If we REALLY mattered that much as drivers...

CleverNameHere

I'm just curious as to some thoughts others have. We are held to such a (IMO) ludicrously high standard by the company, and are reminded of it time and time again.. But it's too much to deal with sometimes, no matter what we get paid an hour. As a friend of mine said the other day "Dude I wouldn't deal with that much sh%t for $100 an hour." I hate to agree, but I do. At the VERY LEAST, hold the preload to a high standard as well. They very obviously do not. Here's some ideas of mine, to start:

-We have misloads pretty regularly, at least where I'm at. Well, it happens, people screw up. Yet I have hardly ever been told to just bring it back, always sent to go deliver it. WHY

-What the :censored2: is up with the facial hair policy. Some of us look much better clean shaven, some of us look better with a little fu-manchu or something going on. I don't think we should be out there rocking Duck Dynasty beards, we can agree on that. But we are working an essentially blue collar job, not in an office somewhere. I've even noticed people serving and cooking at restaurants rocking more facial hair than we are allowed, and if anything that rule would make more sense in that profession. WHY

-We allow ridiculously large pkgs in the system that we, in turn, are expected to deliver single handedly for the most part. 150 lb table up to a 3rd floor apartment via stairs? Sure, you can hack it. WHY

-There should be a limit on bulk stops. They sure as hell don't take stops off you if you happen to have two or more stops with 20-40 pieces. Not all large stops go to docks, where workers may come help you out. I've seen some absurd things, like 70 boxes of clothing going between two different doors, that you do not back up to a dock or get help with, yet you barely get any extra time. WHY. Make it easy, limit ALL stops to no more than 20 pieces unless they are smalls/envelopes. This would also create more steady work.

Didn't want to turn it into a whole angry rant but things as they are now compared to as I hear they used to be are beyond stupid. If it was legal and turned a profit I have no doubt UPS would allow customers to drag us into their homes and bend us over as well. This would still be a hard job even if my above suggestions went into effect. Just seems the company, in their usual vindictive style, justifies all this by the pay rate of our top scale guys. Well guess what, we all aren't there, and even when we are it's STILL not enough to justify some of what we go through. Rant over. I'd still like to hear some other thoughts.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Did you not know any of these things before you became a driver? It's the job. It has always been a demanding job but we a very well compensated for it.

Seriously if this stuff bothers you, you made a poor career choice.

You don't hear the 20-35 year guys complaining about this because they know it's part of the game and how to play it.

Let me guess, early 20s?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
everyone has a story like yours. do the best you can, use the methods, and don't kill yourself doing this job.

and laugh all the way to the bank.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
in all fairness we went on strike when ups bumped up the max weight from 70 to 150, also we used to have a oversize limit, and a chain to prove it, we did not have the rampant misloads and ridiculous stop counts and micromanagement, and peak did not start in mid october BACK WHEN I SIGNED UP FOR THE JOB

rod

Retired 22 years
Just keep telling yourself "I'm paid by the hour- I'm paid by the hour". Work safe at a steady pace. The "facial hair" thing has been discussed forever----I don't picture UPS ever giving into letting the drivers grow beards. They have a public image thing to uphold---look at their squeaky clean trucks------------------never mind.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
If you let UPS bother you, it will. Learn to ignore the ignorance. Look at how many good ideas the company started using only to screw up completely. Preload for instance....a good idea until they start putting 5 or 6 trucks per loader. Then they don't do the math on the misloads or sorry loads for that matter. I am here to make money and do my job right. I cant management to do the same because they don't work for me. Learn what you can control and not control. Don't worry about the latter.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I tried making helpful suggestions . all i got for my trouble was " you do your job and let us do our job."

9 times out of 10 i made more money doing it their way.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm just curious as to some thoughts others have. We are held to such a (IMO) ludicrously high standard by the company, and are reminded of it time and time again.. But it's too much to deal with sometimes, no matter what we get paid an hour. As a friend of mine said the other day "Dude I wouldn't deal with that much sh%t for $100 an hour." I hate to agree, but I do. At the VERY LEAST, hold the preload to a high standard as well. They very obviously do not. Here's some ideas of mine, to start:

-We have misloads pretty regularly, at least where I'm at. Well, it happens, people screw up. Yet I have hardly ever been told to just bring it back, always sent to go deliver it. WHY

-What the :censored2: is up with the facial hair policy. Some of us look much better clean shaven, some of us look better with a little fu-manchu or something going on. I don't think we should be out there rocking Duck Dynasty beards, we can agree on that. But we are working an essentially blue collar job, not in an office somewhere. I've even noticed people serving and cooking at restaurants rocking more facial hair than we are allowed, and if anything that rule would make more sense in that profession. WHY

-We allow ridiculously large pkgs in the system that we, in turn, are expected to deliver single handedly for the most part. 150 lb table up to a 3rd floor apartment via stairs? Sure, you can hack it. WHY

-There should be a limit on bulk stops. They sure as hell don't take stops off you if you happen to have two or more stops with 20-40 pieces. Not all large stops go to docks, where workers may come help you out. I've seen some absurd things, like 70 boxes of clothing going between two different doors, that you do not back up to a dock or get help with, yet you barely get any extra time. WHY. Make it easy, limit ALL stops to no more than 20 pieces unless they are smalls/envelopes. This would also create more steady work.

Didn't want to turn it into a whole angry rant but things as they are now compared to as I hear they used to be are beyond stupid. If it was legal and turned a profit I have no doubt UPS would allow customers to drag us into their homes and bend us over as well. This would still be a hard job even if my above suggestions went into effect. Just seems the company, in their usual vindictive style, justifies all this by the pay rate of our top scale guys. Well guess what, we all aren't there, and even when we are it's STILL not enough to justify some of what we go through. Rant over. I'd still like to hear some other thoughts.

They're so cute when they're young

Catatonic

Nine Lives
in all fairness we went on strike when ups bumped up the max weight from 70 to 150, also we used to have a oversize limit, and a chain to prove it, we did not have the rampant misloads and ridiculous stop counts and micromanagement, and peak did not start in mid october BACK WHEN I SIGNED UP FOR THE JOB
When you signed the contract, were these things specified to not occur to you.
Like many other said, it's the nature of the job.
If anyone gets tired of being paid $34 an hour ... there are other jobs with less responsibility at $20/hour.

T

Turdferguson

When you signed the contract, were these things specified to not occur to you.
Like many other said, it's the nature of the job.
If anyone gets tired of being paid $34 an hour ... there are other jobs with less responsibility at $20/hour.

Do we sign a contract? Also if complaining about being micromanaged wouldn't he want more responsibility not less?

Cementups

Box Monkey
love-my-job.jpg

Cementups

Box Monkey
But I really do.

I've said it before and I'll say it till the day I retire.......I'm one of those guys that actually likes what he does here. I'm very fortunate to be in the position I'm in and the money I make and other compensations. No matter what rules there are like shaving to abide by. All jobs have their own sets of rules. If you don't like them then this isn't the place for you.