Indirect gun delivery

barnyard

KTM rider
Never heard of a police dept. being closed.:confused:

I have.

I have a PD that closes for lunch pretty much everyday. Dispatching is handled by the county when they are closed. There have been times that I have had ammo and weapon deliveries, I call the non-emergency number posted by the door and if there is someone in the building, they let me in and it is taken care of.

!Retired!

1. I've never seen a gun package marked 'gun' on an Express package. I would like to see one though.
2. While the actual PD building might be closed. The officers take the cars home.
3. Assuming Ground has the same signature options. DSR and ASR, he should be in trouble. ISR, he did nothing wrong.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Now that's what I call a small town. Andy and Barney must've been up at Myers Lake with Helen and Thelma Lou at the time using the squad car for unofficial business. I can just see the eyes popping out of Barney's head and the muscles tightening up in his neck right now when he found out about the indirect.

I hear Helen was a screamer, and Thelma was a moaner. Goober told me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
1. I've never seen a gun package marked 'gun' on an Express package. I would like to see one though.
2. While the actual PD building might be closed. The officers take the cars home.
3. Assuming Ground has the same signature options. DSR and ASR, he should be in trouble. ISR, he did nothing wrong.

Why would it ever be OK to ISR a gun, especially if it's marked "GUN"? While I agree that there are plenty of mystery packages that contains God knows what, this package was clearly marked and should have been treated accordingly, regardless of signature option.

!Retired!

Why would it ever be OK to ISR a gun, especially if it's marked "GUN"? While I agree that there are plenty of mystery packages that contains God knows what, this package was clearly marked and should have been treated accordingly, regardless of signature option.
As I said....I've never seen one marked gun. We have a few gun dealers and a shooting range in our stations area and they have NEVER had a package marked that way. Could be the OP was incorrect.

Sniper

I have a business in addition to working for Express. On Wednesday, a Ground driver indirected an AR15 police assault rifle in a box that clearly was marked 'GUN', to my business that should have gone to the police department around the corner. My employee signed for it trying to be a good neighbor. The Police Chief is going to make a big deal about this with FedEx. My question is for anyone who works for Ground and might be able to answer.... Do you have any idea what might happen to this driver? Is this a firing offense? I know this a HUGE no-no.

You are a good neighbor. Your employee did the right thing because they did not know the contents of the pkg.

I am assuming the driver did the right thing by trying to get the pkg to the customer the same business day even though they were "out to lunch", typical government but that is another thread..lol :wink2: ( and I do it for $1.00 a year...really?? )

I am assuming the Chief picked up his AR-15 police assault rifle when they got back from lunch/next am from your place of business. (sorry I just couldn't resist). :wink2: In firearm layman terms "AR".

Now come the questions.

Did the department receive the firearm intact? (I am assuming yes)

Was the firearm stolen or lost? (I am assuming no)

Did your employee or the driver have anything to personally gain during the indirect? No.

Can a FFL or non FFL ship a firearm to a government LE agency? Yes.

Did the shipper or PD suffer any type of loss? No.

Now what I KNOW about LE and ATFE if your Chief got his panties in a wad and dropped the dime the first two questions out of ATF would be the following.

1. Is the firearm stolen?

2. Is the firearm accounted for?

"thank you for calling us and we are glad you got your AR".

It is what it is.

Now if you want to continue reading I will relate two stories that I have personal knowledge of and every word are the facts.

I have been a "hobby" FFL since 1986, I worked out of my house as a second job. Before I opened the shop a delivery person left a package at my front door. No DSR, ISR just a residential delivery. I got home after working all day and opened a Kreighoff over/under shotgun. It wasn't a big deal until I looked at the paperwork. The invoice was for $14k (more valuable at the time than a pre 86 machine gun) and it sat on my porch all day. Needless to say I called the delivery company and just asked for the driver to stop by the house. He did in about 20 minutes and I showed him the invoice and gave him a key to the house. Enough said about that.

Another dealer called me one time because he had shipped a MAC 10 (machine gun) and the label came off at a hub. He knew who I worked for and was freaking out. It showed an inbound scan and that was it. Nothing else.

