if u want to quit the ups?

Tony31yrs

Believe me, I had to deal with them suspending, firing, or crosstraining my preloader and getting some rookie at the last minute. So it would bother me less having to deal with a rookie loader and laughing about what my loader did to get them back. I might be aggravated, but it's part of the job. You just have to go with the flow.
Besides, I have seen them fire or suspend a guy when it suits them. If they had the extra people, the suspension was immediate. If they didn't, "well, we'll suspend you next week."

kenmei

Yeah, that payback would feel pretty good, I can't deny it.

I worked for UPS here in Denver for about 10 months after about 15 months in Illinois a couple years ago. When I quit in Denver, I worked my entire two week notice--no lates or no-shows--and utmost professionalism. My last day, I reported as normal and right as the belts started my part-time supe came up and said, "Hey, you wanna unload today?" I connected the dots after I'd started unloading (possible missorts galore). I told him, "You make a radio call to get Bozo the Dumba%# off my back for the day and I'll do it. I mean it....not a peep from him." The supe nodded, reached for his radio, called the full-timer over and told me, "I'll make it happen. He won't be on my sort-aisle today." I won't soon forget how restful that night's sleep was....:happy-very: -Rocky
do i have to write them a letter. and who should i write it to.

tieguy

Banned
Believe me, I had to deal with them suspending, firing, or crosstraining my preloader and getting some rookie at the last minute. So it would bother me less having to deal with a rookie loader and laughing about what my loader did to get them back. I might be aggravated, but it's part of the job. You just have to go with the flow.
Besides, I have seen them fire or suspend a guy when it suits them. If they had the extra people, the suspension was immediate. If they didn't, "well, we'll suspend you next week."

I think your advice was a little short sighted here. While you may find it enjoyable if kenmei sticks it to the man by leaving without notice its only going to hurt kenmei somewhere down the road when he needs ups for a job reference.

Tony31yrs

Good point unless he was only there a short time and doesn't intend to use them as a reference. On the other hand it might help if the interviewer for his next job also worked at UPS.

tieguy

Banned
Good point unless he was only there a short time and doesn't intend to use them as a reference. On the other hand it might help if the interviewer for his next job also worked at UPS.

wouldn't matter. Future employers take a dim view of potential employees who quit easily without notice.

How would a prospective employer know? From what I know, UPS only verifies dates worked and rehire status (which is almost always no regardless).

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
do u need "2 week notice"and write him a resignaation letter or just tell your full time and say"yo i will quit this damn job" lol
2 weeks notice would be the way to go on this 1 screwing a Fortune 500 business usually has consequences down the road remember most of the jobs you will look for in the future are current or potential UPS customers (so there is already a relationship established that you don't have), do you think they will give you a positive endorsement if you just walk out on the company? I doubt it. So unless you plan on starting your own business play the game right and hey you never know you may need big brown in the future and you may not want to be on the "do not rehire" list when you come back.:whiteflag:

Tony31yrs

I don't even know if UPS would tell the new employer. I know that they let some part timers go while I was there and they said that they don't give a bad reccomendation because they are afraid of getting sued for defamation. I was shocked because one was for no call, no show and another was for stealing. More BS in our politically correct world.

I don't even know if UPS would tell the new employer. I know that they let some part timers go while I was there and they said that they don't give a bad reccomendation because they are afraid of getting sued for defamation. I was shocked because one was for no call, no show and another was for stealing. More BS in our politically correct world.

Exactly my point. As I said before, I think that all UPS will do is verify dates of employment. There are potential slander, libel and defamation issues if a previous employer gives opinions (especially negative ones), so they usually refrain from doing it. Maybe someone from management or HR can chime in here and enlighten us on the official UPS policy?

moodaddy247

I can't drive 55
do u need "2 week notice"and write him a resignaation letter or just tell your full time and say"yo i will quit this damn job" lol

Please tell me that you have better health insurance and compensation in your near future.... If the answer is no; You need to learn how to
**** !!! Dude. Im not here b/c I like how I'm treated, I got hired off the street to be highest pd driver in the land.
If thats not your goals; then thats ok, too. Just be prepared to be disappointed... It might get easier some place else; just not in the wallet where it matters most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me that the " Privacy Act of 1974" may prevent the disclosure of any information of a past employee, that the employee themselves haven't already divulged to a perspective employer .

