If you were CEO for a day what would you buy/

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I, on the other hand, would submit a system wide order that NO helpers were to be used, PERIOD(with exception to peak season). All routes would be trimmed to a 8.5-9.0 planned day and the "allowances" would be fixed to reflect a real world time.

Year round helpers are not a win-win situation. For every two to three helpers (under your plan) there is a driver without a route to run.

I would also make sure the BD staff had enough people to actually spend some time signing up new customers, rather than just making useless phone calls or not contacting prospects at all.

one more thing. I would try to find a way to get next day air to the building at a time where the drivers would not spend half the day light hours waiting for late air.

All great thoughts, but respect is what it really is all about.
We had a serious windstorm last week, our building had no power til 7am. We all got out by 10am, yes had a few late air but I was impressed how everyone worked together for the end result. Except the management team, or I should say a few of them. I was not impressed, yelling at people like we were slugging along when in fact those ptimers, and drivers once we got there, did 6 1/2 hrs work in 3. Now in days gone by when I was a sup and we did a phenominal job as such, (days with no power, really late trailers coz of weather etc) I thanked everyone and did something special for them later on to reiterate I and UPS appreciated the hard work and the going the extra mile they did to service the customer. It was a good feeling. A job well done. This guy acted like we caused this natural diaster. It was our fault. I mentioned this to the sups who were dogged by him, and they didnt even notice. Now Am I too sensitive or are we all being acclimated to senseless beatings as "part of our job" I did not get yelled at, but to the ones who were being screamed at I felt for.
It was pretty bad out all day, no one had power many places were closed or had partial power, trees and power lines down all over the route. I managed to get done by 830, and not get electrocuted, BUT I seriously think we should not have been delivering at night. Someone could have got killed for a package. There was absolutely zero thought to that, just quit crying and get out your flashlight which is what one driver who called in and said it was unsafe was told. Its a whole different world when it is totally dark, not even a street light. Not to mention bad areas. But we dont recognize real safety issues here.
I have a ways to go, I dont know when I will retire, I hope it will be soon, but things keep changing for me as to when I will be able to. Til then, I just ignore the crap, Im totally disillusioned working for a company who used to care, to working for the one I work at now. If I had felt truly unsafe, I would have parked it and claimed female problems, or something. I managed to stay safe by using my brights and going extremely slow, and when questioned about my 1.56 late, I remeinded them we didnt leave the building until 10 and so I had one hour of am time that should have been coded to something else, but no we eat that to.
The standard answer is yes the numbers may be wrong but thats what we have to live by, and my standard answer is, "no YOU have to live by them" I just do my job.
Rant over

sexyupsman

If I were CEO of UPS I wouldnt buy a jet or a bigger building. I would invest in the drivers. If the drivers are happy then they have nothing to worry about. I would have major incentive programs that would encourage them to push sales leads. I realize they have programs but I also know the garbage offered in those books. Who wants a UPS dominoe set? Ok I do! But thats besides the point. Monetary compensations for safe driving (the safe drivers pin is cute but it aint money) they are saving money on their insurance if the drivers have safe driving habits. I would have open communication systems so the drivers can be in direct contact with their sups if they need. The DIAD takes to long to transmit information. If I were CEO it would be about the drivers, loaders and the customers. No more overstuffing the executives. Give back to the people that make this company the mighty intity that it is. Go Brown!:peaceful: