I'm frustrated

D

Dis-organized Labor

No, the supervisors don't forget the extra effort. They expect it all the time.

No excuses; no denials.....

We do expect the over and above to make things smooth out.
I can't speak for you Management people, but for me, I sometimes get so wrapped up in what I'm doing, I forget (actually do not have time or forget) to thank my folks for their "extra's" that made things come together.
I don't have too many people reporting to me, but I have a fair idea of what each one is like.
I have folks that range from doing an UNBELIEVABLE extra effort and says: "No big deal; you don't have to thank me" to some PITA that wants thanks, approval, pats on the head, JUST for showing up!
It's difficult to take care of everyone, and UPS has a tendency to add many more duties to Managers (at least me), other than just managing...

What'dyabringmetoday???

No excuses; no denials.....

We do expect the over and above to make things smooth out.
I can't speak for you Management people, but for me, I sometimes get so wrapped up in what I'm doing, I forget (actually do not have time or forget) to thank my folks for their "extra's" that made things come together.
I don't have too many people reporting to me, but I have a fair idea of what each one is like.
I have folks that range from doing an UNBELIEVABLE extra effort and says: "No big deal; you don't have to thank me" to some PITA that wants thanks, approval, pats on the head, JUST for showing up!
It's difficult to take care of everyone, and UPS has a tendency to add many more duties to Managers (at least me), other than just managing...
I wish they would add to me the duty of hauling a trailer or two to the hub, turn around, bring a couple back. That's my kind of duty.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Call me a masochist, but I actually enjoy peak season.

Your a masochist :happy-very:.

I hurt my back once right before peak and the doc put me on light duty for all of peak. Though my back hurt like hell (and continues to hurt from time to time), it still felt like I hit some kinda lottery missing peak.

P.S. I hope you feel better.

Re-Raise

I was just thinking back to last year and the ice storms we had here in the midwest before Christmas. The weather has been much better so far and looks pretty good through the end of the week.

I bring this up because I recall the torture you guys went through out in Oregon last year at this time. Even here in the midwest I had to shake my head watching that storm rolling in off the ocean and sitting over the top of you guys.

You have already proven yourself hoss, take the time to get better and don't give it a second thought.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes you are a sick man. And I am with you on this point.
Everything is prettier, customers are friendlier, trucks are full of just "your area". I broke my ankle on the 17 of December 1997, and I felt like I let everyone down, and I missed the peak week. Sick maybe, but that is, like it or not, the way at this point in our lives, we are programmed.

ups1990

Soberups. If you were to make it through peak. What happens after Christmas? Would you be allowed to go on TAW? Your center manager, might have a change in heart. I feel like you in that I've been fortunate to not have been hurt on or off the job and to get hurt during peak would make me dissapointed. If you can't go, you can't go. Come back in 2010 rested and healthy.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Soberups. If you were to make it through peak. What happens after Christmas? Would you be allowed to go on TAW? Your center manager, might have a change in heart. I feel like you in that I've been fortunate to not have been hurt on or off the job and to get hurt during peak would make me dissapointed. If you can't go, you can't go. Come back in 2010 rested and healthy.

I am technically on TAW at this time because I am working under a restriction...but they decided to let me go ahead and run my route as long as I use a helper for the entire day and stay off my feet as much as possible. I dont normally use a helper for more than a couple of hours during peak because I get a lot more rural stops, but I still cant walk long distances without pain. I am getting better though, the swelling is gone and I'm hoping to be off of TAW in another week or so. If not, I can deal with a few days of sitting in the office once peak is over.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Everything is prettier, customers are friendlier, trucks are full of just "your area". I broke my ankle on the 17 of December 1997, and I felt like I let everyone down, and I missed the peak week. Sick maybe, but that is, like it or not, the way at this point in our lives, we are programmed.

There's nothing sick about wanting to give your employer, your co-workers and your customers 110% during peak season.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Definitely applies to me so maybe "sick" in a good way.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
There's nothing sick about wanting to give your employer, your co-workers and your customers 110% during peak season.

Sure, but the reason many of us get injured on the job is because the company wants way more than a "110%" effort.

Should I feel guilty for my body breaking down under such duress and then "letting eveybody down". Hell no!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds as though I am in the minority but I applaud Sober and his dedication. I am glad his center manager came to his senses and decided to take advantage of Sober's route knowledge by giving him a helper for the day. It will be hard for him to just drive--he will find himself trying to sort or do whatever he can to help out.

