If you could do it again and choose between UPS or Express, which would you choose?

Code43

I don't know much about express but I have to call bs on that. $560 a week after 11 years?? I have guys that have been with me for a year and a half that bring home way over that in a week. And that is from the "scab" ground model, and yes I did say bring home not gross

You're right. You don't know much about Express. I'm on the lowest payscale in the company.

FedGT

You're right. You don't know much about Express. I'm on the lowest payscale in the company.

Wow,
I had no idea, my apologies to you. I just know I have a couple employees that have health insurance subsidies and they take home much more than that. I am pretty surprised that you guys benefits cost that much, that is crazy for an 11 year veteran. I have a driver/ manager that has been with me for over 2 years and I treat him like gold.

Code43

Wow,
I had no idea, my apologies to you. I just know I have a couple employees that have health insurance subsidies and they take home much more than that. I am pretty surprised that you guys benefits cost that much, that is crazy for an 11 year veteran. I have a driver/ manager that has been with me for over 2 years and I treat him like gold.

No apologies needed. No offense taken. Most people don't realize how badly FedEx screws its employees. If I had a dollar for every time someone said "If I made what you fedex drivers make" I would be rich. This entire company is built on a foundation of lies.

Purplepackage

Wow,

Mid range express employees have gotten the shaft on every raise, guys who have been here 10 years are actually farther from top range than they are when they started. I imagine as bad as the company doesn't want to adress this they will have too becasue they are bleeding employees and the quality of the worker has fallen.

That being said and I know a lot of people don't have the luxury but My family is covered on my wife's health insurance, I've been here 17 years and I will
Not pay what express wants for health insurance

Slave101

Ups hands down. Pay really really sucks at express. 10 years in, sh**ty raises every year and now they'll "try" to make it right but that probably means another 5-10 years before reaching top pay of 5 years ago....

Coalminer2005

Any govt. job besides the PO. The PO is ran just like UPS
Wrong. UPS is a for profit company. The post office loses billions a year, pays no taxes since the taxes withheld are rolled back into the company, and unlike the post office if you don't perform as a driver to standard they will show you the door.

SmithBarney

I don't know much about express but I have to call bs on that. $560 a week after 11 years?? I have guys that have been with me for a year and a half that bring home way over that in a week. And that is from the "scab" ground model, and yes I did say bring home not gross
That's spot on, without OT(which we get none now) 10yrs, and I don't break $500/week.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
wow, i thought Express guys / gals were making much more... now i am not regretting working for a sub-contractor.

i net more than that per week without all that micro-managing and rushing around to get P1s then P2s off with no lates. others are netting over 1K per week, but they're busting their butts to do so. we're exploding at our terminal; they knocked down a wall and added a 3rd belt~ and some are upgrading from P700s to P100s for HD stuff.

it's really a stress free environment at my local HD as long as you don't have DNAs and disputes/claims. no time commits, just attempt every stop in your powerpad withing the HOS & the option of driving straight home with the van

rod

Retired 22 years
Wrong. UPS is a for profit company. The post office loses billions a year, pays no taxes since the taxes withheld are rolled back into the company, and unlike the post office if you don't perform as a driver to standard they will show you the door.

What you say is true when it comes to the financial end of it but they still treat and harass their employees the same as UPS does. Your basic mailman is ridden with/walked with and constantly made aware he/she isn't going fast enough.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I know you are asking fedexers, but why would this even be a serious question?

I've never met any fedex or FedEx Ground driver that made the same money, had a good pension and 401k both, and really good health insurance for you and your family.

Unless money does not matter to you, it's a no brainer......UPS.

I like the way you talk...

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1434947971.042952.jpg

You "tell it on the mountain" the virtues of belonging to my union yet, identify and vote for the people that would love to see all of that destroyed.

Lol?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
what I try to tell young people when they are starting out is the facts so they know what they are getting into. after 25 years at UPS I would probably do it again but I paid a hefty price.

worn out body, high blood pressure. and more. probably took 5-10 years off my lifespan since I worked graveyard for most of these years and all the harassment from management.

I try to dissuade young people from a career in either company. in my next lifetime I will either start my own business or work at a fun job even if the pay was a third. I encourage people to see the world and have fun for at least 10 years after high school like I did. those experiences were priceless.

glad im retiring before 60. maybe can have fun for the next 40 years. ha ha

l22

and unlike the post office if you don't perform as a driver to standard they will show you the door.

I thought it's pretty hard to lose your job as a driver at UPS due to union protection? I honestly don't know too much about how UPS works with discipline though - from what I understand, there is extreme micromanagement (far more than Express, even in this day and age), including on-road monitoring of driver's 'performance' in various aspects as well as lots of pressure from management face-to-face about on-road 'performance'. But I thought all of these things don't mean much at the end of the day if you file a grievance? How does it work?

jf2424

For long-time Express employees: if you could start over again and had a choice between UPS or Express, which would you choose? Even if you had to be a handler at UPS for a few years before becoming a Package Car Driver or a handler at Express before becoming a courier, which company would you choose if at most, after 5 years, you would be able to be a courier/driver?
Being at USPS I'd stay right where I'm at. I know that wasn't a selection but I was in the hub at UPS for two years in Phx when because of my CDL the test opened at USPS and a year later I was in. It's not perfect, management corruption, lazy marketing etc. But why would one even consider FedEx, all part timers, pressure for nothing.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I thought it's pretty hard to lose your job as a driver at UPS due to union protection? I honestly don't know too much about how UPS works with discipline though - from what I understand, there is extreme micromanagement (far more than Express, even in this day and age), including on-road monitoring of driver's 'performance' in various aspects as well as lots of pressure from management face-to-face about on-road 'performance'. But I thought all of these things don't mean much at the end of the day if you file a grievance? How does it work?
you are pretty much right about union protection but there are some "cardinal sins" that can get you fired without recourse. workplace violence, stealing, and a couple other things.

plenty of pressure and mental violence which is OK coming from management. must have a thick skin and a sense of humor. probably true anywhere these days.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
For long-time Express employees: if you could start over again and had a choice between UPS or Express, which would you choose? Even if you had to be a handler at UPS for a few years before becoming a Package Car Driver or a handler at Express before becoming a courier, which company would you choose if at most, after 5 years, you would be able to be a courier/driver?

UPS all the way.

Coalminer2005

You are correct. The union does provide us job protection to a point. At the end of the day the Company runs the show which is fine with me since we continue to remain profitable. Filing a lot of grievances puts you on their radar. You don't want that. You would have to work here to understand.