In Cab distractions

Packmule

While I support the new law banning DOT vehicles from using the phone, I wonder why once again, (like bulkhead doors closed, etc,) FedEx gets a pass. I see them running around all the time with a phone to their ear. Don't federal laws mean EVERYONE?

old levi's

blank space
While I support the new law banning DOT vehicles from using the phone, I wonder why once again, (like bulkhead doors closed, etc,) FedEx gets a pass. I see them running around all the time with a phone to their ear. Don't federal laws mean EVERYONE?

Roger that. They are never off the phone.

wornoutupser

Why is it that everyone thinks UPS is the enemy here. UPS and the Union both are required to follow the law of the land. The Federal government does not care if you, me or anyone else is union. There was a case about 4 yrs ago now that the State of Flordia stated that all CDL drivers were mandated to take a yearly pee test. Several UPS drivers greived this policy of the state.. Didn't go very far. There CDL"s were supended by the state till compliance. Bottom line the Government will always win any grevince between the company and the union.

I live in and work in Florida..
I have a CDL.
I have never taken a whiz quiz!

bbsam, no worries--the clueless trio are the least of my concerns. I'm more worried that I haven't been laid since Clinton was in office. Also one of my biggest worries is that I am having a hard time interacting with others face to face. This damm web site is my whole life and I know it's not healthy but I'm a weirdo. Do you want to hang out sometime bbsam? I was thinking that we could join assistantsanta in the chat room and have a cyber party. Let me know
W T friend

LeddySS98

Thanks for all the feedback here guys... I saw the supervisor today that had observed me glancing at my phone checking the time... He was in his personal truck leaving the parking lot at 9 this morning with his phone stuck to his ear... I pointed it out to the other sup and he told me I'll never get a warning letter for in my personal vehicle... If UPS is so big on safety, and it's during business hours then shouldn't management go by the rules to regardless of vehicle type?

If checking the time is a in cab distraction then so is taking a drink from my cup with the cupholder sitting on the dash.
changing the fan speed from hi to low on the heat while driving is a in cab distraction to then right?
No more clearing your throat and spitting out the door while driving... takes your eyes off the road to do that to.

brown bomber

brown bomber
besides tractor trailer drivers, the worst offenders of cell phone use I've witnessed...........are POLICE OFFICERS........50% of police officers I've seen on road have a phone to their ear.....and they're enforcing......I don't get it.......on top of that they have a laptop staring them in the face, in addition to communications to dispatch and fellow officers.......talk about distracted drivers

UPSGUY72

I'm getting a warning letter for 'using my phone while driving'... No i wasn't texting... Nor was I talking on it... I looked to see what time it was because i forgot to put my watch on that morning... When they told us not to be on our phones while driving stupid me thought that meant talking or texting...

Why didn't you pick up the Diad and look at the Time??? OH wait a minute we not suppose to do that because it takes are eye off the road and hands of the steering wheel. You know that your not suppose to look at the Diad while driving but figure it's ok to look at your phone as long as your not talking on it????

over9five

Staff member
I know some of you have strong feelings about distracted drivers, AND I agree with that.

BUT.....back to the OP getting a warning letter for checking the time on his phone. This does not seem to be prohibited by the new regs. I even checked the UPS poster tonight. I'm hoping there is one in every facility so you guys can check me on this. It says three things regarding "hand held":

1. You can't use one hand on your mobile phone to conduct voice communications.
(The OP was not conducting voice communications so this doesn't count)

2. You can only push one button to make or receive a call.
(The OP was not making or receiving a call)

3. You have to be able to reach the phone while seated with your seatbelt on.
(Let's assume the OP could easily reach the phone)

That's why the warning letter is bogus. It's simply not prohibited to check the time on your phone. I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just saying it's not prohibited. The sup pulled that [-]out of his[/-] out of thin air. It has to be grieved because some sup can't be allowed to make his own rules.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Over, I agree with you that a warning letter in this situation is over the top; however, I do agree with the sup trying to educate the drivers in his center of the dangers of distracted driving.

Had two applicable instances in the yard last night. I spent the better part of 5 minutes watching a driver do pull ups because he kept blowing the approach on his backing maneuver. Only when he finally got into the bay was I able to see he had been jawing on his CB the whole time.

The second was someone in yard control who felt they needed to educate experienced drivers on safety tips by sending message after message over the shiftcom. I replied after the umpteenth one that repeated shiftcom messages cause distracted driving.

over9five

Staff member
Had two applicable instances in the yard last night. I spent the better part of 5 minutes watching a driver do pull ups because he kept blowing the approach on his backing maneuver. Only when he finally got into the bay was I able to see he had been jawing on his CB the whole time.

The second was someone in yard control who felt they needed to educate experienced drivers on safety tips by sending message after message over the shiftcom. I replied after the umpteenth one that repeated shiftcom messages cause distracted driving.
Lol, seen both of those. One of their favorite shiftcom messages here is "Use your light cord". Well, we all use them, it's just many don't work!

brownman15

Thanks for all the feedback here guys... I saw the supervisor today that had observed me glancing at my phone checking the time... He was in his personal truck leaving the parking lot at 9 this morning with his phone stuck to his ear... I pointed it out to the other sup and he told me I'll never get a warning letter for in my personal vehicle... If UPS is so big on safety, and it's during business hours then shouldn't management go by the rules to regardless of vehicle type?

If checking the time is a in cab distraction then so is taking a drink from my cup with the cupholder sitting on the dash.
changing the fan speed from hi to low on the heat while driving is a in cab distraction to then right?
No more clearing your throat and spitting out the door while driving... takes your eyes off the road to do that to.

no more checking mirrors or checking your speed and gauges