Improper Use of Speedy Dry "On Topic"

FEGuy

The point of my disagreement is simply a ph test does not test for hazardous material it only test if a substance is an acid, base, or neutral.

Not whether it is a hazardous material or not.

I don't need to ask.
Nothing "tests" for hazardous materials. Unknown is unknown. Hence the pH test and appropriate handling as the test indicates. Your questions and statements indicate that you, indeed, do need to ask. And you should. PE has the answers.

john chesney

I probably would feel stress if I was suffering as you have described.

Then having to watch your whole work group line up to suffer in the same way.

Glad to hear you filed charges.

What were the charges?
EEOC
Hostile work environment
Age discrimination
OSHA
Federal whistle blower protection act
Workers Comp
Retaliation charges
DOJ
Intimidation charges
Dol
Failure to represent
Federal lawsuits
Wrongful termination
Federal whistle blower protection act lawsuit.
Now you know why speedy dry just wasn’t on my radar.
I also filed complaints with the employee hotline then filed charges on them for fraud lol

Integrity

Binge Poster
Nothing "tests" for hazardous materials. Unknown is unknown. Hence the pH test and appropriate handling as the test indicates. Your questions and statements indicate that you, indeed, do need to ask. And you should. PE has the answers.
Unknown substances are to be treated as hazardous substances. That is what the standard is.

Once a substance is allowed to become an unknown by accident or improper spill clean up methods it must be treated as a hazardous substance.

Integrity

Binge Poster
EEOC
Hostile work environment
Age discrimination
OSHA
Workers Comp
Retaliation charges
DOJ
Intimidation charges
Dol
Failure to represent
Federal lawsuits
Wrongful termination
You probably could have thrown it in with the OSHA complaint had it been on your radar.

FEGuy

EEOC
Hostile work environment
Age discrimination
OSHA
Workers Comp
Retaliation charges
DOJ
Intimidation charges
Dol
Failure to represent
Federal lawsuits
Wrongful termination
I also filed complaints with the employee hotline then filed charges on them for fraud lol
What came of this lengthy list of charges?

I dont know what UPS specific procedures are but as a firefighter I can say that its not uncommon to leave it there to soak. Of all the things I might have to sweep off the floor speedy dry is easy. We put it under the trucks if they ever leak oil. You can leave it there forever and it would pose no risk to life or health. Its basically kitty litter. And as said above you should be wearing some type of slip resistant shoe or boot at all times. Protects from more than just slippery floors

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The standards are already set and thorough.

What is needed is enforcement of the procedure each and every day, not just on audit days.

Employees who insist on integrity when it comes to the performance of their jobs as designated responders will go a long way to correct this.

Also, if all employees insist on integrity when complying with

Don't touch. Leave the area. Notify a supervisor

then each an every spill will be cleaned up in a timely, and correct way.

Just ideas for improvement, no offense intended.

I was trying to be both sincere and encouraging. You sound like the kind of guy who would get the job done right. We all know there are standards, and there is what actually happens. Sometimes someone needs to set the example and lead the way so what actually happens coincides with the standards.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Whenever we use it at the FD, it’s cleaned up. Either for people’s safety, health and avoiding accidents or miscommunications. It’s also part of HAZMAT operations so if you’re a responder and not picking it back up, you shouldn’t be in the job.

It’s also cleaned up because we put it down....so why would you not pick it back up and dispose of it? Anything other is just pure laziness, and then the poor janitor comes around and sweeps it up and is now in contact with hazardous materials.

Daf

Improper spill clean up is not a serious safety concern?

I think it is very serious.
I would agree that this is potentially dangerous. I find it interesting that some rules are enforced and others aren’t.

Why is it so important for the responder to be in full ppe when they get to the spill to realize the unloader has been told to work right beside it?

Why do supervisors get mad when a belt is shut off for a leaker?

Why do some hubs get by with putting leakers in a bag and ship them on for the next place to process?

Why are there no retainers put up on loads anymore?

Why do all the trailers with holes in the roof get the red tags pulled off them instead of getting fixed?

Why are over 70’s not properly marked with yellow tape?

Why are we required to lift the over 70’s by ourselves?

Why does it take an employee 3 minutes of picking up boxes off the floor to get out of a trailer?

The answer is very simple. UPS cares about production numbers ONLY!!! Safety is only a concern AFTER someone gets hurt. Then the are just told to take days off until they heal so that the comp claim never has to be put in.