I'm so sick of the Harassment and take away's

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The "O" word? Surely you jest! With the likes of MRFDX leading the way, the probability of organization en masse is about as likely as a populist democratic president! Laughing my statuesque posterior off! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Dude, I'm not your Fearless Leader, nor do I want to be. I'm fully aware of the situation, and have repeatedly stated that organization is off the table unless the IBT steps-in or the RLA is gone. Neither is likely to happen anytime soon, so get off my ass.

El Morado Diablo

They can OLCC me daily and twice on Friday if they want. Means little to nothing.

As for his reasoning, he's right. It used to be that you focused on the problem employees in these situations. Someone cried, filed a lawsuit, and now they have to do these things uniformly, to a fault.

Perhaps this wouldn't be necessary if management focused their efforts on employees whose actions were truly worthy of something that would hold up in a court of law in FedEx's favor.

Purplepackage

Perhaps this wouldn't be necessary if management focused their efforts on employees whose actions were truly worthy of something that would hold up in a court of law in FedEx's favor.

For years this company has held on to :censored2: employees and now everyone pays the price. Instead of firing people who truly suck, they sweep them under the carpet and give them jobs they can't possibly mess up. ( case and point a 26 year employee who comes in and unloads in the morning and comes back at night to unload trucks and park them. Guy has just been gettin guaranteed pay for years)

El Morado Diablo

We constantly have to listen to our manager(s) beat a dead horse on various topics because a couple of people aren't doing things the right way. It would be so much easier if they just spoke to the employees on an individual basis so the rest of us wouldn't have to listen to it. Heck, they might even try coaching them up. I know it's a novel concept but it's worth a try.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We constantly have to listen to our manager(s) beat a dead horse on various topics because a couple of people aren't doing things the right way. It would be so much easier if they just spoke to the employees on an individual basis so the rest of us wouldn't have to listen to it. Heck, they might even try coaching them up. I know it's a novel concept but it's worth a try.

The sad fact of that is that those are the employees who would file a complaint for harassment. Lose-lose for management and the rest of us.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We constantly have to listen to our manager(s) beat a dead horse on various topics because a couple of people aren't doing things the right way. It would be so much easier if they just spoke to the employees on an individual basis so the rest of us wouldn't have to listen to it.

Jim's manager has noted Jim's poor performance (service failures and failure to make goal) and has addressed it on an individual basis. His coworker Bob didn't make goal and had service failures. He asks Bob if he got the same treatment, and Bob says he didn't. "WHY ARE THEY SINGLING ME OUT AND PICKING ON ME?" says Jim.

Heck, they might even try coaching them up. I know it's a novel concept but it's worth a try.

"YOU DON'T MAKE BOB DO THIS!!" You can explain until you're blue in the face why their situations are different but all Jim sees is that their situations are similar but they were handled differently. Nothing will change his perception and he'll be screaming about favoritism until the cows come home.

It's easier to do it with newer employees because they know they are in the learning process.

Consistent poor performance will always hold up. They are seeking to avoid the cost of litigation. That has kept them from spending lots of money to fight termination-related lawsuits. The unfortunate side effect of that is they are retaining employees who need to do something else for a living.

El Morado Diablo

Consistent poor performance will always hold up. They are seeking to avoid the cost of litigation. That has kept them from spending lots of money to fight termination-related lawsuits. The unfortunate side effect of that is they are retaining employees who need to do something else for a living.

I've agreed with you before that every company has employees who should be let go. The question is, by what criteria does the company measure poor performance to the point they're willing to terminate an employee and risk a lawsuit? I'm not talking about the kind of stuff that will get you terminated anywhere like theft, falsification, harassment, abuse, threats, accidents, etc..

Management complains about poor performance yet the one thing I constantly hear from new hires is that they feel like they've been thrown under the bus once they come back from courier class. Most of them say they've never worked anywhere where management does so little to help them do their jobs better. Managers are rarely satisfied with performance yet they never spend time working with the employees that need the most help. If all the forms and OLCC's we're constantly being forced to sign aren't worth the time and effort why doesn't management try building people up instead of tearing people down?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Jim's manager has noted Jim's poor performance (service failures and failure to make goal) and has addressed it on an individual basis. His coworker Bob didn't make goal and had service failures. He asks Bob if he got the same treatment, and Bob says he didn't. "WHY ARE THEY SINGLING ME OUT AND PICKING ON ME?" says Jim.

"YOU DON'T MAKE BOB DO THIS!!" You can explain until you're blue in the face why their situations are different but all Jim sees is that their situations are similar but they were handled differently. Nothing will change his perception and he'll be screaming about favoritism until the cows come home.

