Illegal to leave in mailbox

New Englander

Okay guy, so if its been a rule for 19 years why are they having people sign off on it? I was speaking in broad terms about the enforcement of "new" rules, not specifically this one. UPS cannot just type up a new rule in Microsoft Word and have people sign it, it's an extra contract agreement. A glaring example would be this "cell phone while driving" nonsense that they are pushing everywhere. While most of us don't do this, UPS is trying to make this a cardinal sin here by having people sign off. This is an extra contract agreement and any BA worth his weight will tell UPS to hit the road because it is void.

Griff, why are you such a tool?

State governments everywhere are starting to pass laws on "use of a cell phone while driving".

Yet it's nonsense when UPS wants you not to do it.

While we are on that topic, UPS training is two hands on the wheel. The Union has never had a problem with that. Kind of hard to operate a cell in a UPS truck with both hands on the wheel, no?

brownman15

While we are on that topic, UPS training is two hands on the wheel. The Union has never had a problem with that. Kind of hard to operate a cell in a UPS truck with both hands on the wheel, no?

well i guess then we have to stay in first gear cannot take hand off wheel to shift.

Griff

State governments everywhere are starting to pass laws on "use of a cell phone while driving".

Yet it's nonsense when UPS wants you not to do it.

Never said I condoned talking on the cell phone while driving. I don't condone UPS inventing new cardinal sins on a whim. They alter and amend the contract as they see fit and I will never stand for it. This is the whole problem with management at UPS, they think they are a government unto themselves. I don't care what state governments are doing, it shouldn't take a law to be passed to get idiots off their phone and certainly shouldn't take disciplinary action. Cardinal sins are listed very clearly in the contract and the company constantly makes new ones up as they go, nobody should stand for this. It also isn't about two hands on the wheel because here we have these amazing things called hands-free devices but UPS says they are banned on company property which includes trucks. So here in this local we have two issues that commonly get treated as cardinal offenses by management (seatbelt and cellphone), neither of these are listed as cardinal offenses in the contract. So who is really being the tool here?

TheKid

It is illegal for us to leave anything in the mailbox....that is why I put it in a bag and leave it " at mailbox". I have also left notices "on" the mailbox.

Never said I condoned talking on the cell phone while driving. I don't condone UPS inventing new cardinal sins on a whim. They alter and amend the contract as they see fit and I will never stand for it. This is the whole problem with management at UPS, they think they are a government unto themselves. I don't care what state governments are doing, it shouldn't take a law to be passed to get idiots off their phone and certainly shouldn't take disciplinary action. Cardinal sins are listed very clearly in the contract and the company constantly makes new ones up as they go, nobody should stand for this. It also isn't about two hands on the wheel because here we have these amazing things called hands-free devices but UPS says they are banned on company property which includes trucks. So here in this local we have two issues that commonly get treated as cardinal offenses by management (seatbelt and cellphone), neither of these are listed as cardinal offenses in the contract. So who is really being the tool here?

Seatbelts should be a fireable offence and if you get in an acident while on your cell phone you should be fired. Come on Griff it's common sence to wear you seatbelt, even to someone like you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Seatbelts should be a fireable offence and if you get in an acident while on your cell phone you should be fired. Come on Griff it's common sence to wear you seatbelt, even to someone like you.
So if management wants to get a "troublemaker" (pro-union) terminated, all they have to do is take a photograph of him driving a package car and then Photoshop the seat belt out of the picture? No thanks!

New Englander

Griff....don't be a :censored2:. The Union is going to back them on safety issues like this.

ESPECIALLY when laws are being passed all the time on that same issue.

Are you just trying to get a rise or is this really your thought process? I'm worried.

feeder53

ADKtrails
What I got from this thread, is that everyone knows their area and can try different things. The law is clear, the PO is the only one that is to use the mailbox. I look at the liability of the act.....if someone even claims to have lost mail and there is a UPS delivery in it.....I have seen salesman leave flyers in the mail and people with lost pets do it too. The boy/girl scouts have a canned food drive and ask that it be left in the mailbox also...

New Englander

So if management wants to get a "troublemaker" (pro-union) terminated, all they have to do is take a photograph of him driving a package car and then Photoshop the seat belt out of the picture? No thanks!

