In-cab cameras?

bacha29

Does anyone know anything about this? All I know is that fellow driver said he was busted for doing 43 in a 35 and was even shown the footage by our contractor. I'll have to take a look at the truck when it's parked. I don't think mine is equipped, yet.

I know this link mentions line haul but I wonder if it's the same for other divisions?
Gain More Assignment Points as a FedEx Ground Contractor - RMJ Tech Blog

Inward facing cameras? Oh joy!
In time they will be mandated by X in all divisions including contractor owned equipment When that happens can you just imagine how much harder it will be for contractors to find people willing to drive for them for the money that they by that time will be able to pay.

STFXG

In time they will be mandated by X in all divisions including contractor owned equipment When that happens can you just imagine how much harder it will be for contractors to find people willing to drive for them for the money that they by that time will be able to pay.
Why would it be harder? We have guys in our building who have installed these in P&D vans. Not a single complaint from drivers. If FedEx mandates an install (they don't cost much) it's pretty easy to forget to install the memory card. Just sayin.

bacha29

Why would it be harder? We have guys in our building who have installed these in P&D vans. Not a single complaint from drivers. If FedEx mandates an install (they don't cost much) it's pretty easy to forget to install the memory card. Just sayin.
At a time when in some markets getting people to work for the pay being offered is growing more difficult, finding people willing to have every moment and every movement heavily scrutinized by X will no doubt become fewer in number. Who would want to work for a company when their judgement and character is held in such doubt and suspicion by a company whose paranoia is reaching intolerable levels?

STFXG

At a time when in some markets getting people to work for the pay being offered is growing more difficult, finding people willing to have every moment and every movement heavily scrutinized by X will no doubt become fewer in number. Who would want to work for a company when their judgement and character is held in such doubt and suspicion by a company whose paranoia is reaching intolerable levels?
You act like these cameras are a live feed and some TM is sitting in his office watching drivers pick their noses. You've lost it.

bacha29

You act like these cameras are a live feed and some TM is sitting in his office watching drivers pick their noses. You've lost it.[/QUOTE
But they could demand to look at the tapes anytime, anyplace for any reason including efforts to exonerate themselves from any potential loss or liability Oh by the way you are an " independent contractor'' but determining the parameters and limits of that independence, well that is exclusive domain of you know who.

STFXG

They only save data when there's an accident or certain speed parameters that are set by the owner are exceeded. There's nothing currently in the contract that says we would have to give the video to FedEx.

I haven't used them because I see them as a liability. I don't need to collect proof of an at-fault accident. They don't make sense to me. The people who have installed them have been scared in to installing them because of high accident rates. It's a joke.

bacha29

No disrespect but at the same time there is nothing that prevents X from demanding access to them. They don't hesitate to demand access to your private payroll records regardless of the fact that they are privileged and protected information. As you said the people who had to have them installed were clear cut victims of Fedex intimidation.

STFXG

No disrespect but at the same time there is nothing that prevents X from demanding access to them. They don't hesitate to demand access to your private payroll records regardless of the fact that they are privileged and protected information. As you said the people who had to have them installed were clear cut victims of Fedex intimidation.
The difference is the contract states I will provide proof that I am legally compliant. Apples to oranges. One I am required to provide if requested and one I am not.
Victims? They allowed themselves to be victims. They could have said no. They chose to install them rather than fight over it.

bacha29

You got that right. Always having to bow to their demands no matter how unjust or unlawful they may because no arbitration protocol exists to address everyday disagreements and even if it did exist the contract language simply isn't there to give contractors a fair chance. Hopefully sometime in the near future a consortium of investor class contractors will have the resources both economic and legal to bring some balance to the equation.

BootsOnTarmac

43 in a 35. That's 8 mph. Considering speedo error at low speeds I call BS on the "busted". I seriously doubt a cop would consider this speeding. Looks like the contractor is looking for a reason to bust the driver, maybe for past problems.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

43 in a 35. That's 8 mph. Considering speedo error at low speeds I call BS on the "busted". I seriously doubt a cop would consider this speeding. Looks like the contractor is looking for a reason to bust the driver, maybe for past problems.

43 in a 35 is more than 20% over the limit.

Our local police would have no problem writing that citation, as they should.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That all depends on the cop and the area. I used to regularly go to a town where a ticket for going 28 in a 25 was pretty common. Not much crime, and they got bored. Lol.

SmithBarney

Lots of local operations, Electric companies etc, have installed dash/cab cams mainly for insurance purposes, but I'm sure they could be used for discipline if warranted

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Dash cams may not be a bad idea. It would show who is responsible for accidents.

yea but pointing towards the road, not towards the cab... he wants to see those ground drivers pee in a bottle, talking on the phone while driving, pick their noses or play pocket billiards?!?

TeamLift

True, drivers in my hub get done by 1.00 pm or 2.00 pm everyday, but that's driving 70 mph or better on back roads, if they have to slow down, their gone, only thing that appeals about the job is getting home early

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The Ground drivers on my route drive like a bat out of hell on the back roads. I've already almost had two head-on collisions because they come flying around curves on my side of the road.