I have been told by HR that in our district there is no such thing as "OK to rehire".

Tony31yrs

Yeah, but some guys just aren't wired to put up with UPS without having a nervous breakdown. I've talked to guys that worked here for a while and were getting sick over it. They had to get out and get into some other kind of work and were glad. The money and benefits aren't worth it if affects your health.If you can get through it and have halfway decent managers-it's a great job.
When people would say,"Boy I wish I had your job, you have it made", I would tell them,"yeah, the pay is good, great benefits and pension, but guys still quit-you figure it out. If it wasn't for all of these, you would have a different driver with a green card every day."

tieguy

Banned
How would a prospective employer know? From what I know, UPS only verifies dates worked and rehire status (which is almost always no regardless).

Many potential employers have found ways around that process. They have you sign an authorization form allowing them to ask you specific detailed questions. Federal government may send interviewers or even the FBI around to interview former employers and neighbors.

When I hired and did phone interviews I could find out a lot just by the tone of the person I called. If they sounded disinterested or hemmed and hawwed when I asked the questions then I was suspicious. Phone references tended to offer positive feedback without being asked if the former employee left on good terms.

If the former employer did not offer postive feeback or the employee did not offer letters of recommendation then I tended to move them down the list.

brownrodster

I'm sorry. You cannot quit UPS. You are stuck here forever.

You could just come to work and punch in then leave. Then come back and punch out later.

See how long that lasts.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I've been thinking about my final weeks of work lately. LORD willing, I have about 4 years left. In those last weeks will I:

A) Call in sick at the last moment quite frequently
B) No call, no show a couple days
C) Tell the company my retirement date is July 10th, but change my mind on the 2nd and tell 'em my last day WAS the 1st.
D) All the above
E) Stay cool, go out with dignity

It all depends on how I'm treated between now & then, but if the DM doesn't liten up my choice will be 'D'.

C won't work as you have to have your papers in 90 days in advance, AND your center manager has to fill out some of the paperwork, and btw, stay there in the office with him/her while they do it, take it all and mail it yourself, or you might be waiting months for your first pension check.

Phil800101

Exactly my point. As I said before, I think that all UPS will do is verify dates of employment. There are potential slander, libel and defamation issues if a previous employer gives opinions (especially negative ones), so they usually refrain from doing it. Maybe someone from management or HR can chime in here and enlighten us on the official UPS policy?

I know for a fact that it is illegal for a previous employer to give a bad recommendation. Positive is of course ok, and they can refuse to comment or not give one, but they cannot say anything bad about you. I took several classes on industrial and/or organizational psychology when I was in college, and we went over this very point when we were covering human resources and the hiring process. This was in at least two of those classes. I'm not sure of the exact law or act, but yeah, it's on the books.

Besides, if you leave a job on bad terms, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to list them as a reference anyway. Normally you can decline to have a potential employer contact a previous employer, while still listing the job as experience. All it takes on your part is a little explaining to the interviewer as to why you said no.

I thought I would NEVER come back to UPS after I worked there during college. Regardless, I gave them notice well ahead of time that I was leaving, and worked my ass off up until and including my last day on the job. Low and behold, 18 months later I found myself looking for a steady job with benefits, and I was back interviewing at UPS, this time in my hometown. Suprisingly, I had an "ok to rehire" status, which the HR person told me was a rarity. In any case, I think you should always act professionally and not burn bridges when you decide to change employment. You never know when you may want that positive recommendation...or your old job back.