In regards to my new cell-phone policy

ups1990

Late last year, I posted that my cell phone policy would change in 2010. This very week, had to inform(scold) a person not to call me on Saturday. Use the 1-800 number if you're tracking a Saturday delivery. Don't call me.

Some of the blame does fall on me for not stopping non-emergency calls sooner(if you will). Customers would rather give us a call than talk to an operator and go thru the process, but this is why we have this toll free service.

In closing. One can only imagine how much more these operators would be working as well as the centers across the nation if we drivers had a no cell phone policy,

Late last year, I posted that my cell phone policy would change in 2010. This very week, had to inform(scold) a person not to call me on Saturday. Use the 1-800 number if you're tracking a Saturday delivery. Don't call me.

Some of the blame does fall on me for not stopping non-emergency calls sooner(if you will). Customers would rather give us a call than talk to an operator and go thru the process, but this is why we have this toll free service.

In closing. One can only imagine how much more these operators would be working as well as the centers across the nation if we drivers had a no cell phone policy,
I agree, however it does sometimes make it easier for the driver. but not on Saturdays.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can count the times I have given my phone # to a customer on the fingers of one hand. And I only use my phone for work under extremely rare situations. In the long run, it causes more problems than it solves. We have a 1-800 number and management can contact me through the DIAD, the system is already in place, we need to let it work.

Dustyroads

It's like everything, things are different everywhere. I've been on the same area for 30 years, everyone has my cellphone number, and I've never gotten a call that I found annoying or even inconvenient. When they call, they are always polite, apologetic, friendly. I have that carrier that has poor coverage, so lots of times they may just leave me a message. I don't get a lot of calls, but the ones I do get are important to my customers. Bottom line, it makes my work and life a lot easier.

I get a few calls from my cover drivers when I take time off, it's always fun to give them directions to some place waaaaay out in the country. :)

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Dusty road wrote: I get a few calls from my cover drivers when I take time off, it's always fun to give them directions to some place waaaaay out in the country.
I used to love those calls--- Go down 781 to the Johnson Place, turn right onto the dirt road, go to the 4th sweet gum, it's the trl on the left with the 62 rambler on blocks

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I had a cover driver call me during my wedding to ask for directions to a stop, he didn't know the reason that I was off that day. I almost said something to him ("dude, I'm trying to get married here"), but I just gave him the info and got back to business :happy-very:.

How would I take to the boys?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dusty road wrote: I get a few calls from my cover drivers when I take time off, it's always fun to give them directions to some place waaaaay out in the country.
I used to love those calls--- Go down 781 to the Johnson Place, turn right onto the dirt road, go to the 4th sweet gum, it's the trl on the left with the 62 rambler on blocks
I know where that house is.......................:surprised:

Re-Raise

I get a few calls from my cover drivers when I take time off, it's always fun to give them directions to some place waaaaay out in the country. :)

I got a call last fall from one of my cover drivers who tried to take a road along a river levee. The water didn't look too deep and he thought he could make it. He got off the side and was leaning hard to the left with water actually coming into the back of the package car.

He was in a panic. The road had a 'road closed' sign that he disregarded and he was afraid for his job if he called work. I said let me make some calls. I called some friends at two nearby businesses. One with a tractor, and one with enough barge rope to get to him.

They got him out. A lot of people on my route and probably 90% of the drivers in my center have my number. I have no problem with it.

I got a call last fall from one of my cover drivers who tried to take a road along a river levee. The water didn't look too deep and he thought he could make it. He got off the side and was leaning hard to the left with water actually coming into the back of the package car.

He was in a panic. The road had a 'road closed' sign that he disregarded and he was afraid for his job if he called work. I said let me make some calls. I called some friends at two nearby businesses. One with a tractor, and one with enough barge rope to get to him.

They got him out. A lot of people on my route and probably 90% of the drivers in my center have my number. I have no problem with it.
That because your a stand up guy I wish we had more like you.

upsgrunt

My questions are:
What does that cover driver owe you?:happy2:
and
What do you owe your friends?:happy2:

Re-Raise

My questions are:
What does that cover driver owe you?:happy2:
and
What do you owe your friends?:happy2:

He's a good kid. On his first day off he took doughnuts to the guys at both places who came to help him.

They got a kick out of showing me the cell phone pictures they took,
which I told them to delete and never show to anyone else.

Steve you know I grew up on my area, they probably have more incriminating pictures of me floating around.:happy2:

upsgrunt

He's a good kid. On his first day off he took doughnuts to the guys at both places who came to help him.

They got a kick out of showing me the cell phone pictures they took,
which I told them to delete and never show to anyone else.

Steve you know I grew up on my area, they probably have more incriminating pictures of me floating around.:happy2:

Eric-
There is something to be said about growing up in a small town and then working in that small town. I really do miss it.

EmerCond421

however it does sometimes make it easier for the driver.

but its not a big deal. I use it for my convenience.

It's like everything, things are different everywhere. I've never gotten a call that I found annoying or even inconvenient. When they call, they are always polite, apologetic, friendly. I don't get a lot of calls, but the ones I do get are important to my customers. Bottom line, it makes my work and life a lot easier. :)

A lot of people on my route and probably 90% of the drivers in my center have my number. I have no problem with it.

I feel that a cell phone is just another tool that can be used to make your day easier or even a day next week. Several times I've had customers call just to inform me that they would not be home due to an unexpected emergency and to hold their package. Or don't come out today the roads are too bad and plows haven't been out yet. Or, during this last peak, could you take that much needed tractor part to our secondary ranch (on pavement rather than 32 miles round trip over a pass) we'll meet you there.

satellitedriver

And if you see a three legged dog running next to your pkg car you have gone one house too far.
No joke, I was a rookie swing driver and was given that direction by a veteran driver and I thought he was pulling my leg. I found the house and drove down the road about a half mile and "Ole Tripod" was waiting and ran next to my car.

DS

Fenderbender
Ok I gotta chime in. My wife and myself up till now have got on fine without cell phones.I think we have to cave.I see 5 yr olds in the mall talking to thier friends.I'm in a big city and as far as work goes I don't think I will give my customers or my mgmt team my number .The diad works fine and there are still a few payphones here and there.But there are times when things come up that a cell would make things easier.
If I go for a blackberry I can moderate on my break...lol