UPS lives with the Union, a "troublemaker" is not someone who is Pro-Union. It's one of the many dirt bags who are amongst us that push the limits and hide behind the union.

Obviously a photo shopped photo would become a major liability to UPS, legally.

Your grasping.

Griff

UPS lives with the Union, a "troublemaker" is not someone who is Pro-Union. It's one of the many dirt bags who are amongst us that push the limits and hide behind the union.

Obviously a photo shopped photo would become a major liability to UPS, legally.

Your grasping.

You're either in management or just plain clueless. Those two seem to go hand in hand anyways, so neither would shock me. A troublemaker to management is most definitely someone who is pro-union. They don't want people who know their rights and they certainly don't want people around that are willing to put their foot down and stand up for themselves and others (push the limits in your words). We have already had several managers on this forum admit that people are targeted simply for their union involvement. They claim the person is a disruption to the operation and that justifies the bullseye that gets painted on said person.

browniehound

It is illegal for us to leave anything in the mailbox....that is why I put it in a bag and leave it " at mailbox". I have also left notices "on" the mailbox.

Can somebody please clarify something for me? Why are you leaving info-notices on the mailbox? I'm thinking these are signature required boxes and you must go to the door and ring and knock. When the consignee is not home, you leave an info-notice at the door. In which scenario would this be left at a mailbox on the side of the road? I know I'm missing something here. What is it?

New Englander

You're either in management or just plain clueless. Those two seem to go hand in hand anyways, so neither would shock me. A troublemaker to management is most definitely someone who is pro-union. They don't want people who know their rights and they certainly don't want people around that are willing to put their foot down and stand up for themselves and others (push the limits in your words). We have already had several managers on this forum admit that people are targeted simply for their union involvement. They claim the person is a disruption to the operation and that justifies the bullseye that gets painted on said person.

Griff....please try and push that peanut of your's a bit harder, no?

The Union and UPS have been together much longer then you and I have been here.

If UPS screws up and violates the contract. They will get called on it. I have never seen anyone get punished or treated badly for that. Heck we have a part-time local sort employee who is also an air driver. Refuses extra work collecting air at night from drivers 9 out of 10 times called. Trust me every time he catches management on the road and no call to him was made. He brings the Union in and gets paid.

He still suffers no ill effect from management because of this.

There is one contract Griff, it is to be followed both by us and them (management). You can't think that you can stand up for your rights in the contract but not follow it to the letter yourself. So call them on stuff....but be prepared for them to do the same if you are not following policies.

I see that happen all the time. Happened to me.

DS

Fenderbender
Can somebody please clarify something for me? Why are you leaving info-notices on the mailbox? I'm thinking these are signature required boxes and you must go to the door and ring and knock. When the consignee is not home, you leave an info-notice at the door. In which scenario would this be left at a mailbox on the side of the road? I know I'm missing something here. What is it?
What you are missing is that the first thing everyone does when they get home is to check thier mail, also, not everyone has a mailbox on the side of the road.I you go to the door and nobody's home its windy and raining,no storm door,the mailbox is dry and secure.Most mailboxes here are right beside the front door.

I have never seen anyone targeted because of union involvement...Only targeted because they are an ass...That reminds me of a line in James and the Giant Peach move. "You sir, are an ass!"

rod

Retired 22 years
I have never seen anyone targeted because of union involvement...Only targeted because they are an ass...That reminds me of a line in James and the Giant Peach move. "You sir, are an ass!"[/quote

I would have to disagree with you. They went totally out of their way to harass the 2 different union stewards that I had. The stewards were just doing their job - making sure the company followed their own contract.

New Englander

I have never seen anyone targeted because of union involvement...Only targeted because they are an ass...That reminds me of a line in James and the Giant Peach move. "You sir, are an ass!"[/quote

I would have to disagree with you. They went totally out of their way to harass the 2 different union stewards that I had. The stewards were just doing their job - making sure the company followed their own contract.

Were the Stewards actively policing the Union Employees as well?
If not....well you can't have your cake and eat it to.

A good Steward needs to look at the contract from both sides. You can't go fight for someone who completely disregards the contract themselves.

Far too many Stewards I've seen only look at it as a us against them thing.