I told him to request a trace and inform the agent the contents of the package and alert overgoods. Sure enough they called Frank the next day and had the package but no airbill. The package was returned to Frank. He "properly packaged" the contents and made sure the airbill was properly attached. He reshipped it and everyone had a good day. Now granted the pucker factor was up for 24 hours but FedEx got the job done. (I know my purple is showing).

That's all I have to say about that. :happy-very:

Last edited:

overflowed

From fedex website. Also, I have seen shippers that don't use asr or dsr on firearms maybe out of ignorance or don't want to pay for it?. CMP comes to mind.

1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
  2. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
  3. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
  4. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
  5. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
  6. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
  7. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

MAKAVELI

You are a good neighbor. Your employee did the right thing because they did not know the contents of the pkg.

I am assuming the driver did the right thing by trying to get the pkg to the customer the same business day even though they were "out to lunch", typical government but that is another thread..lol :wink2: ( and I do it for $1.00 a year...really?? )

I am assuming the Chief picked up his AR-15 police assault rifle when they got back from lunch/next am from your place of business. (sorry I just couldn't resist). :wink2: In firearm layman terms "AR".

Now come the questions.

Did the department receive the firearm intact? (I am assuming yes)

Was the firearm stolen or lost? (I am assuming no)

Did your employee or the driver have anything to personally gain during the indirect? No.

Can a FFL or non FFL ship a firearm to a government LE agency? Yes.

Did the shipper or PD suffer any type of loss? No.

Now what I KNOW about LE and ATFE if your Chief got his panties in a wad and dropped the dime the first two questions out of ATF would be the following.

1. Is the firearm stolen?

2. Is the firearm accounted for?

"thank you for calling us and we are glad you got your AR".

It is what it is.

Now if you want to continue reading I will relate two stories that I have personal knowledge of and every word is the fact.

I have been a "hobby" FFL since 1986, I worked out of my house as a second job. Before I opened the shop a delivery person left a package at my front door. No DSR, ISR just a residential delivery. I got home after working all day and opened a Kreighoff over/under shotgun. It wasn't a big deal until I looked at the paperwork. The invoice was for $14k (more valuable at the time than a pre 86 machine gun) and it sat on my porch all day. Needless to say I called the delivery company and just asked for the driver to stop by the house. He did in about 20 minutes and I showed him the invoice and gave him a key to the house. Enough said about that.

Another dealer called me one time because he had shipped a MAC 10 (machine gun) and the label came off at a hub. He knew who I worked for and was freaking out. It showed an inbound scan and that was it. Nothing else.

I told him to request a trace and inform the agent the contents of the package and alert overgoods. Sure enough they called Frank the next day and had the package but no airbill. The package was returned to Frank. He "properly packaged" the contents and made sure the airbill was properly attached. He reshipped it and everyone had a good day. Now granted the pucker factor was up for 24 hours but FedEx got the job done. (I know my purple is showing).

That's all I have to say about that. :happy-very:
Regardless of your situation or the ground drivers, all firearm shipments should be DSR per FedEx policy. That would be the deciding factor as to who is at fault, the driver or shipper.

Sniper

You answered your own question.

The SHIPPER.

All the CMP shipments I have delivered were DSR. (even the government has trained their employees to X that block)...lol... can't help it :wink2:

overflowed

The SHIPPER.

All the CMP shipments I have delivered were DSR. (even the government has trained their employees to X that block)...lol... can't help it :wink2:

I remember specifically many times CMP has not. You notice if you have 12 very long heavy boxes. Not saying always but often enough I've noticed.

Sniper

FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.

Really...

Don't know about y'all but I get them all the time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The SHIPPER.

I notice you conveniently forgot to answer my question earlier about you being a former government employee. So. I'll ask again. Was it a waste of taxpayer money when you were a USMC member or your daughter was in the USAF? How about your former job? Wasn't that government as well? Oh, and even that $1.00 per year Barney Fife gig...that's a government job too. Hey, you sound like just a bit of a hypocrite there ex-government and current government employee.

