I'm going to retire soon

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I understand the risk/award aspect of starting a business. Also I have figured out that I should be able to live off my saved stash forever allowing me to pick and choose if I want to work or not.
The point is UPS is able to provide a salary for someone wanting to retire early. All and all anyone can retire with well over a million.

This is the book that started it all for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Thomas-Stanley/dp/0671015206

Your gonna live 40+ years off a million bucks? Good luck. You'll be eating beans and rice the rest of your life. Just not how some of us want to live.

I hope to have 5 million in savings plus the pension and SS. Granted we want to travel and not have to worry about money.

A million sounds like a lot now but 30 years from now it won't be all that.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I understand the risk/award aspect of starting a business. Also I have figured out that I should be able to live off my saved stash forever allowing me to pick and choose if I want to work or not.
The point is UPS is able to provide a salary for someone wanting to retire early. All and all anyone can retire with well over a million.

This is the book that started it all for me.
The Millionaire Next Door: Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: 9780671015206: Amazon.com: Books

You probably need to first understand that is a risk/reward philosophy...unless there is a trophy or ribbon involved.
You are completely Full of *****....

UPS is just one of my major sources of income before being a driver I had a steady full time job and worked local sort, pre-load, drove Saturdays, etc.
You'll be eating beans and rice the rest of your life.

That's not true... so far this year I have been to the beach, NYC, colorado, and costa rica... I live far better than most Americans despite living on my current wage.

It takes a bit of work on how to invest your money and the will to save... You can live a fabulous life very inexpensively.
My dream is to no longer be a slave to the dollar running on a hamster wheel buying complete useless materialistic objects.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
UPS is just one of my major sources of income before being a driver I had a steady full time job and worked local sort, pre-load, drove Saturdays, etc.

That's not true... so far this year I have been to the beach, NYC, colorado, and costa rica... I live far better than most Americans despite living on my current wage.

It takes a bit of work on how to invest your money and the will to save... You can live a fabulous life very inexpensively.
My dream is to no longer be a slave to the dollar running on a hamster wheel buying complete useless materialistic objects.

When I was an 8-year PTer, I frequently worked about 100-hours each week (30-35 at UPS, including a pair of doubles, 40 at a FT job, 20-30 at a minimum wage grocery store) and earned about $50,000 -- before figuring in gas and other work-related expenses. You didn't match the wage I did, nor did you work the hours I did, so I call exaggeration on your end.

But I do agree you can live a fabulous life frugally, which is what I currently do. But for travel, it involves things like traveling to Mexico/Caribbean during hurricane season (frequent rain, although big savings make it worth it) or - for somebody living in the Midwest - taking Greyhound to Chicago, staying near O'Hare for a cheap room and taking the L train throughout town. Both excellent vacations, but neither will save you $$$$ to be a millionaire by 40.

ocnewguy

you're here for ~75 years give or take then you die and none of it matters. why eat beans and rice the whole damn time? you can find a balance without going overboard on the whole spartan lifestyle thing.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
you're here for ~75 years give or take then you die and none of it matters. why eat beans and rice the whole damn time? you can find a balance without going overboard on the whole spartan lifestyle thing.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this topic.

Spend less, enjoy life more ->
- You can prepare a large Chicken fajita for less than $2 for dinner vs. eating more caloric Roman Noodles for a dime.
- In the Midwest, you can take Greyhound to (for example) Chicago for ~RT$25, stay in a 4* hotel near O'Hare for $50/night through Priceline, and utilize the transit system for $5-$7 a day via unlimited tourist passes.
- Visit chain restaurants, using coupons, discounted gift cards, etc.; take advantage of their rewards program if they have one, and split meals when appropriate. You'll find that two can eat a whole days worth of calories at places like Outback for $5 a person.

Pick luxuries that are important to you ->
Having the latest iPhone with enough data to steam the latest episode of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo may be incredibly important for one person; paying $90 a month to workout at LifeTime Fitness may important to another. You don't have to go with MetroPCS or Planet Fitness just because it's the cheapest. Pick your luxuries!

You could pass away this evening, then nothing else will matter...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this topic.

