Increase in union dues

HardknocksUPSer

Was checking on UPSers and noticed a additional .50 cent was being taken out of each paycheck, no major deal, just wonder why .50 cent increase in dues is being taken out without a raise? I assume it's more of a local thing more than anything, ideas? How often does this kind of thing happen? I assume the union can do it anytime they want to. I am unfortunately however in a RTW state. Thanks.

HardknocksUPSer

When we got our raise in August. The dues went up also. Happens every raise. You must have just noticed.
I didn't get a raise, I haven't worked for UPS long enough to receive a raise, I have been here about a year now, however I was hired as a seasonal, therefore some of that time doesn't count. Thanks.

8000Shelf

You get what's called an "assessment" taken out once a month in my local and I'm guessing yours too. It's exactly $.50 a month.

8000Shelf

What exactly is the "assessment"? Any idea? Thanks for valuable input!

From Wikipedia 'Union Dues' page:

"Assessments are generally one-time-only payments made by the union member to the union to cover a special program or activity. These special programs may or may not be ongoing, and may or may not operate for a limited time or in a limited fashion."

I'm not sure what it is for in your local or mine honestly. I'm sure if you called your local and asked they could give you an explanation of it. I never worried about it for $26 a year, but I don't blame you for wondering.

Anthonysg0113

Then I would contact your local. I keep mine on speed dial. Ask one of your senior pt's, or a driver. If you wanted to know bad enough, you'll find out.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
funny-pictures-50-cent-in-zimbabwe.jpg