If you could change only one thing at UPS what would it be ?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Put scented urine blocks in the runner gunner trash cans, keeps the piss bottle smells down.
There is a simple cure for the 'not gatorade' bottles. Have a girl on the sort loading the area threaten to call OSHA and report hazardous waste in a brown truck rolling down the road. Works like a charm. ;)

S

splozi

Are you saying that I shouldn't have drank the apple juice I thought the driver left in the car?

PigSkin

They must get rid of working Sundays. Attendance is horrid and employees are not motivated. Since Sundays started there has not been one Sunday of perfect attendance. The workers would be much more motivated and inspired with a Monday-Friday work schedule.

code5

klein, there are some drivers who do not work excessive overtime. One has to make the request, and be dilligent about enforcing the 9.5 rule. I don't speak for centers nationwide, but filing a 9.5 grievance in our building gets some real attention. We have a strong union steward and a good local. And, we have a good management team that gives plenty of work to those who want it or don't care, and at the same time reduces work for those who have made a formal request.

It works here.

Everyone has settled on 9.5 but why? Is that not excess overtime too. Most drivers start around 9, so thats punching out at 730p.m. Excess overtime should start at 8.5 I can understand not wanting to pay someone if they havn't worked a full 8 hour shift, but the extra 1.5 hours has so many negative entangables that I don't think its needed.

Around here they preach that they want to keep us under 9.5 but they sure don't want us to be too much under that either.

My one change in UPS would be an earlier start time as well. Give the drivers about a half an hour to finish up their load and communicate with their preloader, then get on road when 90 percent of the businesses open nowadays at 8 a.m. so good service can be provided to the business customers that also ship out. Not too many residential customers ship.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They must get rid of working Sundays. Attendance is horrid and employees are not motivated. Since Sundays started there has not been one Sunday of perfect attendance. The workers would be much more motivated and inspired with a Monday-Friday work schedule.

The operation requires that we work on Sundays.

PigSkin

Yeah, but in order for the centers to get their boxes on Monday someday has to process them on Sunday.

A- The HUB I work at just started Sundays' in August 2010. How did they get by previously ie... 2006,2005, 1995, 1991???

B- Then what would the logic be to work Sundays' prior to Memorial and Labor Day. No one is getting packages until Tuesday.

You are new but you will quickly realize that boxes are actually revenue.

Thanks and I realize that. But, again it's just boxes. The general population doesn't bite their nails and contemplate committing suicide if their boxes do not arrive when expected. As a matter of fact most people don't care and probably have to recall that they even ordered something.

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Pigskin, are you a driver? Do you deal with the general population in giving them their boxes? Yes, they care. It's why driver followups, concerns, commendation calls, and tipping occur. Not to mention our "customers" are not the general population, but the big money companies that ship to them, and they do care how well we handle their logistics.

curiousbrain

A- The HUB I work at just started Sundays' in August 2010. How did they get by previously ie... 2006,2005, 1995, 1991???

B- Then what would the logic be to work Sundays' prior to Memorial and Labor Day. No one is getting packages until Tuesday.

Thanks and I realize that. But, again it's just boxes. The general population doesn't bite their nails and contemplate committing suicide if their boxes do not arrive when expected. As a matter of fact most people don't care and probably have to recall that they even ordered something.

For better or worse, the general public does bite their nails and does contemplate suicide (or comparable action) if their boxes do not arrive on time. I've taken many phone calls from irate customers to know this.

As an insider, your contact with customers is minimal; trust, though, that they are rabid about their packages. Don't take my word for it, though, ask any driver.

edit: Or anyone who covers the package room/pickups, as it were.

rocket man

go back to riverside uniforms and i wish had a laundry company do our uniforms have the company pay half and we pay 8 bucks a week cleaned repaired picked up and they deliver back to building aramark uniforms remember there teamsters to.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I invite you to sit in a delivery center office during the day and help the OMS answer phone calls from customers who are freaking out over their boxes. If people didn't care so much about when they got their boxes the post office would have put us out of business a long time ago.

DS

Fenderbender
Back the whole operation up about 2 hours.

Working a 7am to 5:30 pm day would be a nice improvement over the 9-730 thing we do now.
This would mean all express pkgs would have to be back to our bldg by 6:30pm.
Our on demand service cut-off time is 6:30 pm.
This could be done with more air drivers that could also do cleanup,help the overdispatched drivers,and cover
the late oncalls.This messes up all IE's plans though,and for some reason,even though they are wrong most
of the time,ups thinks they are all geniuses.I like this idea though,even 1 hour would be a big improvement.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
go back to riverside uniforms and i wish had a laundry company do our uniforms have the company pay half and we pay 8 bucks a week cleaned repaired picked up and they deliver back to building aramark uniforms remember there teamsters to.

​I would never let a laundry company wash my uniforms. I can't stand the soap and starch they use.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Change one thing..........I would like the stripe on the side of my package car to be more reflective so I could be more visible at night.