In case you missed it....APWA press

Re: Rival union aims to replace Teamsters at UPS

Barking dog our pilots would be a better scenario on how success of leaving the teamsters. Your comparing apples to oranges ? You have a troubling airline situation to a Prospering package company ! I do not know the financials but the pilots are flying and not complaining about any pension wooo`s and health insurance issues ! Same goes for the miami,Fla police department - there fund is prospering because they don`t have to carry the heavy teamsters on their back - all the money goes to their plan as to paying the teamsters to do it ! Obviously there you have to prospering groups that are much happier and financially better off now - so as to say whatever you wish for you might get - bring it on !

I would like to point out that the pilots association (IPA) went for two years without a contract after leaving the Teamsters. How long could APWA survive with a situation like that? In 1997 they honored the strike line and now after two years of negotiations I would be surprised if they have the legal rights to honor another picket line. You don't hear anything from them on the successes of negotiations do you? The Miami Police and their association (IUPA) are affiliated with the AFL-CIO and have the power of that national organization behind them. My point here is that your two "better off" unions are associations not unions and at least one of them is affiliated with the AFL-CIO.

What has the APWA done? How do they expect to be able to stand alone against one of the biggest corporations in the world? How can they even begin to think that UPS will just give them a contract because they are there? Look at UPS did to the pilots.

APWA is playing a very serious game with the UPS'ers careers and financial stability (pensions) and any decision to change unions should be made with all of the information on the table and out front for them to investigate for themselves. APWA is hiding too much and not coming forward with the truth. For example who is footing the bills for the lawyers and national media campaigns? (Please don't insult us by trying to say that the money is rolling in from $150 charter member sign ups. We know better than that.)

sawdusttv

I would like to point out that the pilots association (IPA) went for two years without a contract after leaving the Teamsters. How long could APWA survive with a situation like that? In 1997 they honored the strike line and now after two years of negotiations I would be surprised if they have the legal rights to honor another picket line. You don't hear anything from them on the successes of negotiations do you? The Miami Police and their association (IUPA) are affiliated with the AFL-CIO and have the power of that national organization behind them. My point here is that your two "better off" unions are associations not unions and at least one of them is affiliated with the AFL-CIO.

What has the APWA done? How do they expect to be able to stand alone against one of the biggest corporations in the world? How can they even begin to think that UPS will just give them a contract because they are there? Look at UPS did to the pilots.

APWA is playing a very serious game with the UPS'ers careers and financial stability (pensions) and any decision to change unions should be made with all of the information on the table and out front for them to investigate for themselves. APWA is hiding too much and not coming forward with the truth. For example who is footing the bills for the lawyers and national media campaigns? (Please don't insult us by trying to say that the money is rolling in from $150 charter member sign ups. We know better than that.)

DOG,

IF the IPA could last 2 years with as few pilots as they have, what makes you think that the APWA couldn't last with the amount of employees at UPS.
Also, from what I hear, the UPS pilots are being very well compensated.

As far as the APWA hiding things, I think you are dead wrong. I have talk to Van and Danny and they are very open and honest with everything that they can legally talk about at this point. But, due to legal restraints, they are not able to publicly talk about some details at this time. That doesn't mean that they want talk when they are able. You must understand that the Lawyers are consulted in order that no mistakes are made before giving out any info.

As far as the funding for the APWA.
If you figure JUST the charter members which is 9600 at $150 EACH THAT IS $1,440,000.00
KEEP IN MIND THAT THAT IS ONLY THE CHARTER MEMBERS, Now I don't have any idea how many regular members there are but it is many times larger than the charter members and growing daily, and the $150 is only the membership fee, it does not include other contributions from the members.

It's not hard to see were the money is coming from.

badpas

Bd, I spoke to the IPA president[Bob Miller] personally and he was actually quite upfront and curious when he heard of this. Nobody is saying that they have it better than someone else but after speaking to him it was obvious that after 18 years of so there is no way they would ever go back to the way that was. Lets not forget there were only 400 roughly at the time and to do what they wanted done they even ran the entire union out of the back of his car for a year. Yes the company stahled and did what they could to save any money they could, thats ups for ya. And I fully think they'll try it again except not to the same degree considering the numbers, not to mention we are the core of ups and all. The point is they felt it nessecary to break away for a fraction of the problems were having and they were going to do it regardless. But they did their home work, being educated pilots and all, and it worked out for them. Bob Miller also said that they still don't get everything they want but they feel more secure now than ever before.

