If you could do it again and choose between UPS or Express, which would you choose?

l22

For long-time Express employees: if you could start over again and had a choice between UPS or Express, which would you choose? Even if you had to be a handler at UPS for a few years before becoming a Package Car Driver or a handler at Express before becoming a courier, which company would you choose if at most, after 5 years, you would be able to be a courier/driver?

Last edited:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
For long-time Express employees: if you could start over again and had a choice between UPS or Express, which would you choose? Even if you had to be a handler at UPS for a few years before becoming a Package Car Driver or a handler at Express before becoming a courier, which company would you choose if at most, after 5 years, you would be able to be a courier/driver?
I know you are asking fedexers, but why would this even be a serious question?

I've never met any fedex or FedEx Ground driver that made the same money, had a good pension and 401k both, and really good health insurance for you and your family.

Unless money does not matter to you, it's a no brainer......UPS.

Purplepackage

Are you talking express now or federal express from the early 80s

You can ask the guys who started back in 82 federal express gave them a means to live a decent life and now they are all topped out and happy.

Now express vs Ups now would be an entirely different story

Code43

As a former UPS driver now Express driver I can tell you that leaving UPS for Fedex was the biggest mistake I ever made 11 years ago. Not only for me but also for my family. No one told me in 2004 that it was going to take 50 years to top out at FedEx. Both jobs suck but FedEx is so much worse mentally. Especially on Friday's when I get my 560 dollar check. I'm ashamed of this company.

BigTex61

Back when I was hired in the mid 80's it was a no brainer. FEDEX! Pay and benefits were pretty close, Fedex was going places, was told by hiring manager that they take good care of there employees, Fedex will always stay within a dollar or two of ups wages, great work atmosphere, he was even an ex ups guy as we're alot of the fedex drivers back then. Huge mistake long term. Of I had it to do over, Ups.

dezguy

I've asked a couple UPS and Purolator guys over the years whether they would ever work for FedEx. The response is usually them laughing at me. Pretty sad because most of the guys who are about to retire at my station came to FedEx from UPS and Purolator.

Those at the top must be so proud. They have gone from a company that could attract drivers from their competitors to being considered laughable as an employment option.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've asked a couple UPS and Purolator guys over the years whether they would ever work for FedEx. The response is usually them laughing at me. Pretty sad because most of the guys who are about to retire at my station came to FedEx from UPS and Purolator.

Those at the top must be so proud. They have gone from a company that could attract drivers from their competitors to being considered laughable as an employment option.

I'm with Route 66, as in I'd just stay away from this industry. Even if you work for top money at UPS, your body still takes a pounding, and it isn't easy work. Always being pushed to be more productive and being micro-managed by Tayloristic techniques gets very old.

l22

Are you talking express now or federal express from the early 80s

You can ask the guys who started back in 82 federal express gave them a means to live a decent life and now they are all topped out and happy.

Express now, but a question on the topped out guys who started in the 80s - do they make more per hour than it would be possible to make now as a courier now if you started in the 2000s and stayed until 2030?

l22

Express now, but a question on the topped out guys who started in the 80s - do they make more per hour than it would be possible to make now as a courier now if you started in the 2000s and stayed until 2030?

In the 70s, 80s and 90s, was the hourly pay high enough to live comfortably during those decades if you only worked 35-40 hours a week? Or was the main benefit the abundance of hours that were available to couriers if they wanted them?

Last edited:

Purplepackage

In the 70s, 80s and 90s, was the hourly pay high enough to live comfortably during those decades if you only worked 35-40 hours a week? Or was the main benefit the abundance of hours that were available to couriers if they wanted them?

When the company started you topped out in 2 years, it was then changes to 4 years. So imagine being 21 and getting hired in 82 by the time you were 23 you were making top rate

FedGT

As a former UPS driver now Express driver I can tell you that leaving UPS for Fedex was the biggest mistake I ever made 11 years ago. Not only for me but also for my family. No one told me in 2004 that it was going to take 50 years to top out at FedEx. Both jobs suck but FedEx is so much worse mentally. Especially on Friday's when I get my 560 dollar check. I'm ashamed of this company.

I don't know much about express but I have to call bs on that. $560 a week after 11 years?? I have guys that have been with me for a year and a half that bring home way over that in a week. And that is from the "scab" ground model, and yes I did say bring home not gross

Coalminer2005

My biggest complaint with Fedex is it represents the core of what's wrong with corporate America. Taking the wealth and not being fair to their own employees. Intentionally treating them as contractors so they can deny them the fair living they deserve and the company has the means to do it. The sad thing is Working class Americans frown on this and continue to use their service. I don't blame the FedEx drivers because they are out there like the rest of us trying to make a living in a jobless economy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My biggest complaint with Fedex is it represents the core of what's wrong with corporate America. Taking the wealth and not being fair to their own employees. Intentionally treating them as contractors so they can deny them the fair living they deserve and the company has the means to do it. The sad thing is Working class Americans frown on this and continue to use their service. I don't blame the FedEx drivers because they are out there like the rest of us trying to make a living in a jobless economy.

Jobless economy? Unemployment is in the 5% range. There are jobs all over the place.

Coalminer2005

Jobless economy? Unemployment is in the 5% range. There are jobs all over the place.
You must be watching MSNBC. The actual jobless rate is much higher. 5% represents those reportedly actually out there looking for work. Not those getting government assistant not looking for work, those working under the table, or those just fed up and quit looking for work. You missed the point of my initial statement anyway.

MAKAVELI

I don't know much about express but I have to call bs on that. $560 a week after 11 years?? I have guys that have been with me for a year and a half that bring home way over that in a week. And that is from the "scab" ground model, and yes I did say bring home not gross
Our health benefits take a big chunk of our pay each week. With no wage progression $560 a week take home sounds about right for an 11 year employee who is not getting much ot.