I'm LOVING that dividend!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It was great getting that Dividend Notification! ( I roll mine into more shares)
The amount has gone up .05 a share every year since 2010,and it's great seeing the retirement nest egg grow and grow. Here's to hoping the Per Share keeps going up!

Overpaid Union Thug

Re-invest it. You might get to that 10th share eventually.

I actually just chose that option a few minutes ago. I'm seriously considering selling my stock though. But I'm also considering contributing every cent of our raise (once we get it) towards stock instead of raising my Roth contribution. Oh decisions....decisions.....

A

anonymous6

couldn't agree more!
$150 a week stock deduction
3.5% deduction into teamster/UPS 401k
$100 a week into a ROTH IRA

ups stock is not that good an investment. AT&T yield is almost 6%. you would be much better off upping your 401 investment. I save 15% on my taxes on 20k investment every year. that is like earning 15%.

my phone is free because of yields from at and t. my cable is free because of yields from cable stock. my gas is free because of yields fom exxon stock and so on.

max out your retirements if possible. if you can't on a FT job, most likely you need to look at your expenses and cut back on unnecessary "necessaries". check out the Dame Ramsey book "Total Money Makeover" or his website. I have followed his advice. this year I expect to have over a mil in total assets in just 15 years.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Have sons that choose not to go to college, not daughters that, not only go to college's, but all marry every two years apart. That is the key to sound retirement.

A

anonymous6

UPS average div yield over 5 years is 3%. fair. not great. I only have less than 1% of my portfolio in UPS stock. 60% I have in stocks is mostly S&P 500. some in Blue chips. about 30% Cash and the rest in real estate. no one , even the experts can not pick stock winners consistently. John Bogle, the guy who started and managed the worlds 2nd largest mutual fund co. preached INDEX funds, INDEX funds , INDEX funds ! and he's absolutely right. put your money in Vanguard S and P 500 Index fund ( very low expense ratio, almost free) and watch the power of compound interest work it's magic.

you can also use Index funds for International companies, gold and precious metals and other sectors.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Have sons that choose not to go to college, not daughters that, not only go to college's, but all marry every two years apart. That is the key to sound retirement.

Or let your kid pay for their college. Rule #1 pay yourself first. Invest in your future. Or simply tell your kid if they want school paid for it will include 2 years of juco and an in state school.

Overpaid Union Thug

ups stock is not that good an investment. AT&T yield is almost 6%. you would be much better off upping your 401 investment. I save 15% on my taxes on 20k investment every year. that is like earning 15%.

my phone is free because of yields from at and t. my cable is free because of yields from cable stock. my gas is free because of yields fom exxon stock and so on.

max out your retirements if possible. if you can't on a FT job, most likely you need to look at your expenses and cut back on unnecessary "necessaries". check out the Dame Ramsey book "Total Money Makeover" or his website. I have followed his advice. this year I expect to have over a mil in total assets in just 15 years.

There have been a few members on this board that have insinuated that Dave Ramsey's advice is poor advice. One even suggested that taking on more high risk debt as a way to make money to pay off their debt is better than following Ramsey's Baby Step Program to get out of debt. And people wonder why the average American is in such financial distress.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There have been a few members on this board that have insinuated that Dave Ramsey's advice is poor advice. One even suggested that taking on more high risk debt as a way to make money to pay off their debt is better than following Ramsey's Baby Step Program to get out of debt. And people wonder why the average American is in such financial distress.

There is certainly much worse advice out there but Dave Ramsey isn't perfect. The problem lies in when u actually need a loan and you have lived debt free forever. I prefer to mix a little dad Ramsey with a little Clark Howard.

Explaining compounding interest to the wife last night was very frustrating. I explained how if everything follows historical averages we should have 5-7 million in retirement accounts when we retire. Her reply that's it? God love her she will likely work forever because she wouldn't feel comfortable until we win powerball. Lol

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
There is certainly much worse advice out there but Dave Ramsey isn't perfect. The problem lies in when u actually need a loan and you have lived debt free forever. I prefer to mix a little dad Ramsey with a little Clark Howard.

Explaining compounding interest to the wife last night was very frustrating. I explained how if everything follows historical averages we should have 5-7 million in retirement accounts when we retire. Her reply that's it? God love her she will likely work forever because she wouldn't feel comfortable until we win powerball. Lol

I lean much more with Clark Howard's philosophies as well. With the exception of the house payment(which will be paid in full in 2015) we have ZERO debt. We are paying our son's way thru college and that will also end in 2015( dorm,tuition,fees and parking are around $8,000 a semester. This is for an IN STATE school) .He has never given us trouble,maintains a high GPA , and I want to keep his focus on studies and not worry about debt. I will consider it an excellent personal accomplishment to put him thru school with no debt at all.in 2015 with funds being freed up I plan on maxing my and my wife's 401k's as well as stock deductions at that time.