I'm newer to ups any tips

8rogan

So basically, I've been at ups for 6 months almost. I became friends with a pt sup, so I have someone kind of looking out for me in a way. For example, when I started I would come in 20 minutes early to make postal bags thinking I was getting paid and my sup told me that's awesome and if I could keep doing that it would be great and thinking I was getting more time for that, I was all for it until I found out you don't get paid until the start time. Then I knew about the guaranteed 3 and a half hours a day, but was never told that's if you're told to go home not asked. So is there anything else I should look out for while working here? Thanks, I've noticed management can be tricky

upschuck

If your sup asked you to do that, and you didn't get paid, a grievance would of been in order. Too late now, I guess. Keep track of your time.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
PT sups are not your friends and will toss you under the bus when push comes to shove....to save their own necks.
Write your hours down daily. If you are asked to come in early....you should be paid for your time. If they tell you that you will not be paid until start time...don't start working until then....we don't work for free.

rod

Retired 22 years
Stay under the radar until you figure out what's going on and have studied the contract----then chose your battles wisely and give em hell.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Keep your head down, do your job to the best of your ability, and don't work for free.

You follow that and you'll be fine.

nystripe96

No sup is your friend. You can laugh & joke with them, but by no means are they your friend. A respectful working relationship is all that it should be. The only friends you truly have are your teamster brothers. Make your shop steward/s your best friends. You need them a lot more than your sup needs you

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No sup is your friend. You can laugh & joke with them, but by no means are they your friend. A respectful working relationship is all that it should be. The only friends you truly have are your teamster brothers. Make your shop steward/s your best friends. You need them a lot more than your sup needs you

Do the job the way that you were trained and you won't need your shop steward.

It is possible to be friends with your supervisors and maintain a respectful working relationship.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Do the job the way that you were trained and you won't need your shop steward.

It is possible to be friends with your supervisors and maintain a respectful working relationship.
Tell that to the guys being disciplined for not doing ORION and the next guys in the office get it for service failures. How's that sending a message of "Doing it the way you're trained"

S

selfcancelsignal

Not in my case. I will never get screwed. Life's too short to work hard and get screwed. I work hard and get rewarded, simple.
Not at UPS, you don't. Unless you consider wanting more work & OT a reward. For some it is. $$$. Your body won't be thanking you, that's for sure.