If we REALLY mattered that much as drivers...

Cementups

Box Monkey
Meet me here, and I'll drive the rest of the way.

cbf5df770d03d1a2ef1b3294c11c79e4.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
cbf5df770d03d1a2ef1b3294c11c79e4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm heading up to the hunting camp in about an hour----that always makes for a sweet road trip.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
Seriously if this stuff bothers you, you made a poor career choice.
Maybe he didn't choose a career but instead chose just a job.

I'm just curious as to some thoughts others have. We are held to such a (IMO) ludicrously high standard by the company, and are reminded of it time and time again.. But it's too much to deal with sometimes, no matter what we get paid an hour. As a friend of mine said the other day "Dude I wouldn't deal with that much sh%t for $100 an hour." I hate to agree, but I do. At the VERY LEAST, hold the preload to a high standard as well. They very obviously do not. Here's some ideas of mine, to start:

-We have misloads pretty regularly, at least where I'm at. Well, it happens, people screw up. Yet I have hardly ever been told to just bring it back, always sent to go deliver it. WHY

-What the :censored2: is up with the facial hair policy. Some of us look much better clean shaven, some of us look better with a little fu-manchu or something going on. I don't think we should be out there rocking Duck Dynasty beards, we can agree on that. But we are working an essentially blue collar job, not in an office somewhere. I've even noticed people serving and cooking at restaurants rocking more facial hair than we are allowed, and if anything that rule would make more sense in that profession. WHY

-We allow ridiculously large pkgs in the system that we, in turn, are expected to deliver single handedly for the most part. 150 lb table up to a 3rd floor apartment via stairs? Sure, you can hack it. WHY

-There should be a limit on bulk stops. They sure as hell don't take stops off you if you happen to have two or more stops with 20-40 pieces. Not all large stops go to docks, where workers may come help you out. I've seen some absurd things, like 70 boxes of clothing going between two different doors, that you do not back up to a dock or get help with, yet you barely get any extra time. WHY. Make it easy, limit ALL stops to no more than 20 pieces unless they are smalls/envelopes. This would also create more steady work.

Didn't want to turn it into a whole angry rant but things as they are now compared to as I hear they used to be are beyond stupid. If it was legal and turned a profit I have no doubt UPS would allow customers to drag us into their homes and bend us over as well. This would still be a hard job even if my above suggestions went into effect. Just seems the company, in their usual vindictive style, justifies all this by the pay rate of our top scale guys. Well guess what, we all aren't there, and even when we are it's STILL not enough to justify some of what we go through. Rant over. I'd still like to hear some other thoughts.
I'm just going to leave this here. As @Cementups said - "But I really do." so do I. I am more than grateful to have this career. I say career because I want this to be my career. Coming from a family owned company that folded after 35 years due to things like technology - growing up with a silver spoon in my mouth I have no problem with doing the task at hand and then some if my Brothers need me. I said Brothers. The two guys in the package cars on either side of me doing the streets next to me. If they have a bulk stop and have another 60 stops left or even 10 stops, I'll ask them if they want me to help.

@CleverNameHere :

You ask - "Why always sent to deliver it?" - Well the answer is simple in two forms.
1) It's your job and that's that. We are Service Providers and our job is to deliver service and that service just so happens to be packages to the customer.
2) Think about the guy that wants it or better yet, think about the last time you ordered something you really wanted or even needed and didn't get it on the day you looked at the tracking number online that read "out for delivery". Driver FollowUp FndPackage didn't help you that day did it?
3) I've learned in my time here that if you treat your pre-loaders with respect they will return the favor. They have us by the balls. They know if they put a misload on to our cars it's going to disrupt our day. I'm not saying kiss their asses but a $5 "thank you" helps a long way! Simply saying "no" to "was the load acceptable" doesn't do it. That will just generate a report and the pre-loader will get disciplined and hold a grudge. Get personable with your pre-loaders and "pal around".