Its my understanding that if the teamsters are voted out and the apwa is voted in we are to work under the same contract that is already in place and we would have to follow it until it expired. Now Jon Frum states this is not the case and if so I would like to know why it would be different for us than it was for the pilots. Still a good question but doesn't make much sense considering the pilots kept working under the same contract until a new one was ratified, but I'd still like to know.

Absolutely, this is very serious business and that when asked they'll tell you that this is much more than a game, and that everyones futures are at stake. My first sugestion would be to contact them as soon as possible because your questions have alot of merritt to them and deserve answered. If for some reason you cannot reach them I will pass them on and I promise you I'll get and answer and get back to you. As far as hiding info, again try contacting them first and if that doesn't work I'll see what I can do. Its just like you said we need to make a serious decision and we need to have all the information at hand to do so.

705red

Browncafe Steward

DOG,

IF the IPA could last 2 years with as few pilots as they have, what makes you think that the APWA couldn't last with the amount of employees at UPS.
Also, from what I hear, the UPS pilots are being very well compensated.

As far as the APWA hiding things, I think you are dead wrong. I have talk to Van and Danny and they are very open and honest with everything that they can legally talk about at this point. But, due to legal restraints, they are not able to publicly talk about some details at this time. That doesn't mean that they want talk when they are able. You must understand that the Lawyers are consulted in order that no mistakes are made before giving out any info.

As far as the funding for the APWA.
If you figure JUST the charter members which is 9600 at $150 EACH THAT IS $1,440,000.00
KEEP IN MIND THAT THAT IS ONLY THE CHARTER MEMBERS, Now I don't have any idea how many regular members there are but it is many times larger than the charter members and growing daily, and the $150 is only the membership fee, it does not include other contributions from the members.

It's not hard to see were the money is coming from.
Saw. alot of us our concerned about going without a contract, if the apwa is successful tou will be without a contract. Now we all know that the majority of upsers are out for them selves and will give in at the least bit of preesure from the company, leaving the go getters out and alone all by ourselves with no protection!

Its going to take alot more than a million to pull off the apwa.

sawdusttv

Saw. alot of us our concerned about going without a contract, if the apwa is successful tou will be without a contract. Now we all know that the majority of upsers are out for them selves and will give in at the least bit of preesure from the company, leaving the go getters out and alone all by ourselves with no protection!

Its going to take alot more than a million to pull off the apwa.

What good is a contract if it is not enforced?
That's what we have now!

As far as the money you're right, it is going to take a lot more, and it is rolling in every day.

FreightKicker

FreightKicker
Re: In case you missed it....APWA press-- Dayton, Oh

UPS drivers maneuvering to create a new union
By Thomas Gnau
Saturday, May 19, 2007
Dayton Daily News

DAYTON — — A group of United Parcel Service drivers are maneuvering to exit the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and create a new union.

Drivers like Rick Ford, who drives a semi to Chicago each night from West Carrollton, is an organizer for a union branding itself the Association of Parcel Workers of America.

For Ford, 48, the impetus to leave the Teamsters comes down to what he contends is a faulty pension system — the Central States Fund. If he retired tomorrow, Ford says he would receive nothing, though he has been an UPS driver for 29 years......

View the article in its entirety.
Dayton Daily News

Glad to be a "Proud Member" of the APWA!

nospinzone

The Kansas City Star

Parcel Workers Union files for vote at UPS
Parcel workers group wants to represent UPS workers at KCK terminal.
By RANDOLPH HEASTER
The Kansas City Star
A labor group trying to replace the Teamsters at UPS has filed to hold a union election at the UPS Freight Inc. terminal in Kansas City, Kan.

The Association of Parcel Workers of America made its request with the Overland Park office of the National Labor Relations Board this week. The office will determine whether the cards signed by UPS Freight workers requesting a vote are valid before setting an election date.

The Kansas City, Kan., terminal has about 360 hourly workers......

A Teamsters International spokeswoman declined to comment on the parcel workers association’s organizing campaign at UPS Freight.

The Teamsters were decertified from the Kansas City, Kan., terminal when the company was still Overnite Transportation in 2002. Through much of the 1990s, the Teamsters tried to organize Overnite nationwide and ultimately failed.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Re: The Kansas City Star

Parcel Workers Union files for vote at UPS
Parcel workers group wants to represent UPS workers at KCK terminal.
By RANDOLPH HEASTER
The Kansas City Star

Well done, APWA. No disputing that. REACHING this step raises my eye-brows. Now, can you demonstrate some credibility and win this election? I guess that's the biggest question for me. -Rocky