This is the time of year for everyone to step up and Sober has most certainly done so.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't begrudge anyone else for the way they approach this time of year, but I quit buying into all the hype about "peak" a long time ago. As much as possible I just treat it like any other day at work. I arrive at the center at my scheduled start time, work at the same pace utilizing the same methods, take my hour lunch, clock out and go home. I have to admit the helper is nice though. I could get used to having an assistant :happy-very:.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sure, but the reason many of us get injured on the job is because the company wants way more than a "110%" effort.

Should I feel guilty for my body breaking down under such duress and then "letting eveybody down". Hell no!

I don't begrudge anyone else for the way they approach this time of year, but I quit buying into all the hype about "peak" a long time ago. As much as possible I just treat it like any other day at work. I arrive at the center at my scheduled start time, work at the same pace utilizing the same methods, take my hour lunch, clock out and go home. I have to admit the helper is nice though. I could get used to having an assistant :happy-very:.

Good points - it is important to be able to pace yourself and work safely.
Each person is responsible to themselves to use their judgment in this regard.

I see the same thing with developers ... during crunch times they are working 12 hour days and many times on the weekend and they get tired and lose concentration and make mistakes (accidents).

UPS Lifer

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here ??? Are you shifting blame and responsibility for injuries onto UPS because you are giving way more than 110% effort? :rofl:

Please tell me that is not what you are trying to say!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I have said time and again that the company trains us how to do the job safely, then expects us to work at a pace in which said training will not work.

Sooo, because we are just human and not the automatons the company expects us to be, the inherent contradiction in which we endeavor in will inevitably lead to injuries.

To answer your question then, yes. I would not have been injured if I was not working at a pace that was inherently unsafe, all to meet production goals. And yes, I used the methods.

D

Dis-organized Labor

It sounds as though I am in the minority but I applaud Sober and his dedication. I am glad his center manager came to his senses and decided to take advantage of Sober's route knowledge by giving him a helper for the day. It will be hard for him to just drive--he will find himself trying to sort or do whatever he can to help out.

This is the time of year for everyone to step up and Sober has most certainly done so.

Well, I agree with you!
Sober has the kind of attitude that many have, but unfortunately, the ones with a different attitude are usually louder than the former.

It is possible to be injured while using the proper work methods. It is pretty much proven fact that an exhausted body is more prone to injury, even while doing normal activities. That's one reason you see more injuries during the fourth quarter of a football game than you do in the first.

I too, applaud Sober for his exuberance in his approach and his attitude. However, if you can't go, you can't go. This playing with pain thing is WAY over rated. The broken toe is gonna heal, in time. The time may be increased by continuing to drive, sort (you know you will) and move package to the helper. Just be careful so you can come back to fight another day. Not being a doctor, I have no idea if a broken toe will cause future problems like a sprained ankle of a shoulder dislocation, do you?

My previous post is an agreement with this.

I'm sorry, but I see no reason for the "hired help" to work anymore strenuous this time of year than any other time of the year. It could be that UPS should step up, this time of year, with better plans so people are not pushed to the absolute maximum of what can be done and then expect more.

I do hope that no one has an injury that will side line them for peak and after.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
sober,,, i know exactly how you feel ,, after many years its a matter of pride,, right or wrong ,,or whatever ,,its how some of us feel...rock on man..............what kind of person gives up during peak???????????

tieguy

Banned
My center manager says this means I am on TAW and that this will count as a lost time injury. It is a point of professional pride for me that in 23 years with this company I have never missed a workday during peak season.

A lost time injury is also a d.a.r.t. A taw is not a lost time injury. If you did not miss any time then you are not a lost time injury.

I have always viewed peak season as being sort of like the World Series or the NBA Finals...its a time to nut up, put aside any issues or minor injuries, and just get the work done. Just because I cant do any "prolonged walking" is no reason to make me sit in the office all day.:angry-very2:

I've seen this one go both ways. There is some risk for the center manager to do what you want him to do. If you go out TAW with a helper and somehow reinjure the ankle or make it worse then not only are you hurt worse but he gets shot for being the dumass that made that decision. I've seen managers make that call to send you out but in todays world he is probably going to play it safe ( no pun intended) and let you go through the TAW process in the office.

I love your gung ho attitude and appreciate what it is you want to do for us.