I'll Never Retire!

wkmac

Here's a challenge. No matter hourly or management, find 5 people who will utter that statement at UPS. You'll do well not to find 5 people who aren't saying "I can't wait until I retire!" I swear I think it's in the policy book that we all say this. :happy-very:

OK, as much as there is to laugh about us all at UPS there has been more and more evidence coming forth that continuing to work is a good thing in regards to health and longevity. Another piece along these lines I read today and it got me to wondering.

Could a partial or even major solution to the social security problem be in allowing retirees to work and be completely tax free if they choose to work and not draw social security, even after reaching the mandatory ages? Granted, there are many other issues to address in all of this and the numbers may not really work but in reading the above (even though nothing like this was mentioned) I had to wonder about this myself.

Retiring from UPS is a real appealing thought but not to hang out around the house and do nothing or spend day after day on the golf course. As a lefty who can not hook a ball to save his life, I reframe from golf in the interest of world peace.:happy-very: Upon retiring from UPS I do plan on doing something else work related but this time it won't be about money to sustain a lifestyle. I often joke my post UPS dreamjob is driving the truck. You know, the white S-10 with the yellow hat on top that sez NAPA!:wink2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Twenty is plenty. In my local as long as you have at least 10 years fulltime you can take an early retirement at age 50. As soon as I can crunch the numbers and feel it's economically feasible, I'm gone. I won't stay one second longer than I absolutely have to.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Twenty is plenty. In my local as long as you have at least 10 years fulltime you can take an early retirement at age 50. As soon as I can crunch the numbers and feel it's economically feasible, I'm gone. I won't stay one second longer than I absolutely have to.
25 in sept and Im looking long and hard!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I work with 2 that will never retire. 1 is probably still having fun, the other just doesn't have a life (I swear he will die in his truck). They both have 30+ yrs in.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I work with 2 that will never retire. 1 is probably still having fun, the other just doesn't have a life (I swear he will die in his truck). They both have 30+ yrs in.
Must be something in the water out there. I know guys like that in feeders, but no one in package.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
They thought capping the pension at 35 would be an incentive. No such luck. These guys just can't imagine life without brown unless they came here to finish their years rather than start their years. This is the only life alot of these guys have. They live to work instead of working to live. That's why so many of them won't even take all the vacation time they have coming. Couldn't bear the thought of being out of the loop for that many weeks per year. Not to mention the addiction to the paycheck. We have a guy with 46 years, (3rd in total company seniority), that just had an accident and told the company he needed a fast hearing because he didn't want to miss out on paychecks.

paidslave

Here's a challenge. No matter hourly or management, find 5 people who will utter that statement at UPS. You'll do well not to find 5 people who aren't saying "I can't wait until I retire!" I swear I think it's in the policy book that we all say this. :happy-very:

OK, as much as there is to laugh about us all at UPS there has been more and more evidence coming forth that continuing to work is a good thing in regards to health and longevity. Another piece along these lines I read today and it got me to wondering.

Could a partial or even major solution to the social security problem be in allowing retirees to work and be completely tax free if they choose to work and not draw social security, even after reaching the mandatory ages? Granted, there are many other issues to address in all of this and the numbers may not really work but in reading the above (even though nothing like this was mentioned) I had to wonder about this myself.

Retiring from UPS is a real appealing thought but not to hang out around the house and do nothing or spend day after day on the golf course. As a lefty who can not hook a ball to save his life, I reframe from golf in the interest of world peace.:happy-very: Upon retiring from UPS I do plan on doing something else work related but this time it won't be about money to sustain a lifestyle. I often joke my post UPS dreamjob is driving the truck. You know, the white S-10 with the yellow hat on top that sez NAPA!:wink2:

I think you are on to something here, seriously. This way lots of people will never collect and there will be more for me when I am eligible!

Thanks....great idea!