I'm sick and tired of you Drivers

UPSGUY72

If some desk jockey in Atlanta that doesn't know what really happens on any given day in a UPS package facility didn't make up unreasonable numbers to meet you PT SUPs wouldn't have to steal money from use because they would hire enough union brothers and sister to get the job done.

tieguy

Banned
If some desk jockey in Atlanta that doesn't know what really happens on any given day in a UPS package facility didn't make up unreasonable numbers to meet you PT SUPs wouldn't have to steal money from use because they would hire enough union brothers and sister to get the job done.

there was a divison manager who is now retired who was looking for a 360 outbound load rate. The part time sups all thought it was impossible to achieve. So he went into a trailer and had one them time him while others watched. 360 equals 6 packages a minute. So he checked, scanned and loaded six packages in the first twenty seconds. he then laid down on the floor and did a snowman for the next 40 seconds at which point he got back up and loaded six more packages and then repeated his snowman. The sups quickly got the message.

your point is nothing new. employers will always demand improvement and employee's will always say it cant be done.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The biggest problem is that UPS sends all the preloaders home when the drivers start. They then realize that the driver needs help loading the 50 packages that were stacked off for that bulk stop.

Supervisors do not belong helping that driver. A few packages left behind the package car can be loaded by the driver, but if there is a bulk stop still to load, keep the preloader on the clock to help the driver load the car so that he can get out of the building at a reasonable time.

You, as a Supervisor, should not be helping that driver. You should do your job, make a management decision, and retain a few preloaders to help the drivers.

Mug

UPSGUY72

there was a divison manager who is now retired who was looking for a 360 outbound load rate. The part time sups all thought it was impossible to achieve. So he went into a trailer and had one them time him while others watched. 360 equals 6 packages a minute. So he checked, scanned and loaded six packages in the first twenty seconds. he then laid down on the floor and did a snowman for the next 40 seconds at which point he got back up and loaded six more packages and then repeated his snowman. The sups quickly got the message.

your point is nothing new. employers will always demand improvement and employee's will always say it cant be done.

Your point is noted. He should have tried it for 4 hours instead of 2 minutes in a empty package car. My four 4 year daughter could keep up that pace for 2 minutes with the right size boxes.

You just comfirm my thought on the whole situation. The desk jockeys come up where there number using a Static environment model (perfect world scenario)in reality we work in a dynamic environment where things change all the time.

If the number they came up with were achievable then PT SUPs would have to touch a package.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The biggest problem is that UPS sends all the preloaders home when the drivers start. They then realize that the driver needs help loading the 50 packages that were stacked off for that bulk stop.

Supervisors do not belong helping that driver. A few packages left behind the package car can be loaded by the driver, but if there is a bulk stop still to load, keep the preloader on the clock to help the driver load the car so that he can get out of the building at a reasonable time.

You, as a Supervisor, should not be helping that driver. You should do your job, make a management decision, and retain a few preloaders to help the drivers.

Mug

I personally think most of these part time sups are very savy in what it takes to run their operations efficiently...remember,they don't have that old school attitude that most of the old farts had drilled into them. The problem is coming from the manager and higher folks who never seem to have the customersa best interest in mind...its always folks in ops who have this attitude...not feeder not bd...not tech...not the drivers...sad hope this changes in time before its too late

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your point is noted. He should have tried it for 4 hours instead of 2 minutes in a empty package car. My four 4 year daughter could keep up that pace for 2 minutes with the right size boxes.

You just comfirm my thought on the whole situation. The desk jockeys come up where there number using a Static environment model (perfect world scenario)in reality we work in a dynamic environment where things change all the time.

If the number they came up with were achievable then PT SUPs would have to touch a package.

I think Tie's example perfectly illustrates the conflicts between Employer and Employee in a Union shop in regard to production. 360 pkgs scanned, checked and loaded in a trailer in 1 hour translates in to a steady work pace in my book and with experience is a number that could be easily improved upon.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
In a way I don't blame him. The tone has definitely changed here and it is not as much fun as it used to be.

You definitely have to elaborate on that one! What do you feel has changed? Is it just starting to get "same ol', same ol'", or is it changing for the worse?

Even the title of this thread is rude: ...Sick and Tired of You Drivers. Similar to the hostility present in our building, some of the stuff discussed in the overmanagement thread. I'm starting to believe the Board thinks UPS will be more profitable if it's us (hourlies) against them (management, even at the higher levels).

