If you could change only one thing at UPS what would it be ?

JustTired

free at last.......
I would make IE subordinate to center-level management.

IE would have all its authority taken away, and act in an advisory capacity only. The final decision on how many cars to dispatch on a daily basis would be made by the center manager.

A center manager would have the authority to invalidate any timestudy that he deemed to be unfair, and would be able to order the IE to restudy the route. The IE would also be required to "run scratch" using safe methods on any route he studied.

How about doing a 3-day ride with the IE person doing all the work. You are just there for directions and area knowledge (and to make sure breaks are observed). Then take his 3 day average and this becomes your dispatch and sporh figure.

NHDRVR

A lot of good answers have been mentioned. Those with safety in mind are always good ones.

The one that would have the quickest and greatest result would be our start time. Plain and simple.

If I could get on road at 7 a.m. it would make things so much easier.

Alas, it will never happen.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Mine would be that the contract that was negotiated would be followed without trying to circumvent it every time the company wants to.

go back to a privately held company, so we can operate without the need to impress shareholders

Long before we went public I was held accountable for my sporh and I'm sure the sorters and loaders were accountable for their pph. So what real changes do you expect in areas like these?

The geniuses at corporate would have to go to the bar with us teamsters and and listen to our gripes and explain their stupid decisions. This way at least we could talk face to face and I wouldn't feel so icky after the screw me form 2 thousand miles away.

Oldschooler

I would make IE subordinate to center-level management.

IE would have all its authority taken away, and act in an advisory capacity only. The final decision on how many cars to dispatch on a daily basis would be made by the center manager.

A center manager would have the authority to invalidate any timestudy that he deemed to be unfair, and would be able to order the IE to restudy the route. The IE would also be required to "run scratch" using safe methods on any route he studied.

WHAT??!! You must be the center manager! The only fair way to dispatch, is to 'level' the dispatch. same cake routes get the same cake day and the smoked routes are smoked everyday even when they are right next to each other. Used to work for a supe that would move 10 stops involving 9 routes if that's what it took to level it. Now one harried person dispatches 100 drivers wrong because he can't (or won't) level the dispatch before start time.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Like sober, I would hold IE accountable for their decisions or calculations. Not long ago we had a time study, and everyone in our center gained time except for the loop Im in. Our loop lost about an hour per route on average and its pretty obvious what happened (obvious to everyone except the dm who cant seem to wrap her head around the concept).My on road just shrugs and says theres nothing he can do about it.Too bad I cant use that excuse. IE sucks

menotyou

bella amicizia
Like sober, I would hold IE accountable for their decisions or calculations. Not long ago we had a time study, and everyone in our center gained time except for the loop Im in. Our loop lost about an hour per route on average and its pretty obvious what happened (obvious to everyone except the dm who cant seem to wrap her head around the concept).My on road just shrugs and says theres nothing he can do about it.Too bad I cant use that excuse. IE sucks
Oh, but you can. You can work safely and according to methods. Their 'numbers' are just that- theirs. When they wonder why you are over, shrug and say there is nothing you can do about it. You are working safe.