I'm bout to bleed brown

I drive a 5 speed stick shift car. Are the steps the same for the ups trucks. What the road test is like. Im in brooklyn ny there are not that much hills thank u

over9five

Staff member
If you already drive a stick, you are ahead in the game. Shifting a package car is the same thing.

I can't tell you what the road test is like now cuz mine was more than 20 years ago. Back then, the tester parked the PC facing up a big hill. "Roll back an inch and you're done!"

Good luck!

ups1990

The older p1000's have 4 gears and reverse. It shouldn't be a problem for you but what might take some adjustment is getting a feel for the vehicle. This will come with actually driving it. Follow the 5 seeing habits and the 10 pt. commentary. Wish you the best.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have an automatic. Have for a while. I think I remember the pattern being a little different. I think the R is to the left and up from the 1st and 2nd gear shift. The road test is just driving a p1000 around a few blocks. Nothing major.
Driver school is a lot more in depth. One week of driving and computer work.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You should be fine. Get use to the games. Remember this, most of the decision making isn't done at the local level.
The truck is easy to get use to, but remember your back swing. Think about it like this: You have Kim Kardashian's butt and are trying to maneuver through a very tiny restaurant.
That thing takes some care to get it throught there without smacking someone in the face.

Cool.. so how do you know where to deliver to do you have gps. Am scared I might get lost out there. Someone told me that all the routes are left turns only sorry for all the question!!!!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Your 'on-car' supervisor will take you (if you are lucky) on your route and train you for at least 3 days. You get the basics. Technically, we can't use gps. I have known several that do, though. Just don't leave it in the truck. It seems impossible, but when you get use to it, you will see how it all falls into place. Good luck to you, Primetimeups. Welcome. I can see me calling you Prime, as the rest is too long to type everytime. I hope that's ok. You can call me 'me' 'meno' or whatever. Just not late for dinner. I work out and get hungry!! LOL!! :rofl:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Cool.. so how do you know where to deliver to do you have gps. Am scared I might get lost out there. Someone told me that all the routes are left turns only sorry for all the question!!!!

LOL, RIGHT TURNS ONLY DUDE.

Many different types of trucks and all have different gear ratios, some have 4 and others have 5. Some have 1-4 and reverse, other have reverse-then1-4.

During test and parked on hill: keep Emergency break on and do clutch,gear and drop E brake while easing into the gas if you are not comfortable.

Old school maps and a gps for those hard to find addresses. but don't even think of trying gps for the whole of your route. you'll spend half your day plugging in 170 stops and not practical at all. Rely on white copy paper maps of your area and get their EArly, ask for a manifest of the route and plot before your day starts using a highlighter. You'll get your area knowledge down soon as long as you focus 1 stop at a time and just try to absorbe your area the 1st few days. productivety will come after.

Sucks to get in early and trace a new route out that u don't know just to get switched to a totally different no area knowledge route right before start time PCM. Those are AWESOME DAYS, cough.

Last edited:

old levi's

blank space
You should be fine. Get use to the games. Remember this, most of the decision making isn't done at the local level.
The truck is easy to get use to, but remember your back swing. Think about it like this: You have Kim Kardashian's butt and are trying to maneuver through a very tiny restaurant.
That thing takes some care to get it throught there without smacking someone in the face.

If you have that butt, go ahead and park it because your tail swing is gonna take somebody out.

I drive a 5 speed stick shift car. Are the steps the same for the ups trucks. What the road test is like. Im in brooklyn ny there are not that much hills thank u
You'll understand what it means to bleed brown when you start bleeding out your rectum. Then you will understand what it means to be in our fraternity.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not left turns, it's supposed to be right turns but it rarely works out that way. My suggestion would be to get a map book of the area that you are in and look at it. learn the streets, as much as possible, before hand. It will help you in the long run. I had a great advantage when I started driving. 1-I worked residential trash pickup in my area, 2-I was a courier in my area and 3-I lived in the area for many years. We have 8 different zip codes in my area and I know every one of them very well. Took me some time to learn them, but there isn't a street that I can't give you directions too.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was on my way to a doctor appointment in Newport Beach going up the 73 Toll Rd. It was about 9:05 or 9:10 AM........and it was neat to see all the different size brown trucks going north & south, like a brown parade on their way to their areas.