You ask about the facial hair:
It's a hygiene thing. When I was in my class it was included as part of the "service" we provide. You wouldn't your serviceman coming to your door looking and smelling like he/she just crawled out of the bottom of a bottle or a ditch would you? Clean shaven and fresh smelling. It's comforting when you are signing that board. I do agree tho in some ways. I know myself I look better with a little bit of facial hair, it's still the "look of cleanliness" that UPS wants to present to our customers.

You ask about the ridiculously large packages:
I couldn't agree more. I know that FedEx has a 70lb limit. When I approach a stop I often think about the package and the delivery point and then go ":censored2:! That's that big ass box RDL"... Nothing I can about it tho but get the cart and go to the back door. There should be a limit for 70lbs. I agree here. Maybe if we keep calling for another driver to come out and help deliver it that limit will be put in place.

You ask about bulk:
I agree here again. More than 20 packages should be freight, but we can still do it ourselves and to be honest we do get paid by the hour. When management asks what happened, we can simply say more than 20 and 30lbs a piece.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I couldn't agree more. I know that FedEx has a 70lb limit. When I approach a stop I often think about the package and the delivery point and then go ":censored2:! That's that big ass box RDL"... Nothing I can about it tho but get the cart and go to the back door. There should be a limit for 70lbs. I agree here. Maybe if we keep calling for another driver to come out and help deliver it that limit will be put in place.

You "know" wrong. Fedex has been taking 150 lb boxes at least 30 years, long before UPS started taking them.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Maybe he didn't choose a career but instead chose just a job.

You ask about bulk:
I agree here again. More than 20 packages should be freight, but we can still do it ourselves and to be honest we do get paid by the hour. When management asks what happened, we can simply say more than 20 and 30lbs a piece.

If you really can't handle bulk stops of over 20 packages or over 70lbs, then you shouldn't be driving. Follow the methods. Rinse repeat.

And if they started eliminating all the bulk stops over 20 packages and moved them to freight like you suggest, next comment would be why all the driver jobs are gone and I can't work over 8 hours anymore or some bs like that.

Here's how you handle stress and a messed up package car at ups, one package and one stop at a time.

Only you can control how bothered you get by the job or career as most of the long time FT drivers look at it as.

Foamer Pyle

Did you not know any of these things before you became a driver? It's the job. It has always been a demanding job but we a very well compensated for it.

Seriously if this stuff bothers you, you made a poor career choice.

You don't hear the 20-35 year guys complaining about this because they know it's part of the game and how to play it.

Let me guess, early 20s?
I am 52 and been here over 26 years, and I agree with him. As a matter a fact, plenty of guys at my building feel the same way, as we have discussed some of these topics. I tell my wife at least once a week, the crap we have to put up with isn't worth the pay. If i was a single guy, I would have left a long time ago.
Most of the people on here haven't been around long enough to know how things used to be, so they have nothing to compare to. I can remember plenty of managers that used to pick up BBQ and beer on Friday, and tell everyone thank you. No, we didn't drink the beer or eat the food on company property, but it sure made a difference in morale, with a simple thank you and a little reward. All this company does anymore is tell everyone in the A.M. Meeting what a bad job we are doing. Always focus on negativity, never a thank you, NEVER. Yup, I am bitter, and they can Suck it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am 52 and been here over 26 years, and I agree with him. As a matter a fact, plenty of guys at my building feel the same way, as we have discussed some of these topics. I tell my wife at least once a week, the crap we have to put up with isn't worth the pay. If i was a single guy, I would have left a long time ago.
Most of the people on here haven't been around long enough to know how things used to be, so they have nothing to compare to. I can remember plenty of managers that used to pick up BBQ and beer on Friday, and tell everyone thank you. No, we didn't drink the beer or eat the food on company property, but it sure made a difference in morale, with a simple thank you and a little reward. All this company does anymore is tell everyone in the A.M. Meeting what a bad job we are doing. Always focus on negativity, never a thank you, NEVER. Yup, I am bitter, and they can Suck it.
Sad, but true. I agree

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Yeah I've been here over 20 years too and I'm not bitter. Why? Because I'm responsible for how I let things affect me. If it's this bad for you then learn how to deal with it so it doesn't affect you in a negative way.

