If UPS Botches This One Night, Christmas Is Ruined

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
If UPS Botches This One Night, Christmas Is Ruined - Bloomberg

Within UPS, Scott Abell is known as Mr. Peak. He spends the entire year obsessing about Peak Season, the busiest time at the world's largest shipping company. This Peak Season, UPS will deliver an estimated 300 packages per second. So how does it all work? Bloomberg Businessweek takes a look at how the company prepares for the holiday season

The Milkman

Are you kidding?
They're probably already congratulating themselves in Atlanta and he'll get a big round of applause at the conference table.

Gentlemen I believe we should fatten our Bonus this year for such a well thought out plan..We are all Geniuses and our track record shows it..........In fact we should also pump up our salaries while we are at it..Lets take a vote to make it look legal............

oldngray

nowhere special
Gentlemen I believe we should fatten our Bonus this year for such a well thought out plan..We are all Geniuses and our track record shows it..........In fact we should also pump up our salaries while we are at it..Lets take a vote to make it look legal............

Of course its a good plan! Making it through peak with minimal staffing is a winner!. Servicing customers is merely a secondary issue and relatively unimportant. All that really matters is keeping numbers looking good for the stock market.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Of course its a good plan! Making it through peak with minimal staffing is a winner!. Servicing customers is merely a secondary issue and relatively unimportant. All that really matters is keeping numbers looking good for the stock market.
Just goes to show you can teach an old, gray dog new tricks!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I wonder if it's possible to teach management new tricks. "Like service the customer". FAIL
I wonder if it's possible to teach SHIPPERS new tricks. "Like service their customers". FAIL

Fixed it for you.
Until big shippers start to care about their customers getting their packages timely, the small package delivery industry is stuck in the current cost-containment.

Perhaps UPS should ensure all customers' packages are processed before touching any Amazon packages.

bluehdmc

I was still getting emails "guaranteeing" delivery for Christmas on Monday. Then when you don't get the package it's UPS's fault?

Instead of developing drones maybe UPS should develop a transporter like Star Trek, then they could just "beam" the packages to the customers.
No failures, unless the atoms get scattered all over the Galaxy

Feeders101

As does me of the ignorance of people that have no business sense.
I'm use to it though.

Doesn't take much business sense to understand the only thing we have to sell is "Service". And we didn't get it done! If we needed to turn away packages, we should have done so. Fed Ex turned away packages. UPS in their greed, took it all. Will we make money from that? Yes, but at what cost? Damage our reputation, our brand; for what? A few extra dollars? I doubt any refunds will be issued to our customers, so It's a windfall for Corporate. How many customers will we lose over this? No business sense here, move right along....

bluehdmc

Doesn't take much business sense to understand the only thing we have to sell is "Service". And we didn't get it done! If we needed to turn away packages, we should have done so. Fed Ex turned away packages. UPS in their greed, took it all. Will we make money from that? Yes, but at what cost? Damage our reputation, our brand; for what? A few extra dollars? I doubt any refunds will be issued to our customers, so It's a windfall for Corporate. How many customers will we lose over this? No business sense here, move right along....

Were those packages we took the one's FedEx turned away?
Maybe we took them from shippers with the caveat that we may not be able to deliver them before Christmas. Do you think Amazon really cares?
They got paid by the customer, how many are they gonna lose?
After all Amazon, etc. were the ones sending out the emails "Get it by Christmas" and they are the ones that are really our customers.

Feeders101

Were those packages we took the one's FedEx turned away?
Maybe we took them from shippers with the caveat that we may not be able to deliver them before Christmas. Do you think Amazon really cares?
They got paid by the customer, how many are they gonna lose?
After all Amazon, etc. were the ones sending out the emails "Get it by Christmas" and they are the ones that are really our customers.

Amazon did their part, they shipped it. We didn't do our part, we didn't deliver it. Who do you think the customer is going to blame. December comes every year. It seems we have this problem every year. This year was the worst. Management has 11 months now to prepare for next Christmas. Will they get it right this time? Doubt it. Our customers who pay the bills will get screwed again...sigh.....

The Milkman

Amazon did their part, they shipped it. We didn't do our part, we didn't deliver it. Who do you think the customer is going to blame. December comes every year. It seems we have this problem every year. This year was the worst. Management has 11 months now to prepare for next Christmas. Will they get it right this time? Doubt it. Our customers who pay the bills will get screwed again...sigh.....

Sadly this story will play out again next year unless the Board starts to think about the S in UPS, it's not the stockholders who built this once strong company. Before going public, Service was at the forefront thoughts of the managers who owned the company, and a Board made up of many who climbed up the ladder to get there. Not some appointed executive for example who sat on a food company Board of Directors, and has no clue about running a shipping company. Yeah that'll work, let's give him a large multi million dollar benefit pkg and hope he can fix what we messed up yrs ago...