 4 days at 8 hrs per day would be able to max out 401k at $17,000 per year.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The thing that really sucks about drivers going home all the time is that the drivers that do work everyday get screwed with the extra stops and overtime.

Also drivers that go home all the time will lose those 401k contributions they could have been making. THATS ALOT OF MONEY NOT EARNED THAT YOU COULD HAVE SAVED FOR LATER WHEN YOU TAKE EVERYDAY OFF.

I absolutely agree in regards to the 401k, but as Hoax alluded, the company is only going to run X number of cars on any given day.
Don't buy into the illusion that if everybody insisted on working on a particular day that the company would work more drivers.
The least senior would most certainly be laid off.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

I work more now so I work even less later.

OptimusPrime

Guess I am not seeing the problem. You get to work, and they get to go home. Worked out well for me the last few months before peak. I got to run the same stuff four days a week.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Are you pacing yourself?
Yep, I take the hours when they are available and work all OT/double time days. This makes my hourly rate actually go up and the amount of hours needed to obtain the funds to retire lower. I still purchase items as if I was a cover driver making 50k, while topping 101k this year. I don't want to be like some of these 30yr+ service guys that have to be here, I want to have the option to leave when I want to when I hit that milestone.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yep, I take the hours when they are available and work all OT/double time days. This makes my hourly rate actually go up and the amount of hours needed to obtain the funds to retire lower. I still purchase items as if I was a cover driver making 50k, while topping 101k this year.

While there is no company match, the 401k is still our best supplemental retirement vehicle, barring insider trading.
Max it out people and live with the leftovers.

Dracula

True. The least senior drivers would get laid off. UPS has a # plan everyday, regardless of what kind of sense it might make.

But my other point is about eight hour days. I'm sure you've seen this in your center. They don't pull down the routes scheduled for 8's, and instead of pulling down those routes, they offer these drivers the day off. And it's like a ball rolling down the hill, unless you slow it early, it's real tough to stop. And if you stand up and say, "Hey, I gotta work today, you need to pull me down for my 8." Then they fight you. The point is, most drivers just go home. Then soon, it's almost a de facto policy. And we made it, by laying down.

Even though I'm in feeders now, where there are no 8HR days, the non-existence of 8HR days in PC still drives me nuts.

And this is just one example of what UPS does to us. And again, we let it happen.

So one guy--probably with more seniority than 90% of the drivers--takes a lot of days off, or needs work taken off his dispatch because he/she doesn't do as much work as the burner crowd. The newer drivers bitch and moan about this driver, probably on this forum. And they do it without ever picturing the day when that will be them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If I get to the point where I can live on 2-3 days salary comfortably and can retire, I won't be working here any longer. Otherwise I'll continue to work every day I can so I can have that option.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think the OP is saying folk who bid a route and then come in and say "nah, I'd rather do that route today" rather than their own is frustrating. I can see the WTF...but it's not something to cry about IMO.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
True. The least senior drivers would get laid off. UPS has a # plan everyday, regardless of what kind of sense it might make.

But my other point is about eight hour days. I'm sure you've seen this in your center. They don't pull down the routes scheduled for 8's, and instead of pulling down those routes, they offer these drivers the day off. And it's like a ball rolling down the hill, unless you slow it early, it's real tough to stop. And if you stand up and say, "Hey, I gotta work today, you need to pull me down for my 8." Then they fight you. The point is, most drivers just go home. Then soon, it's almost a de facto policy. And we made it, by laying down.

Even though I'm in feeders now, where there are no 8HR days, the non-existence of 8HR days in PC still drives me nuts.

And this is just one example of what UPS does to us. And again, we let it happen.

So one guy--probably with more seniority than 90% of the drivers--takes a lot of days off, or needs work taken off his dispatch because he/she doesn't do as much work as the burner crowd. The newer drivers bitch and moan about this driver, probably on this forum. And they do it without ever picturing the day when that will be them.

This is the truth.
Where I am, 10% can be on an 8hr request any given day.
If it was properly orchestrated, this could effectuate an extra route or two.