I remember the good days but they're probably not coming back. It's been like that since going public. Will it change? Maybe. Can you individually do anything about the BS and negativity? Probably not. But you can learn to not let it eat you up or they've won. They control your emotions and they're renting space in your head when you let that happen.

Maybe it's time to retire or if you can't, figure out a better way to handle it. Otherwise, you'll end up miserable to the point that it could wreck other parts of your life.

It's a game and after 26 years, you should know how to play it. Play it to survive.

CleverNameHere

Thanks to all who see my point. I can see too, anyone naysaying or telling "suck it up", well I know how I came off. No I'm not in my 20s, but been with UPS since just after hs. However I DO suck it up, and do a damn good job besides. Yes, as someone so helpfully pointed out the difference between job and career, this will most likely be my career. So I feel justified in a little venting. I have to do this another 20 years, sooooo.....
I know all the types basically calling me a p#ssy, you are the guys who don't mind your life revolving around work. If being out til 8pm all night appeals to you, have fun. I feel sorry for you on that inevitable day down the road when it hits you how much time you lost with loved ones and hobbies. Milking a clock is great for your wallet, that's about it.
I don't hate everything about this job. And I can do it just as well or better than those people who like to run their mouths. I admit my tangent went a little far. But I stand by these things: delivering misplace, gotta go, not our problem. Multiple heavy stops, they can control that, gotta go. I'm not even whining about half of what I could, there's lots to b.tch about that others will do constantly that doesn't get to me.
Thanks again to all supportive and constructive responses.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Thanks to all who see my point. I can see too, anyone naysaying or telling "suck it up", well I know how I came off. No I'm not in my 20s, but been with UPS since just after hs. However I DO suck it up, and do a damn good job besides. Yes, as someone so helpfully pointed out the difference between job and career, this will most likely be my career. So I feel justified in a little venting. I have to do this another 20 years, sooooo.....
I know all the types basically calling me a p#ssy, you are the guys who don't mind your life revolving around work. If being out til 8pm all night appeals to you, have fun. I feel sorry for you on that inevitable day down the road when it hits you how much time you lost with loved ones and hobbies. Milking a clock is great for your wallet, that's about it.
I don't hate everything about this job. And I can do it just as well or better than those people who like to run their mouths. I admit my tangent went a little far. But I stand by these things: delivering misplace, gotta go, not our problem. Multiple heavy stops, they can control that, gotta go. I'm not even whining about half of what I could, there's lots to b.tch about that others will do constantly that doesn't get to me.
Thanks again to all supportive and constructive responses.
If you're going to make this a "career", then you need to learn to play the game. We all have families and we all learn to balance that and ups when you've been here many years.

Delivering misloads sucks but it's the job. We provide service. It's part of being what we are. Getting rid of bulk stops? Sure. Then get ready for mass layoffs and people without jobs. Your car will be bricked out a lot. That's the nature. They aren't going to change it.

If you're truly good at what you do, then you already know how to handle all these issues and more as a driver. Follow the methods, be safe and take care of the customers. That in turn takes care of you and your family. Are their some people who "milk" the clock? Yep. That won't change. But most long time guys know how to do a fair days work for fair pay and still take care of our family.

Keep wishing for the volume to be downsized or "spread out" and then if that happens, some could be without a job or hours enough to work. Be careful what you wish for there.

Nobody wishes for their life to revolve around work. Maybe some do, but they don't have much of a quality of life anyway. Believe me, if you've been here long enough, you want to do your job safely and well and come home every night to your loved ones. But you have to remember what you are working for. It's a balance.