I'm getting that feeling already

upsgrunt

I've been on vacation this past week and I go back to work on Monday. Usually I don't get that "dreaded" feeling in my stomach until Sunday night, but here it is Saturday and I already have it. It is like you know a beating is coming and there is no way out of it.

How do you describe the feeling at the end of a vacation and the inevitable return to work?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've been on vacation this past week and I go back to work on Monday. Usually I don't get that "dreaded" feeling in my stomach until Sunday night, but here it is Saturday and I already have it. It is like you know a beating is coming and there is no way out of it.

How do you describe the feeling at the end of a vacation and the inevitable return to work?

Just another day, except I don't have to worry about what to do today.

jimstud

Banned

it is like you just finished the last call jack and coke and you know you are going to feel like dog poo in the morning.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

My On Car Supe has that same sinking feeling the days leading up to my return from a vacation.
This year she told me that she always made sure to wait to schedule her vacations until after I scheduled mine so she could be sure to be there while I was on vacation.
She claimed it is like a vacation for her while I am gone.
My reply to her was "we'll both be looking forward to the last week of May then won't we?".

cosmictrucker

counting the months

Happy Happy, Joy Joy ?

rocket man

call in sick on monday its a slow day

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I don't know, ask me next weekend. I'm on vacation this week. :happy-very:

bigbrownhen

It's not too bad after one week, but if your off two or more, it takes a few days to get back into the grove of the job. Make sure you spend alot of time outdoors, get acclimated to the heat again if you've been inside in the A/C alot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think you should think about a career change if you are that miserable.

What Grunt is experiencing is not unusual as I experience it the Sunday night before going back to work after having been on vacation. It is not as bad if I have been off for two weeks as by that point I am ready to get back to work.

Ghost in the Darkness

I went back last week after a week off and I wasn't really dreading it. Monday was a good day at 8 1/2 hrs. The rest of the week they stuck it to me though. I prefer to think that UPS doesn't exist when I'm not there, it only does when I'm there or working or driving to work... the rest of the time is my time. I don't hate this job but long days do wear on you. Every workweek I push through Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday is halfway, Thursday is payday, and Friday is... well... its tgif and 2 days off!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What Grunt is experiencing is not unusual as I experience it the Sunday night before going back to work after having been on vacation. It is not as bad if I have been off for two weeks as by that point I am ready to get back to work.
I have that feeling every night when I get home, dragging butt in my door knowing Im going to get beat in the am for doing my best. Yes its time for a career change, Called retirement

Re-Raise

I usually just can't believe nine days can go by so fast..

Looks like we are in for some more hot and humid weather bring plenty to drink, and start crossing off the days till your next week off it can't be too far away.

upsgrunt

I think you should think about a career change if you are that miserable.

I've been doing this 24 years and fully believe God made me to be a UPS driver. I'm generally a happy go lucky kind of guy and can find enjoyment in whatever I do. I also believe that no matter what you do in life to make a living, you do not go to work every single day whistling zippity doo da out your can. Show me in my post where I even implied that I was miserable. Your canned response seems to be to quit no matter what subject is being talked about. I don't quit ANYTHING that I start; especially when I don't want to.

ups1990

Grunt, I used to feel this way during my first 2 years of driving but rarely do now. Sometimes it would affect my sleeping because the thought of the unknown. Not knowing where I would placed at and having to maybe go out cold on a route and the stress of possibly coming home very late, kept me up many a nights.
Coming back from vacation is not bad, at times it has taken me a whole working day to get back on my routine and avoid the silly mistakes.
After 24 years of service, you probably feel this uneasiness due to the fact that you still care about this job and want to perform at a high level.

Last edited:

stealth8

Sorry,I guess miserable was the wrong choice of words. If you "dread" going back to work after a vacation, then maybe you should consider a career change. 30 years in, this September(all in delivery),and I don't ever recall getting a "dreading" feeling in my gut knowing that I had to go back to work after a vacation. I am thankful that I work for a company that I can take up to 8wks a year, for a break, from a job I truly enjoy! Sorry that you don't feel the same way Grunt. Congrats on your 24 years of service. I'm just voicing my opinion here sorry if you don't agree with it. Good Luck to you!