I'm new to fedex

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not dependent on a FedEx pension, nor do I really care about topping out in pay, though it would be nice. But I do know the workload of fulltime staff and that's why I work part time. I don't like getting up very early in the morning and dont want to do this 40 hours a week. Fulltime or not, UPS drivers work much, much harder than we do. Maybe that's why I don't think it's so hard.

The UPS vs. FedEx workload has been argued ad nauseum here before, so I won't get very far into it. If my route covers the same area as 4 or 5 UPS package car drivers, plus I have on-calls to deal with rather than every day house stops where they drive from one parking lot to the next, who is working harder? I drive 160 miles, and they drive maybe 20.

The bottom line is that we are severely underpaid for what we do. A topped-out UPS driver is making over twice what you do in wages, and when you calculate-in benefits and pension, that chasm grows larger.

It will be fine

The UPS vs. FedEx workload has been argued ad nauseum here before, so I won't get very far into it. If my route covers the same area as 4 or 5 UPS package car drivers, plus I have on-calls to deal with rather than every day house stops where they drive from one parking lot to the next, who is working harder? I drive 160 miles, and they drive maybe 20.

The bottom line is that we are severely underpaid for what we do. A topped-out UPS driver is making over twice what you do in wages, and when you calculate-in benefits and pension, that chasm grows larger.
Considering driving is the physically easiest part of the job it sounds like you're arguing they work harder. Which they do. Less time driving means more time moving freight. I doubt someone would argue that tractor drivers work harder than van drivers because they cover more miles. It might be more mentally taxing but not harder work.
You're paid above average for the transportation industry as a whole. Ups is an outlier, way out on the bell curve.

vantexan

I'm not dependent on a FedEx pension, nor do I really care about topping out in pay, though it would be nice. But I do know the workload of fulltime staff and that's why I work part time. I don't like getting up very early in the morning and dont want to do this 40 hours a week. Fulltime or not, UPS drivers work much, much harder than we do. Maybe that's why I don't think it's so hard.
I mentioned we old timers because used to be before there was Ground we drove big stepvans bulked out with boxes. We also ran sorts every morning with all that extra bulk. UPS drivers don't run sorts. And we deal with time commitments that back then with all the bulk made us really have to hustle. As a newhire you just don't know what we went through. Yeah, it's easier now, but also remember UPS compensates their drivers very well, we just got a pack of lies. And while you may be set up well, the 15 year employee who's trying to take care of his family and now realizes he'll never be able to provide well for them, and has spent his most productive years being lied too, cares very much about topping out and is POed because FedEx has no intention to top him out. Do you now see where people here are coming from?

Goldilocks

Considering driving is the physically easiest part of the job it sounds like you're arguing they work harder. Which they do. Less time driving means more time moving freight. I doubt someone would argue that tractor drivers work harder than van drivers because they cover more miles. It might be more mentally taxing but not harder work.
You're paid above average for the transportation industry as a whole. Ups is an outlier, way out on the bell curve.

Sitting on the edge of my seat right now. Cant wait for MrFedex to reply. I have words but will wait patiently. lol

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The UPS driver generally has more physical wear and tear, and that's because (most of the time) their stops are much closer together. A UPS route is typically far more dense than a FedEx route. That said, however, how do you qualify "mentally taxing" as not being harder work? Believe me, there are plenty of times I wish my next stop was a parking lot away rather than 10-12 blocks away in rush hour traffic. It's incredibly stressful most of the time.

As far as pay, we are very underpaid, especially if you consider our glacial pay progression and really poor benefits. Retirement? Ours is a joke, and not really a pension plan at all.

I would argue that FedEx is the outlier, not UPS.

It will be fine

That said, however, how do you qualify "mentally taxing" as not being harder work? Believe me, there are plenty of times I wish my next stop was a parking lot away rather than 10-12 blocks away in rush hour traffic. It's incredibly stressful most of the time.

I would argue that FedEx is the outlier, not UPS.

I thought your motto was "slow down" don't see why traffic would be stressful then. If you're late who cares? I don't consider more mental stress harder work. I take a lot more stress than my drivers and don't for a second think I work harder than they do.

You can argue fedex is the outlier but the bureau of labor statistics says otherwise. Light truck delivery driver, median wage $14/hr, mean $16/hr, mean annual $33k. So yes a top rate UPS driver making $33/hr or whatever it is, is clearly an outlier.

vantexan

I thought your motto was "slow down" don't see why traffic would be stressful then. If you're late who cares? I don't consider more mental stress harder work. I take a lot more stress than my drivers and don't for a second think I work harder than they do.

