In Cab distractions

LeddySS98

I'm getting a warning letter for 'using my phone while driving'... No i wasn't texting... Nor was I talking on it... I looked to see what time it was because i forgot to put my watch on that morning... When they told us not to be on our phones while driving stupid me thought that meant talking or texting...

menotyou

bella amicizia
Looking to see if you are on schedule(as I would word it) is NOT illegal, nor against company policy.

Grieve. Art. 37. and any and all others that may apply. AT A MINIMUM.

bbsam

Staff member
I believe the new FEDERAL law includes "reaching for a cellular handset". And yes, I think it's pretty silly. Oh, by the way, CB's are exempted.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Print off phone records and prove that you were NOT using phone .

As bbsam said, the new law states that reaching for the phone is the same as talking or texting. Your eyes are taken from the road as you reach for the phone, check the time and then put the phone away. I agree that it is silly but it is the law and we need to abide by it.

bbsam

Staff member
Also failure to force compliance can result in the carrier receiving an $11,000 fine for each offense.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
New D.O.T Law states. That cell phone use in a COMMERCIAL Vehicle is prohibited. Since UPS vehicles have a DOT number on the side that makes them a commercial vehicle. Greive all you want but, it is the law.

RedThunder

New D.O.T Law states. That cell phone use in a COMMERCIAL Vehicle is prohibited. Since UPS vehicles have a DOT number on the side that makes them a commercial vehicle. Greive all you want but, it is the law.

The proposed Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) rule would prohibit commercial drivers from reaching for, holding or dialing a cell phone while operating a CMV. Drivers who violate these restrictions would face federal civil penalties of up to $2,750 for each offense and disqualification of their commercial driver's license (CDL) for multiple offenses. Additionally, states would suspend a driver's CDL after two or more violations of any state law on hand-held cell phone use.
Motor carriers that allow their drivers to use hand-held cell phones while driving would face a maximum penalty of $11,000. Approximately four million interstate commercial drivers would be affected by this proposal.

Reaching
A driver is not permitted to reach for a cellular phone or hands-free device that is done in "an unacceptable and unsafe manner." Examples of this behavior would be reaching for a cellular phone on the passenger seat, under the driver's seat, or into the sleeper berth. To be in compliance with the rule, a driver must have a cellular phone and/or hands-free device within "close proximity" to his or her person.

US DOT Bans Use of Hand-Held Cell Phones for CMV Drivers : Southeastern Trucking and Transportation Defense Blog : Carlock, Copeland & Stair Law Firm : Accident Investigation, Claims & Risk Management : Atlanta & South Carolina

bbsam

Staff member
"Holding, reaching for while moving out of a seated driving position, dialing or answering a hand held mobile phone is prohibited while driving a commercial vehicle."

bigbrownhen

Just put it in the back of the car and check the time at your next stop, or pull over. Remove the temptation from your reach. In all honesty, the time, text or call you might recieve isn't worth risking an accident or loss of a job. It's a hard habit to break, but wise to do so.