In regards to my new cell-phone policy

satellitedriver

Ok I gotta chime in. My wife and myself up till now have got on fine without cell phones.I think we have to cave.I see 5 yr olds in the mall talking to thier friends.I'm in a big city and as far as work goes I don't think I will give my customers or my mgmt team my number .The diad works fine and there are still a few payphones here and there.But there are times when things come up that a cell would make things easier.
If I go for a blackberry I can moderate on my break...lol

Welcome to the 21st century, DS.:peaceful:

Camping Nana

I had a cover driver call me during my wedding to ask for directions to a stop, he didn't know the reason that I was off that day. I almost said something to him ("dude, I'm trying to get married here"), but I just gave him the info and got back to business :happy-very:.

:surprise:

You had your cell phone turned on during your wedding?

:faint:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
:surprise:

You had your cell phone turned on during your wedding?

:faint:
I had a lot going on that day, people coming in from out of town, a special cake that was timed to arrive at the last minute, catered food, etc. I was giving directions on the phone right up to the ceremony.

jw55wags

Originally Posted by Re-Raise
...They got a kick out of showing me the cell phone pictures they took,
which I told them to delete and never show to anyone else

What a great bunch of friends.

Camping Nana

I had a cover driver call me during my wedding to ask for directions to a stop, he didn't know the reason that I was off that day. I almost said something to him ("dude, I'm trying to get married here"), but I just gave him the info and got back to business :happy-very:.

I had a lot going on that day, people coming in from out of town, a special cake that was timed to arrive at the last minute, catered food, etc. I was giving directions on the phone right up to the ceremony.

Oh.... I can certainly understand needing the phone on "right up to the ceremony"...... but from your first post, I thought you meant during the actual ceremony.

:happy2:

jw55wags

]Originally Posted by Re-Raise
...They got a kick out of showing me the cell phone pictures they took,
which I told them to delete and never show to anyone else

What a great bunch of friends.:happy-very:

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I was just helping that sheep get over the fence.
images

trickpony1

STUG-
Just a word of caution......
In the old days before cell phones, a drivers wife had to contact her husband regarding a family emergency.
She called the center and asked the management team to contact her husband IMMEDIATELY.
The center manager called the drivers LAST pick up account and asked them to have the driver call the center.
Needless to say, the situation didn't turn out well and the driver has NEVER forgotten this.
Do you want this?
Some cell plans are relatively cheap.
If nothing else, get a pager (very cheap) and have a system for encoding messages in the 10 numeric fields available.

Is your family worth it?
Just a thought......do what you want.

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUG-
Just a word of caution......
In the old days before cell phones, a drivers wife had to contact her husband regarding a family emergency.
She called the center and asked the management team to contact her husband IMMEDIATELY.
The center manager called the drivers LAST pick up account and asked them to have the driver call the center.
Needless to say, the situation didn't turn out well and the driver has NEVER forgotten this.
Do you want this?
Some cell plans are relatively cheap.
If nothing else, get a pager (very cheap) and have a system for encoding messages in the 10 numeric fields available.

Is your family worth it?
Just a thought......do what you want.
I know you're looking out for my best interests, trick, and I thank you for this. The thing is, I know my limitations. I can't be there for every single thing that may occur, and I'm okay with that. I also don't want to hear about every fart, burp, scrape, argument or whatever else can happen during the day, at the very moment it occurs. I can wait till the end of the day to talk to anyone that "needs" me. I'm okay with this. My land line actually barely ever rings while I'm at home, and I'm okay with this.

My Wife has a cell phone, (newly updated with the full data pkg), She loves it, and I'm okay with that. I have a bunch of friends that would love me to have one, as well as be on Facebook and such, but I'm okay with what I have, thanks anyways, but I'll keep my cell phone policy.:happy2:

Camping Nana

I know you're looking out for my best interests, trick, and I thank you for this. The thing is, I know my limitations. I can't be there for every single thing that may occur, and I'm okay with that. I also don't want to hear about every fart, burp, scrape, argument or whatever else can happen during the day, at the very moment it occurs. I can wait till the end of the day to talk to anyone that "needs" me. I'm okay with this. My land line actually barely ever rings while I'm at home, and I'm okay with this.

My Wife has a cell phone, (newly updated with the full data pkg), She loves it, and I'm okay with that. I have a bunch of friends that would love me to have one, as well as be on Facebook and such, but I'm okay with what I have, thanks anyways, but I'll keep my cell phone policy.:happy2:

Steve - I understand your feelings on this - HOWEVER, back in pre-cell phone days, my husband (a former UPS driver) missed seeing his dad before he died. A cell phone would have made a difference in when he arrived at the hospital - the mgtmt people were leaving messages all over his route, but it wasn't fast enough. A cell phone would have made a difference. You can work out a code or give EXPLICIT instructions to your family regarding using its number - and you don't need to give the number to your mgtmt people - but it is something to think about! What if it gave you that extra time to tell a loved one good-bye....

rod

Retired 22 years
Steve - I understand your feelings on this - HOWEVER, back in pre-cell phone days, my husband (a former UPS driver) missed seeing his dad before he died. A cell phone would have made a difference in when he arrived at the hospital - the mgtmt people were leaving messages all over his route, but it wasn't fast enough. A cell phone would have made a difference. You can work out a code or give EXPLICIT instructions to your family regarding using its number - and you don't need to give the number to your mgtmt people - but it is something to think about! What if it gave you that extra time to tell a loved one good-bye....

Ditto here. It took UPS almost 3 hours to find me when my Dad died. I'm not blaming them as this was pre cell phone days and I was out in the middle of no where. Come to think of it there probably isn't cell service out there now.