You can argue fedex is the outlier but the bureau of labor statistics says otherwise. Light truck delivery driver, median wage $14/hr, mean $16/hr, mean annual $33k. So yes a top rate UPS driver making $33/hr or whatever it is, is clearly an outlier.
So you're comparing what we do with the auto parts store delivery driver or some such? Stick to Ground, you don't have a clue.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Our job is very similar to that of UPS, not a "light truck driver", which could be almost anything. FedEx is a very stressful job, even if you practice WAD religiously. You sound like a Ground ISP, so whatever you're trying to prove here is tainted by your attempt to justify the low pay provided to your tattooed parolee child molesters/drivers.

Obviously, you don't see the similarities between UPS package car driver and FedEx courier because you're just someone who exploits "light truck drivers" for the equivalent of $12 per hour. As I've said repeatedly, the jobs are analogous. The Ground clown job is not even in the same league, so your "logic" is fatally flawed.

Keep trying.

It will be fine

Our job is very similar to that of UPS, not a "light truck driver", which could be almost anything. FedEx is a very stressful job, even if you practice WAD religiously. You sound like a Ground ISP, so whatever you're trying to prove here is tainted by your attempt to justify the low pay provided to your tattooed parolee child molesters/drivers.

Obviously, you don't see the similarities between UPS package car driver and FedEx courier because you're just someone who exploits "light truck drivers" for the equivalent of $12 per hour. As I've said repeatedly, the jobs are analogous. The Ground clown job is not even in the same league, so your "logic" is fatally flawed.

Keep trying.
Classic MFE, weak argument means resort to name calling. The jobs are similar. The pay is not. FedEx is slightly above average for the work class. UPS is at the top of the range. UPS drivers are far more productive than the average express driver. And come on "sitting in traffic is stressful" what a joke. Firefighters have a stressful job, you deliver boxes.

overflowed

Classic MFE, weak argument means resort to name calling. The jobs are similar. The pay is not. FedEx is slightly above average for the work class. UPS is at the top of the range. UPS drivers are far more productive than the average express driver. And come on "sitting in traffic is stressful" what a joke. Firefighters have a stressful job, you deliver boxes.
What is a classic MFE? You've been on here all of a few months. Why is a ground contractor even arguing this? So, who are you really?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You obviously have never done the job. Ferreting-out tools is pretty easy to do.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Walk a mile in a man's mocassins before criticizing what he does. That way, when you're ready to criticize, you'll be an entire mile away from the guy..... and you'll have acquired yourself a pair of mocassins.

Last edited:

It will be fine

You obviously have never done the job. Ferreting-out tools is pretty easy to do.
More name calling, no wonder your arguments have not been persuasive with management or other drivers. I think I could handle the rigors of the job that is so complex that it takes a whole 3 days of training to accomplish.
I'm debating with you because your arguments are weak. If you want to convince people that drivers are paid below industry standard you'll need more than "sitting in traffic is hard work" and "shut up you hire child molesters." You are a light truck delivery driver, your pay reflects that, not sure what you don't understand. There is no magic skill fedex and ups drivers have that makes them a different class of worker. An auto parts delivery guy could take your 3 day class and do your job reasonably well. It's just not that hard.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
More name calling, no wonder your arguments have not been persuasive with management or other drivers. I think I could handle the rigors of the job that is so complex that it takes a whole 3 days of training to accomplish.
I'm debating with you because your arguments are weak. If you want to convince people that drivers are paid below industry standard you'll need more than "sitting in traffic is hard work" and "shut up you hire child molesters." You are a light truck delivery driver, your pay reflects that, not sure what you don't understand. There is no magic skill fedex and ups drivers have that makes them a different class of worker. An auto parts delivery guy could take your 3 day class and do your job reasonably well. It's just not that hard.

You've never done the job, so you don't have a clue, and you think you can make legitimate commentary?

Uh...no.

vantexan

An auto parts delivery guy could take your 3 day class and do your job reasonably well. It's just not that hard.

Gee, I wonder how high employee I.D. numbers are now? We've had close to a million employees come and go. Most think like you do and are surprised at the all day moving, the constant humping, the working in all weather conditions, the irate customers, the traffic, the managers, the coworkers, etc. They think they're going to make big money to walk a letter into an office. Didn't know about the industrial aspect of running a sort. Didn't know how little free time they'd have in December. Didn't know about all the rules, regulations, and hoops to jump through. Anyone can be hired off the street and more and more just about anyone is. But it takes character to stick with it and do it right. I'm just looking forward to the day that more are leaving than they can find willing to put up with everything for as little pay as possible.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So you're comparing what we do with the auto parts store delivery driver or some such? Stick to Ground, you don't have a clue.

Numbnuts IWBF has never experienced the thrill of being expected to do 15 SPH, a pile of DG or International, or actually driving for a living.

To him, UPS and FedEx jobs are analogous to delivering pizzas for Domino's.