I'm not a fan of telematics but...

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
Let me start by saying i have been with ups for the last 34 years and will be out before this contract runs out.
i didn't like it when i.e. came in and looped about half my route away and a really didn't like the intrusion of telematics.
i say didn't because about a month ago i was accused of backing into a parked car, which i didn't of course and didn't know about the accusation until i got a call from my center manager
no one witness this alleged accident but the knucklehead was sure i had backed into his suv
turns out telematics had no report of me backing at the time he said it happened
case closed..

barnyard

KTM rider
Re: I'm not a fan of telmatics but...

We had an intersection crash that was ruled unavoidable because of telematics.

According to the driver, telematics showed him going slower than he remembered and hitting the brakes sooner than he remembered.

porkwagon

Let me start by saying i have been with ups for the last 34 years and will be out before this contract runs out.
i didn't like it when i.e. came in and looped about half my route away and a really didn't like the intrusion of telematics.
i say didn't because about a month ago i was accused of backing into a parked car, which i didn't of course and didn't know about the accusation until i got a call from my center manager
no one witness this alleged accident but the knucklehead was sure i had backed into his suv
turns out telematics had no report of me backing at the time he said it happened
case closed..
That's about all it's good for. My center has had telematics since 08, I think, or shortly after it was first rolled out. I hated it at first because of what you said about the intrusion. Always looking at the report and what not. Now I almost forgot we're on it. Never think about it anymore. center manager always gives the center's backing stats each PCM.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

I save 30% from progressive for allowing them to monitor my hard brakes and hours of the day I drive. Thankfully I have very few hard brakes and I drive during low risk hours to and from work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I never minded the intrusion because I never had an expectation of privacy in the first place.

What got old real fast was the reams and reams of paper reports that got spewed out every day with Google Earth satellite photos that showed the exact location where my bulkhead door might have popped open between two stops.

What got old real fast was some idiot behind a desk who had never even been on my route telling me that I was backing too many times.

Once they got bored with their new toy, the paper reports stopped spewing out and they quit whining about me exceeding my imaginary quota of backs, and life returned to normal.

There have been several instances where I was grateful that Telematics was in use. Twice I was accused of hitting a fixed object or backing up onto someone's lawn, and on both occasions Telematics proved that I was nowhere near the fixed object and never backed up at the stop with the damaged lawn.

Also...I deliver on steep and winding mountain roads with no guardrails. In the winter its icy and raining and snowy and foggy. Its comforting to me to know that if I ever went off the road and down into some ravine in the middle of nowhere and was injured or trapped in the package car, they could use Telematics to locate me.

Indecisi0n

Women said she saw me back into her car. Like above the center manager said "listen you know we are pulling your telematics right now. Tell me the truth what happened?" I said I never backed. Report backed up what I said, no payment case closed.

soberups

The only people I have seen get terminated using Telematics data are people who had it coming. They were dirty, they were lying, and they got caught. If you are honest and do the job the way you are supposed to, Telematics really is a non-issue.

S

serenity now

Women said she saw me back into her car. Like above the center manager said "listen you know we are pulling your telematics right now. Tell me the truth what happened?" I said I never backed. Report backed up what I said, no payment case closed.

perhaps a better choice of wording next time :wink2:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Also...I deliver on steep and winding mountain roads with no guardrails. In the winter its icy and raining and snowy and foggy. Its comforting to me to know that if I ever went off the road and down into some ravine in the middle of nowhere and was injured or trapped in the package car, they could use Telematics to locate me.

If you had enough picked-up packages for them to care on board or air that had to get to the airport on time.:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you had enough picked-up packages for them to care on board or air that had to get to the airport on time.:wink2:

This is probably not an issue:

BD9BD3AD-9CFB-4DEC-A6EA-6F7AA67A92D3-893-000000E815B5D986_zps16c53e2a.jpg

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
^^Some kind of custom mount. Mine are all balled up on the floor in front of the spare (which lies flat on the floor behind the bulkhead on the driver's side).

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
^^Some kind of custom mount. Mine are all balled up on the floor in front of the spare (which lies flat on the floor behind the bulkhead on the driver's side).

I dont know what those chains are for either and why the heck do you have a spare?!?!?! I Love sitting getting paid waiting on road calls.

barnyard

KTM rider
The chains are tire chains. I have a set in the truck for the route I am covering. Chained up twice on Thursday to get off some steep, icy lake roads.

soberups

I dont know what those chains are for either and why the heck do you have a spare?!?!?! I Love sitting getting paid waiting on road calls.

I dont have a spare tire in my car, to my knowledge none of the cars in our building carry them.