JonFrum

Did Snow Angel get splinters?

Was your grandstanding DM one of the originators of the Voodoo Time Studies that purport to measure work units but focuses only on the easily measureable stuff and ignores all the rest?

Trailer loaders don't just scan and load packages. They "loose" lots of time doing all the other "incidentals" like: attending a PCM, setting up the conveyor or rollers, sweeping the trailer, waiting for the packages to arrive at the start of the shift, breaking conveyor jams, picking packages up off the floor that fell and putting them back on the rollers, repeatedly waiting for the belts to restart, taking a 10 minute break, taking a seperate bathroom break, getting drinks of water to stay hydrated, being told to float into another trailer to help out someone else while their trailer is left to deteriate, waiting for the flow to start after a break, waiting for the first loaded trailer to be pulled off door and an empty replacement put on, loading bulk, experiencing the flow slow to a trickle at the end of the shift, wrapping up the area and sealing the trailer, walking to the time clock, being talked to by a supervisor about missorts or safety or methods or even about the new hire babe that has a body on her that would make a bishop kick out a stained glass window. :surprised:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think Tie's example perfectly illustrates the conflicts between Employer and Employee in a Union shop in regard to production. 360 pkgs scanned, checked and loaded in a trailer in 1 hour translates in to a steady work pace in my book and with experience is a number that could be easily improved upon.
Your example is the perfect illustration, as well. You never worked the preload/reload, yet here you are stating your opinion. The fact that you're only in the union because you have to be, is showing in your bias.

softshoe

When are you going to summit the letter, put on the tie, and cross the line?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When are you going to summit the letter, put on the tie, and cross the line?

I suppose I'll climb that "summit" in due time.

Steve is right, I have never worked the preload/reload, but we are talking about checking, scanning and loading one package every ten seconds. I would consider this to be a steady work pace and one that most employees improve upon with experience.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Awful post in reality. However, who's talkin' about reality? :D

JonFrum

I suppose I'll climb that "summit" in due time.

Steve is right, I have never worked the preload/reload, but we are talking about checking, scanning and loading one package every ten seconds. I would consider this to be a steady work pace and one that most employees improve upon with experience.
How do you explain: The part time sups all thought it was impossible to achieve.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'm sick and tired of sups stealing money from their employees. It's not their work to do. If you want to get drivers out on time hire more workers and lay off more supps. We clearly have too many sups if they have enough time to do hourly work and not their own jobs.

Amen on that one. I see soups touching packages all the time, such as loaders and often as chargers. Its BS, and the unioned guys as chargers dont even say anything, yet I believe that dont know any better or cant read books.

The reason why is the drivers see it as you taking money from regular workers, thats all. Drivers could careless about you touching packages. They do it because it isnt right for you to do so.

jalnar

I'm part-time sup, but I must say you drivers that are yelling at us about touching packages MAKES ME SICK! All were doing is trying to get you out on the road faster. I don't understand what the big deal is. I know if I was a driver I could give 2 hoots what boxes sups touch. I don't care if its in the contract or not you are just delaying your start time by not allowing us to help out. Stop being so ignorant and just worry about your deliveries instead of trying to sit around waiting for us to touch boxes. GET A LIFE!
your job is to supervise if you want to touch boxes get an union card. If the company keeps enough people on payroll you would not have to touch a BOX

jalnar

Were Supervisors... We make sure things are running smoothly and safe.. if someone needs a little help for a minute were glad to step in and help them out so YOU GUYS can get home to your family's faster. If you guys are going to argue about us touching packages.. then STEP up and take over the area that needs a little more help. Don't just say something then run away and sign grievances.. Help out then.... wouldn't that be logic?
Lets layoff supervisors and hire more hourly workers. a supervisor is an individual who CAN NOT handle the physical and all other aspects of work.The only reason you would go into management is because you cant handle it,and if it came to a street fight you would cry and run away

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Lets layoff supervisors and hire more hourly workers. a supervisor is an individual who CAN NOT handle the physical and all other aspects of work.The only reason you would go into management is because you cant handle it,and if it came to a street fight you would cry and run away

That a guy you tell em. I need you on my shift to tell all the moe moes ( philly venaculaar for my guys) to stay and work and not go home.

But if we layoff supervisors who will make sure things are running smoothly and safe????