Spend less, enjoy life more ->
- You can prepare a large Chicken fajita for less than $2 for dinner vs. eating more caloric Roman Noodles for a dime.
- In the Midwest, you can take Greyhound to (for example) Chicago for ~RT$25, stay in a 4* hotel near O'Hare for $50/night through Priceline, and utilize the transit system for $5-$7 a day via unlimited tourist passes.
- Visit chain restaurants, using coupons, discounted gift cards, etc.; take advantage of their rewards program if they have one, and split meals when appropriate. You'll find that two can eat a whole days worth of calories at places like Outback for $5 a person.

Pick luxuries that are important to you ->
Having the latest iPhone with enough data to steam the latest episode of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo may be incredibly important for one person; paying $90 a month to workout at LifeTime Fitness may important to another. You don't have to go with MetroPCS or Planet Fitness just because it's the cheapest. Pick your luxuries!

You could pass away this evening, then nothing else will matter...

No offense but I wouldn't wish greyhound on my worst enemy. Nothing but drunk homeless people. At least try mega bus. That's usually just a bunch of college kids.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
No offense but I wouldn't wish greyhound on my worst enemy. Nothing but drunk homeless people. At least try mega bus. That's usually just a bunch of college kids.

I usually do take MegaBus, but I frequently travel Greyhound to Toronto. They offer MegaBus-type fares to Toronto -- we've scored several weekend trips for RT$2 -- and while it's most definitely Greyhound-type clientele, it really doesn't bother me. And Greyhound ridership has picked up from the Midwest to places like Chicago in the past several years, as one-way airfares have climbed from $25-$39 to $100 or more (not including tax/fees).

You haven't lived until you've visited a Greyhound station and watched two people willing to kill each other -- literally -- over a $1 bag of pork rinds.

quamba 638

Hello
I have been working at UPS for 8 years and have been saving/investing by saving 70-80% of my income. I do whatever I can to work 60hrs a week and do part time job on the weekend.) I was highly influenced by Mr. Money mustache and his blog on how to retire by age 30. I won't be able to retire by 30, but my goal is to retire from UPS by age 35-40....
I hope others can follow this same path to financial freedom.

key points -
sold car (ride bike to work)
buy food in bulk
canceled TV cable
canceled gym membership (bike instead)
no longer eat out
quit drinking alcohol, coffee
I try fixing problems instead of hiring someone

I have found that living frugal lifestyle has made me more at peace, less stressed, and allows me to be more creative.

I've worked at UPS nine years, along with a FT day job. I don't really have any of the "key points" you've listed as expenses. I put 10 percent into my 401k and get matched at 5 percent. Currently my Principal trust target 2050 fund is +21.47 percent on the year. Yet I have nowhere near what you claim to have saved. And I'll retire around 60. What are you going to do at 40? You'll be bored out of your mind the rest of your life. I plan on taking vacations, you know, in a personal vehicle or plane. Are you gonna get some pegs on that bike for the old lady?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I've worked at UPS nine years, along with a FT day job. I don't really have any of the "key points" you've listed as expenses. I put 10 percent into my 401k and get matched at 5 percent. Currently my Principal trust target 2050 fund is +21.47 percent on the year. Yet I have nowhere near what you claim to have saved. And I'll retire around 60. What are you going to do at 40? You'll be bored out of your mind the rest of your life. I plan on taking vacations, you know, in a personal vehicle or plane. Are you gonna get some pegs on that bike for the old lady?
paulblart.jpg
paulblart.jpg

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hello
I have been working at UPS for 8 years and have been saving/investing by saving 70-80% of my income. I do whatever I can to work 60hrs a week and do part time job on the weekend.) I was highly influenced by Mr. Money mustache and his blog on how to retire by age 30. I won't be able to retire by 30, but my goal is to retire from UPS by age 35-40....
I hope others can follow this same path to financial freedom.

key points -
sold car (ride bike to work)
buy food in bulk
canceled TV cable
canceled gym membership (bike instead)
no longer eat out
quit drinking alcohol, coffee
I try fixing problems instead of hiring someone

I have found that living frugal lifestyle has made me more at peace, less stressed, and allows me to be more creative.

Once you retire I recommend moving to Mexico, buy a few Cabs down in BAJA & you'll be set for good.