It's easier to do it with newer employees because they know they are in the learning process.

Like you?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Management complains about poor performance yet the one thing I constantly hear from new hires is that they feel like they've been thrown under the bus once they come back from courier class. Most of them say they've never worked anywhere where management does so little to help them do their jobs better.

And on the other side, I know a lot of couriers who will answer "Nothing" to a manager who asks what he or she can do to help the courier do his job better, then complain about a lack of assistance. Others will give stupid answers.

Managers are rarely satisfied with performance yet they never spend time working with the employees that need the most help. If all the forms and OLCC's we're constantly being forced to sign aren't worth the time and effort why doesn't management try building people up instead of tearing people down?

If I'm given a negative OLCC or some other indicator of a performance deficiency, one of first questions is going to be what am I doing wrong that is causing the deficiency. The job isn't rocket science. The methods aren't that complicated. Some people are not going to be good managers of time and there's no way to remedy that.

Of course, the best way to avoid most of those issues is to hire the right people, which is harder to do since the dummies complained about the skills test and we had to get rid of that...

El Morado Diablo

And on the other side, I know a lot of couriers who will answer "Nothing" to a manager who asks what he or she can do to help the courier do his job better, then complain about a lack of assistance. Others will give stupid answers.

If I'm given a negative OLCC or some other indicator of a performance deficiency, one of first questions is going to be what am I doing wrong that is causing the deficiency. The job isn't rocket science. The methods aren't that complicated. Some people are not going to be good managers of time and there's no way to remedy that.

Of course, the best way to avoid most of those issues is to hire the right people, which is harder to do since the dummies complained about the skills test and we had to get rid of that...

I notice you chose to ignore my first question, "By what criteria does the company measure poor performance to the point they're willing to terminate an employee and risk a lawsuit?" and instead answered the second question by throwing it back on employees. At some point when two sides are entrenched in their thinking one side has to be willing to change course if they expect things to get better. In this case that should be management since they are the ones calling the shots.

In agree with you regarding hiring the right people but FedEx isn't making it easy to attract and retain quality employees, are they?

MAKAVELI

It's funny how Dano is using the lack of the basic skills test as the excuse for not being able to hire the right people. Most UPS drivers start as handlers and have a seniority based system to drive. They have no basic skills test. Their system seems to work very well while having very safe and productive drivers. Dano wants to deflect and defend the piss poor management that runs this company. Dano, you are getting exactly what you and management put forth. A big heaping pile of crap. If management wants change, they need to only look in the mirror.

Purplepackage

I've agreed with you before that every company has employees who should be let go. The question is, by what criteria does the company measure poor performance to the point they're willing to terminate an employee and risk a lawsuit? I'm not talking about the kind of stuff that will get you terminated anywhere like theft, falsification, harassment, abuse, threats, accidents, etc..

Management complains about poor performance yet the one thing I constantly hear from new hires is that they feel like they've been thrown under the bus once they come back from courier class. Most of them say they've never worked anywhere where management does so little to help them do their jobs better. Managers are rarely satisfied with performance yet they never spend time working with the employees that need the most help. If all the forms and OLCC's we're constantly being forced to sign aren't worth the time and effort why doesn't management try building people up instead of tearing people down?

Here's what I think the criteria should be coming from my station where we have 2 employees who should've been canned A very long time ago.

If you are hired as a courier but you cannot do the job of a courier you should be let go. If you are brought in to do a morning sort, then come back to do the evening re load and DG audit then in my opinion you are being hidden because management doesn't want to deal with you anymore.

18 year courier is so bad that even during Christmas and I kid you not, this guy does not get even a rental van to help out. He runs the easiest pup route In the station and still can't do it, he literally has a folder of OLCCs. Do you know why he hasn't been canned, Affirmitave Action is my only guess

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
last time I told a fedex driver to organize and that I would help he told me to go to hell and mind my own business.

I told him it was in my best interest. actually felt sorry for him. he wasn't really mad at me but mad at his situation.

vantexan

The unfortunate side effect of that is they are retaining employees who need to do something else for a living.

Of course you're avoiding the elephant in the room. The company holds on to everyone they can because due to poor pay for demanding work they have a hard time retaining people.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You complain if we take on the arduous task of micromanaging, you complain if we don't.
Now you're putting words in my mouth. Typical Memphis response by the way. Upper management only wants break a sweat when it comes to micromanagement, harassment and blowing off important concerns. Anything they could do to actually help couriers do the job then upper management can't be bothered.

Get it?