In a bit of a pickle, advice would be appreciated

ImThatGuy

Then I think it comes down to the possibility of going back to such a position if UPS doesn't work out. Is this at all a possibility? I understand most employers don't go for stuff like that but perhaps you have special circumstances?

The fact that I do a kick-ass job for my current supervisor, one of the first drivers to come in the morning/dont get packages late/rarely call in sick. I'm easily my supervisor's top 2 or 3 out of like 15/20 drivers. I'm almost positive he'll take me back based on my work ethic, thing is I dont know if he'll get offended. Leaving him to try out UPS and that not working out for what ever reason(too slow, fail road course, or no driver position open) only to come back to him asking if he'll take me back like a girlfriend cheating on her guy begging to take him back. Kind've of the same idea.

Stay where you are; if you are unhappy with your position, find a different line of work.
After 30 years, and seeing how this company has changed, I would not recommend ups as a career to anyone.
Just being completely honest with you.

When the UPS guy on my route tells me "hey bro, we're accepting drivers to work at our facility. so give it a shot see where it goes" then he goes on and tells me "yeah starting pay is 17.50hr but the first four years are not going to suck but after four years you'll make 90K to 120K a year you wont care" To be perfectly honest law enforcement has always interested me so I've thought of applying for the Sheriff's Dept possibly working at the county jail but then this opportunity arises and IDK what to do.

What do you mean by at this point in time you wouldn't recommend UPS as a career??

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The fact that I do a kick-ass job for my current supervisor, one of the first drivers to come in the morning/dont get packages late/rarely call in sick. I'm easily my supervisor's top 2 or 3 out of like 15/20 drivers. I'm almost positive he'll take me back based on my work ethic, thing is I dont know if he'll get offended. Leaving him to try out UPS and that not working out for what ever reason(too slow, fail road course, or no driver position open) only to come back to him asking if he'll take me back like a girlfriend cheating on her guy begging to take him back. Kind've of the same idea.

When the UPS guy on my route tells me "hey bro, we're accepting drivers to work at our facility. so give it a shot see where it goes" then he goes on and tells me "yeah starting pay is 17.50hr but the first four years are not going to suck but after four years you'll make 90K to 120K a year you wont care" To be perfectly honest law enforcement has always interested me so I've thought of applying for the Sheriff's Dept possibly working at the county jail but then this opportunity arises and IDK what to do.

What do you mean by at this point in time you wouldn't recommend UPS as a career??
Oh dear lord....my eyes!! I'm gonna miss having corneas...:balloon:

ImThatGuy

Who do you work for that's small time where you get 160 to 230 stops a day?

well I rather not say but the reason its that many is b/c its a bigger area that I cover. In the area that I cover those 160-230 stops there are 6-7 UPS drivers. So their area is more condensed with stops like 2/3 per street where I can have 1 maybe none to a street. More ground to cover, which sucks. During X MAS the past two years my heaviest day I topped out at was 314 stops. NO FUN AT ALL

Pooter

When you applied what exactly did you apply to?

I would go to the interview (without quitting current fed ex job) and ask exactly what the position is for. If it's not full time perm driver, don't accept the job. Not worth losing what you have for part time.

I would keep looking online for a permanent driver spot to open up.

Re-Raise

I don't see where this is even a close call.

We get free insurance for our entire family, up to 8 weeks of paid vacation plus 3 personal days, paid holidays, about 25k a year paid into our pension plan by the company and I don't have to maintain, insure or fuel my vehicle.