Indiana license plates

rod

Retired 22 years
Alot of people register their big fancy motorhomes in South Dakota also. As far as I know they don't have a sales tax and its only like 25 bucks to register a vehical. I saw an advertisement not to long ago from some SD lawyer who would set you up with a legal SD address for like $250 bucks so everything would be on the up and up. The same motorhome (say a $250,000 one) would cost thousands to register in Minnesota.

S

splozi

I don't think there's very much to catch onto, as it isn't illegal. I remember seeing TV commercials years ago trying to entice businesses into moving to Michigan, because of lower taxes or something. Businesses often establish themselves in a specific state (or multiple states) because of lower costs, not necessarily because they originated there. I guess that's the beauty of having 50 "separate" states in one country.

S

splozi

Alot of people register their big fancy motorhomes in South Dakota also. As far as I know they don't have a sales tax and its only like 25 bucks to register a vehical. I saw an advertisement not to long ago from some SD lawyer who would set you up with a legal SD address for like $250 bucks so everything would be on the up and up. The same motorhome (say a $250,000 one) would cost thousands to register in Minnesota.

I can't remember if it's North Dakota, or South Dakota, but I remember reading about how it's extremely east to establish residency there. Something about living there for 30-days. You can even live in a motel room. After 30 days you are a resident, and you can obtain a license and register your vehicle. I believe that auto insurance is extremely cheap there or something.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can't remember if it's North Dakota, or South Dakota, but I remember reading about how it's extremely east to establish residency there. Something about living there for 30-days. You can even live in a motel room. After 30 days you are a resident, and you can obtain a license and register your vehicle. I believe that auto insurance is extremely cheap there or something.

This lawyer I was talking about does something like set you up as a legal "company" so you can buy and register your stuff through it ----even though you don't live in the state.

menotyou

bella amicizia
This is only for the feeder tractors--all of the pkg cars are registered in the state that they operate in.
I know. I moved the feeders in the yard and always wondered why the different plates from the package cars.

I knew my plate number on my pc and it wasn't registered on Indiana. Remember the broken frames? I know the plates of the vehicles in my yard.

tarbar66

UPS is not the only company that does this. Conway, FedEx and others get the logo'd plates from Indiana too.

I remember when the tractors were licensed in Oklahoma and the people from HarPa would call PaDot about the ice and snow on the hill. PaDot told them to call the state where the tractors were registered.

bluehdmc

I've heard they register in Indiana for the logo plate, the registration for the tractor shows the GVW the tractor is registered in for different states. Not sure what that's all about. There's a way the spread the fuel tax out also, it used to be every state you went into with a tractor you had to buy a fuel tax stamp, now it's "apportioned" to each state you operate in. The feeder trailers are also registered in different states. Some have logo plates from IN, some have Tennessee registration, some Oklahoma, Maine is also a big trailer registration state. I think it mainly because the registration is permanent. A lot of our CPU trailers are registered locally and the registration is only good for 3 years if IRC. It's probably a logistical nightmare just to keep track of the tractor registrations let alone trailers that are on the east coast one week and on a train going to California the next.

OptimusPrime

I never noticed. Maybe because I live in Indiana. Good times. Though what does it mean that it says "Electronic plate" over it?