I'm the idiot that took that PM OMS job

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
So I've been reading the forums since June, when I started interviewing. I finally almost 3 months after taking the job decided to join. I couldn't help it, the $ was decent, and it meant I wasn't just the dish washing, laundry doing, dinner cooking wife I was before. Now I'm a report printing, driver appeasing, package hunting, phone answering, customer helping, UPS employee. I also should mention if it goes wrong it's always MY FAULT. A driver's key fob battery dies on the road, it's on me. FT Management is gone at 3 on a Friday, hmmmm guess who's fixing things then. Oh yea and I was trained by a temp I was replacing! Gotta love that. She tried to tank me every chance she got. Still I like the job, it's demanding. I never get off on time. It's not for everyone, but hey it'll look great on a resume! I'm at a small rural center with great drivers and an interesting FT management group. We only have 2 sups on PM so it gets hectic. We only have 7 pt sups anyway...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So I've been reading the forums since June, when I started interviewing. I finally almost 3 months after taking the job decided to join. I couldn't help it, the $ was decent, and it meant I wasn't just the dish washing, laundry doing, dinner cooking wife I was before. Now I'm a report printing, driver appeasing, package hunting, phone answering, customer helping, UPS employee. I also should mention if it goes wrong it's always MY FAULT. A driver's key fob battery dies on the road, it's on me. FT Management is gone at 3 on a Friday, hmmmm guess who's fixing things then. Oh yea and I was trained by a temp I was replacing! Gotta love that. She tried to tank me every chance she got. Still I like the job, it's demanding. I never get off on time. It's not for everyone, but hey it'll look great on a resume! I'm at a small rural center with great drivers and an interesting FT management group. We only have 2 sups on PM so it gets hectic. We only have 7 pt sups anyway...

Welcome to BC as an active posting member.
I am sure you will get lots of interaction with other BCers and remember, whatever happens it is your fault.
​It is good training for being married too ... not just good on your resume.

elo

Thanks for the welcome! It was definitely my fault tonight. Apparently so much so that IE will be down in the next few weeks to observe me. That makes me a little uneasy, especially when the On-Road Sup and whatever that other ft guy is that's not the center manager are in my office for 20 minutes discussing DNEDs with me. I seriously just play dumb 90% of the time. Apparently it's key to survival.

oldngray

nowhere special
Schultz is the new UPS role model.

Schultz-I-Know-Nothing.jpg

upschuck

Thanks for the welcome! It was definitely my fault tonight. Apparently so much so that IE will be down in the next few weeks to observe me. That makes me a little uneasy, especially when the On-Road Sup and whatever that other ft guy is that's not the center manager are in my office for 20 minutes discussing DNEDs with me. I seriously just play dumb 90% of the time. Apparently it's key to survival.

That must be in the training manual, because our new oms's do the same thing. They have been here for a couple of weeks though, so you are well ahead of the curve. Got three new for peak, I think they are keeping one after for the one that quit/fired a month ago.

Good luck.

PT Car Washer

I do believe center OMS are the new on road sups. Might as well be. They do all the grunt work. On road sups any more are just coverage drivers and trainers. How much does a PT OMS get paid?

elo

Mid teens starting out, unless you were the temp they hired out of desperation. She's making more than me & they bought out her temp contract. I guess reload sups are worth more even after 6 libs I found while looking for a misload.

Sent from device_name using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

OMS are the backbone of the center. Whenever I have a question on an address or procedure, they are the first people I call. Center Manager is on conference call. On Road Sups are out delivering. Or at lunch. They are an invaluable asset.

elo

I love my job. It's never the same thing & I get to work with some great people. I am still learning, but I've got 2 awesome oms's to go to. They are a wealth of knowledge even off the clock. I'm following a brand new midday oms, and our drivers are staying on me to help her out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using BrownCafe mobile app