If You Had To Do It All Over Again....

I would do it all over again, believe it or not :happy2:.

I went to work for UPS at 19 the first time, 23 the second. I would not trade a minute of the time OR a single one of the experiences I had in 2 regions. I know a good organization when I see one and a lousy supervisor when I meet one because of the UPS I worked for the first time and the management I worked for both times. -Rocky
Hey Rocky, where are you these days?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Hey Rocky, where are you these days?

Still looking for work :(. Haven't had a serious contact from Texas since July. BUT, I have been getting interviews across the country. Washington, D.C. for a federal job, Salt Lake City for a company (this one flew me out there, all expenses paid), South Dakota and northern Chicago suburbs for a college. Its coming. Its just a matter of time. Ohhh....and when I do find a job, there's a woman that wants to 'go exclusive.' Aye, aye....:greedy:

beentheredonethat

I would have taken advantage of the tuition reimbursement for mgmt when I first started instead of sticking with just my Bachelors. At times, I feel it's a little too late, but other times, I think it would be helpful to have it still. (Maybe teach when I retire). Overall, I'm happy though with my decisions and current job. Almost 22 years in, at least a dozen more to go.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
At times, I feel it's a little too late, but other times, I think it would be helpful to have it still.

NO, its not too late! I helped a driver in Denver that earned a Bachelors in History as a part-timer. Good guy. He refused to go into management for the usual reasons and he didn't want to be a UPS'er for life. He told me he was thinking about going for a Masters in English or History before doing a Ph.D and teaching at a college or university. Unfortunately, life keeps him working at UPS. He'd be a great professor, too. Just has that personality and something else I never can put my finger on as a student.

Another driver I worked with was a great driver, hard-worker, etc. Didn't have the time to teach me the DIAD--not his fault we were overdispatched everyday--but was otherwise as patient a soul as I've ever met. When I last saw him, he said he was about 5 years away from retirement and was thinking about what he would do after that. He wasn't interested in college when he was in his teens and early 20s but admitted the idea of being a teacher had crossed his mind enough to talk to his wife about it over dinner a few nights and read something she found for him at a local university on teacher certification in the state. What he'd read hadn't turned him off to the idea of being a teacher, either, which is in itself interesting.

My point: GO FOR IT!!! -Rocky

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Christ, where do I start.....
I would of never of bought Tacos for my center, that was the start of the end for me at work.
I would punch the building manager ( at the time ) right in his cocky ugly fat face.
I would of bought a lot more stocks before they split

Dustyroads

After thirty years in package cars, I have no regrets. I was offered a job in management 25 years ago, I'm glad I didn't take it. I have a great route, a nice package car, and I do enjoy the job.

I guess I wish I had started at age 21 instead of 23. If I had done that, I'd be number one on the seniority list now!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would have stayed in the military for 20 yrs instead of leaving after 8 at my (ex) wife's "request". I would have used the degree that I worked so hard to finish while on active duty, most likely as a teacher.

tae111

I would not have turned down the police officer job to be a package driver in 1976. UPS paid more than twice as much back then. How times have changed.

I would not have waited more than 20 years to become a feeder driver.