Sniper

I answered your question TWICE you just didn't see the forest for the trees.

At $551.00 a month in 1982 I was a government employee, took an oath and KEPT it. I was expendable. Price of business so it's called. My daughter did the same, she just got jacked up "preventable accident" while on active duty. My son in law, (her husband) just landed in Jordon for his 3rd deployment in 5.5 years, W didn't sign those orders. If you ALL want to do something his unit is begging for beef jerky and Cat has made it two days in a row while she if "off" from her FedEx job. I will be glad to post the APO and his unit to send it to.

See FREEDOM is not free. That's why I walk the walk and talk the talk. The time I donate to the local government is my choice, just like working for FedEx is my choice. I have been paid all of (five) one dollar checks for the last 17+ years.

I never said government is bad just VERY WASTEFUL from the bottom to the top and back down again. I bet you doughnuts to machine guns any congressional "assistant" has received more "aid" than any one of our family members. We did it and still do it because it is OUR Country and we are all in this together.

Now not to derail the thread. Riddle me this joker.

I took a drive and got a couple of pics on the way today. I will even leave the address up for the Barney clue for you.

Here is a real police hint....look at the tags

ground.jpgexpress.jpg
ground.jpg
express.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
As I said....I've never seen one marked gun. We have a few gun dealers and a shooting range in our stations area and they have NEVER had a package marked that way. Could be the OP was incorrect.

Guns are not marked. That would make them prime theft targets.

Once you know the size and shape of the box, they are very easy to pick out of a pile. Like other shippers, gun manufacturers only use their initials for a company name on the return address. Typically when they come from the manufacturer, they are signee must by over 21 and have to check ID. Private shippers are supposed to, but do not always.

We pick up from a manufacturer and all their long guns go out 'sig required, over 21, check ID.' Cannot 'leave at' must deliver to that address, but anyone over 21 can sign.

MAKAVELI

At $551.00 a month in 1982 I was a government employee, took an oath and KEPT it. I was expendable. Price of business so it's called. My daughter did the same, she just got jacked up "preventable accident" while on active duty. My son in law, (her husband) just landed in Jordon for his 3rd deployment in 5.5 years, W didn't sign those orders. If you ALL want to do something his unit is begging for beef jerky and Cat has made it two days in a row while she if "off" from her FedEx job. I will be glad to post the APO and his unit to send it to.

See FREEDOM is not free. That's why I walk the walk and talk the talk. The time I donate to the local government is my choice, just like working for FedEx is my choice. I have been paid all of (five) one dollar checks for the last 17+ years.

I never said government is bad just VERY WASTEFUL from the bottom to the top and back down again. I bet you doughnuts to machine guns any congressional "assistant" has received more "aid" than any one of our family members. We did it and still do it because it is OUR Country and we are all in this together.

I took a drive and got a couple of pics on the way today. I will even leave the address up for the Barney clue for you.

View attachment 10303View attachment 10304
Is your son in law fighting in Jordan?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I never saw the package. I'm just going on what the Chief told me. HE is the one who said it was marked 'gun'.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I think the Chief is "mis-remembering"... (we know cops never lie)
It makes as much sense as marking "jewelry" on a diamond ring shipment.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

View attachment 10303View attachment 10304

The second pic looks like Memphis Express and the pic at the Ground facility has a red Chevy Cadaver with an AMJ-prefix on the plate and the Kia has an M-prefix. Is someone purple enough to have an "AMJ" personalized plate? As usual, you speak in riddles. I just finished watching "Jane Eyre", and your prose is as indecipherable as some of the Orson Welles oratory in the movie. Speak English, please!!

Wait!! There aren't any beer bottles or vagrants in the Ground parking lot. Must be Saturday.

Sniper

Is your son in law fighting in Jordan?

No he is in the Army out of Ft. Carson, Co his unit just got deployed to Jordon. I am "assuming" it a safer deployment than Iraq X2 but he is still halfway around the world and won't see his family for 8+ months.