In your opinion..

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I've currently been offered a p/t supervisor position and was told I would pretty much be answering phone calls all "day".. Then the same person said another position was opening sooner that would be answering calls all "night" but it's still considered a supervisory position. I admit that I know NOTHING about UPS, Nothing about job titles and what they do on a daily basis, nothing about pay or benefits, I honestly don't even know how unions work.

My main question is, what positions do those 2 descriptions sound like? What would the job title be and what is the work like?

I also would like to know if you were coming in as an entry level p/t OR friend/t supervisor what is the best job to have for career advancement. Also, what is the least amount of money you would take for an entry level p/t OR friend/t supervisor?

Last question, I have the chance to be a driver helper in my current area (not where I was offered the job).. should I take the opportunity to be a temporary helper through the holiday season? Would it give me any benefit to have worked as a driver helper if I applied in another area? Would that be a good time to pick the driver's brain for information about UPS and general knowledge?

Thanks in advance guys :)
Go ahead and sell your soul to the devil and go into supervision, let us know how the stupidest decision youll ever make in your life works out for ya lol. Youll know after your somebodies puppet and lil biznitchee, kinda like prison lol.

Well thanks for all the kind words guys. I wouldn't like driving and I'd much rather get an ear full than load a truck everyday.. so where does that land me? supervisor.. I'm probably not going to be with the company long.. it's mainly going to be a transition job.. 4-5 years maximum more than likely

Well thanks for all the kind words guys. I wouldn't like driving and I'd much rather get an ear full than load a truck everyday.. so where does that land me? supervisor.. I'm probably not going to be with the company long.. it's mainly going to be a transition job.. 4-5 years maximum more than likely
Many PT sups say they are only here for a short time. Then 10 years later they are career PT sups still loading because someone quit or called in or volume was more then expected.

Many PT sups say they are only here for a short time. Then 10 years later they are career PT sups still loading because someone quit or called in or volume was more then expected.

So you do load trucks if they aren't meeting numbers or something? I didn't know if it was one of those things where supervisors/management were discouraged from doing laborious work kind of like wal-mart. Now I can see why people say it's not worth it. But, if this is an OMS position I'm taking it after what everybody said lol plus I'm sure I'll be working with women all day. That could either be amazing or really really bad.. lol

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
So you do load trucks if they aren't meeting numbers or something? I didn't know if it was one of those things where supervisors/management were discouraged from doing laborious work kind of like wal-mart. Now I can see why people say it's not worth it. But, if this is an OMS position I'm taking it after what everybody said lol plus I'm sure I'll be working with women all day. That could either be amazing or really really bad.. lol

As a woman, I can tell you that it's not fun working with a bunch of women, especially when their PMS becomes synced. Word of warning, stay out of the middle of cat fights. They can be ugly. Good luck.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Only if you have excessive call outs or will not make service if you don't help can you work as a sup. Only bargaining unit employees can do package handling otherwise. Respect that if you do end up on a belt. Your job is to supervise only.

As a woman, I can tell you that it's not fun working with a bunch of women, especially when their PMS becomes synced. Word of warning, stay out of the middle of cat fights. They can be ugly. Good luck.

mmm.. cat fights. :)

or will not make service if you don't help can you work as a sup.

I think I'm misunderstanding you. But you're saying I should only help on the belt if our numbers are super low due to call outs and other random stuff? and what do you mean by bargaining unit employees?

Thanks for the info. btw

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I think I'm misunderstanding you. But you're saying I should only help on the belt if our numbers are super low due to call outs and other random stuff? and what do you mean by bargaining unit employees?
Bargaining unit employees=Union employees.

You are correct on the call outs. But only if you've exhausted every other option to get fill ins. Other random stuff would be training new employees or if you are going to be late if you do not help. Those times should be rare if you are fully staffed. But sometimes things happen. If you are going to help, you better have a good reason. Just because you are behind for 30 seconds isn't a good enough excuse. If you are short, find a way to fix it without touching a package.

We have a sup in my center that I swear just likes to show they can do it and will touch a package for no other reason than they want to. It's disrespectful and against the contract.

chris9834

I've currently been offered a p/t supervisor position and was told I would pretty much be answering phone calls all "day".. Then the same person said another position was opening sooner that would be answering calls all "night" but it's still considered a supervisory position. I admit that I know NOTHING about UPS, Nothing about job titles and what they do on a daily basis, nothing about pay or benefits, I honestly don't even know how unions work.

My main question is, what positions do those 2 descriptions sound like? What would the job title be and what is the work like?

I also would like to know if you were coming in as an entry level p/t OR friend/t supervisor what is the best job to have for career advancement. Also, what is the least amount of money you would take for an entry level p/t OR friend/t supervisor?

Last question, I have the chance to be a driver helper in my current area (not where I was offered the job).. should I take the opportunity to be a temporary helper through the holiday season? Would it give me any benefit to have worked as a driver helper if I applied in another area? Would that be a good time to pick the driver's brain for information about UPS and general knowledge?

Thanks in advance guys :)
From what ive experienced and heard even from friend.t. sups, being a p.t. sup you will never advance. You are the guy that will be talked to so bad I really dont think you realize how bad were talking, when I was in the hub when I was a loader they get talked to so bad I felt bad for them im not kidding you I would be in jail for agg assault if I was a p.t. sup. You are in a nut shell a friend.t. sups buddy* seriously. They will tell you to do hourly work which is a no no then the Union guys will file on you for working. If you are just set in stone on being in mgmt utilize UPS school reimbursement program and get a bachelor's in business and go to another company that cares about there mgmt its a bad idea here were trying to save you but do whatever you want youll be the next friend.t sup buddy* and if you dont like it they will fire you and your not protected by the union.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

From what ive experienced and heard even from friend.t. sups, being a p.t. sup you will never advance. You are the guy that will be talked to so bad I really dont think you realize how bad were talking, when I was in the hub when I was a loader they get talked to so bad I felt bad for them im not kidding you I would be in jail for agg assault if I was a p.t. sup. You are in a nut shell a friend.t. sups buddy* seriously. They will tell you to do hourly work which is a no no then the Union guys will file on you for working. If you are just set in stone on being in mgmt utilize UPS school reimbursement program and get a bachelor's in business and go to another company that cares about there mgmt its a bad idea here were trying to save you but do whatever you want youll be the next friend.t sup buddy* and if you dont like it they will fire you and your not protected by the union.
Wut.

You're not a whipping boy if you do your job like you were trained. If you screw up a lot, you're going to get a lot of flak. Simple as that.

Bargaining unit employees=Union employees.
You are correct on the call outs. But only if you've exhausted every other option to get fill ins. Other random stuff would be training new employees or if you are going to be late if you do not help. Those times should be rare if you are fully staffed. But sometimes things happen. If you are going to help, you better have a good reason. Just because you are behind for 30 seconds isn't a good enough excuse. If you are short, find a way to fix it without touching a package.
We have a sup in my center that I swear just likes to show they can do it and will touch a package for no other reason than they want to. It's disrespectful and against the contract.

Ok I understand now, that's what I wanted to hear.. I didn't want to be one of those supervisors that are basically doing a loaders job plus a supervisors job for just a little bit more pay..

well there are some people like you saying it's terrible and others saying it's doable if you do your job right. I'm pretty confident I can do the job correctly and I personally know a lot of the people that work there considering it's a very small center.