im 19, i need advice. help?

bl04a

Go to school and get the degree while still at UPS. Having the degree can only help you. Being a driver is tough, but financially rewarding. You'll be beat up, tired, and frustrated sometimes, but you'll always be happy when you get that paycheck every Thursday. I'm 44 years old and have been a driver for 19 years and just started getting my degree this past Janurary. After you get your degree you may want to do something else besides UPS, but atleast the choice will be yours.

Earion

Just like Covemaster said use the UPS reimbursement. UPS will either pay for it or at least help you pay for you to get a degree. Make sure that you read everything about it because there are some stipulations at least for management. Depending on how long you are in school and the cost to UPS will determine a lot. If you do a little research on upsers.com you will find out all the information that you need.

See, one of the reasons I took the job with UPS was the promised tuition reimbursement. However, when I approached management to get the ball in motion, after UPSers dot com said I was not eligible when I tried to sign up; I was told I would have to be a part time supervisor to get tuition reimbursement. I feel like a bait and switch went down and I am still salty about it.

rod

Retired 22 years
From what I've seen with the children of friends of mind lately is a college degree is worthless. They are all living at home working in low paying jobs (the ones that are actually working) not related to what their degrees are in. Its a tough market out there so don't burn all your bridges at UPS thinking just any higher education is the answer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what I've seen with the children of friends of mind lately is a college degree is worthless. They are all living at home working in low paying jobs (the ones that are actually working) not related to what their degrees are in. Its a tough market out there so don't burn all your bridges at UPS thinking just any higher education is the answer.

Both my daughter and son-in-law have bachelor degrees in Biology and neither is working in their career fields. They are both underemployed.

Indecisi0n

I am not working in my field of study either. I looked at the degree as just a piece of paper that shows I am not a retarded and have the ability to learn/retain new material. I now use it to look pretty on my resume which helps me get my foot in the door.

Always have protected sex. By doing this you won't have any mishaps that will force you to make this a career. Go to school get a degree and get out of here. The quality of life is better elsewhere.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I am not working in my field of study either. I looked at the degree as just a piece of paper that shows I am not a retarded and have the ability to learn/retain new material. I now use it to look pretty on my resume which helps me get my foot in the door.

So those of us that dont have a degree are retarded? Lol

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
ok, im 19 years old and have been working at ups a little less than a year. my big problem is i dont know whether i should stick to ups and become a driver (i've heard it takes forever) or go get a degree and pursue a career, but i dont know what to major in :/ im not a over achiever or anything i know i wont ever be a doctor or a lawyer, but i can be smart when i try, guess im just lazy. any career advice? is driving worth it? im not artistic, or creative, but im a hard worker, and just need advice. any suggestions on how to start my life?

Well, it’s been 12 years………. How did you make out?

Big Babooba

Have you considered a trade? Apply for an apprenticeship and leave UPS. One of my neighbors is a carpenter, another is a retired plumber and another is an electrician. My son is also an electrician.They are doing well for themselves. Most trade unions if not all have apprenticeship programs. The money and benefits are good if you go union.

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
I worked at UPS during school. When i was graduating, i applied to work at an office job that used my degree at UPS and they basically automatically accepted me for being internal. No way in hell would I have been able to get a job as easily.

So yeah, go to school and work at UPS, just hope you dont get put in any of Carol’s lists. I am not far from your age and I can say I do way better than most college grads my age.

Last edited:

Savage21

#1 Saturday driver ✊
My advice would be to look in to joining the military. Yes, I am being serious. You are 19 and have already said that school is not that big of a deal for you. Serve 4 years active (2 years inactive) and take advantage of the tuition assistance (90%) while on active duty and the GI Bill once you get out. Choose an AFSC or MOS that translates well to a civilian job.

Driving a pkg car is not the end all, be all that some folks make it out to be.
Yup. This is what I wish I did if I could do it over. And still woulda been able to start driving at ups earlier or the same time I actually started driving if it came down to it.

542thruNthru

Yup. This is what I wish I did if I could do it over. And still woulda been able to start driving at ups earlier or the same time I actually started driving if it came down to it.
Know a few guys that joined the reserves and got a pension from that along with a pension from the teamsters for not working and serving there country. They are going to live a good life in retirement.

I recommend it to anyone I know that has the drive to join the military.