industrial route orion question

bddaddy

I have a route that goes out plugged to the ceiling. Of course orion wants me to go to the middle of my car to deliver packages while I'm running my air. This is impossible unless I want to spend 10 minutes at each stop to try and dig out a few. On my old route I really didn't have much of a problem getting to the middle to dig something out. My question is what can I do? If I skip those stops and just do my air and then the businesses my orion gets really screwed up. Those of you with orion know that during air you are just picking some stops in a neighborhood off. if after I get done with my business and go back to the top of my stops and start running in order I go to the area where the air was first, then to a completely different area, then back to the same area. It's a bucked up mess that adds lots of time and miles!

barnyard

KTM rider
Every morning, walk your supe down to your car, look in and say, "I am running regular delivery order until most of the bulk is gone." Eventually, your boss will tell you to quit telling him/her and not to run Orion anymore.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
We are in the process of getting the dreaded ORION system. I have seen the ORION solution for my route twice. Once it was spot on for how I was planning on running my route. The other time, not so much.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I have a route that goes out plugged to the ceiling. Of course orion wants me to go to the middle of my car to deliver packages while I'm running my air. This is impossible unless I want to spend 10 minutes at each stop to try and dig out a few. On my old route I really didn't have much of a problem getting to the middle to dig something out. My question is what can I do? If I skip those stops and just do my air and then the businesses my orion gets really screwed up. Those of you with orion know that during air you are just picking some stops in a neighborhood off. if after I get done with my business and go back to the top of my stops and start running in order I go to the area where the air was first, then to a completely different area, then back to the same area. It's a bucked up mess that adds lots of time and miles!

Run it exactly by Orion, and allow it to fail.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

DO whatever you have to do. I follow it on my bid route because I can access the whole car most days. If you can't, don't. They've stopped talking about Orion here. They don't even care about 1st stop anymore.

9.5er

If the stops are residential save, leave them and run them last or while working back through doing your pick ups.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Do what you have to do. If the RDO is set up right, I would bet you stay close to the 85% mark.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
This is simple, talk to your Sup. if he says you have to follow Orion fine, at about 11 send a message and say you will have business problems and are over 11 or even 12, they love to hear this.

If your sup. is smart he will say ignore it at least until you get the bulk out of your way.

Either way Orion is the single dumbest idea I have seen in 25 years at UPS.

Or do what I did, when my sup rode me to help fix my Orion issue my 3rd stop was in the 7300 area of a bulked out PC, I went to the stop and began to off load all the bulk right on the street so I could get to the package, my sup nearly lost it. I then asked him do you want me to follow this stupid system or do you want to go home before midnight? Since that time he has kind of worked with me and let me kind of follow Orion when I can.

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you have an overloaded car, deliver it the safe way.
A matter of fact, as long as you make a real effort in saving miles, do it your way.
As long as you're close to your optimized miles, they should not bother you.

Orion was thought up by a bunch of people with pressed Italian suits, French cologne, and no common sense.
They sit in front of computer screens and think up ways to save money that isn't realistic.
Everyone knows Orion is a dud but it won't go away to save face. Be a driver and do your best.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
A matter of fact, as long as you make a real effort in saving miles, do it your way.

Your building must be smarter then mine. In mine ALL they care about is the % you run, not the miles.
Do 70% and beat Orion by 5 miles and they are mad, run Orion 95% and go over by 15 miles, they say great job. Never seen anything this stupid. Maybe they can send your sups. to our building.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
run the route based on how it is loaded and what you can get to, Orion is useless in general but especially useless in blown out trucks

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Your building must be smarter then mine. In mine ALL they care about is the % you run, not the miles.
Do 70% and beat Orion by 5 miles and they are mad, run Orion 95% and go over by 15 miles, they say great job. Never seen anything this stupid. Maybe they can send your sups. to our building.

We've had it for 2 years now. They know it's BS.
They care about miles first, Orion's first stop, then %.
Orion is so great that it will be shut off in 30 days for peak.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
In my experience, management doesn't care what you do so long as you hit the mileage.

Find out what your forecasted mileage is, and if you can hit that mileage or stay under it, then deliver in any order you want.

That's what I've been doing for 7 months now. Haven't heard a peep out of them.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
In my experience, management doesn't care what you do so long as you hit the mileage.

Find out what your forecasted mileage is, and if you can hit that mileage or stay under it, then deliver in any order you want.

That's what I've been doing for 7 months now. Haven't heard a peep out of them.
The new thing we have to do is "help" those who came in under miles. As in get them to match the ORION miles as much as possible. We have a guy who comes in 20+ miles under every single day. But we have to help him because you know, hitting the ORION goals is king..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The new thing we have to do is "help" those who came in under miles. As in get them to match the ORION miles as much as possible. We have a guy who comes in 20+ miles under every single day. But we have to help him because you know, hitting the ORION goals is king..
Does management not see the lack of common sense that is? If Orion was designed for the sole purpose of saving miles, this would be celebrated and encouraged. Instead you have to "focus " on getting up 20 more miles to make a report?

This right here is the problem

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Orion was thought up by a bunch of people with pressed Italian suits, French cologne, and no common sense.
They sit in front of computer screens and think up ways to save money that isn't realistic.
Everyone knows Orion is a dud but it won't go away to save face. Be a driver and do your best.
This right here exactly fits what a driver should do. Best description of Orion yet.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Does management not see the lack of common sense that is? If Orion was designed for the sole purpose of saving miles, this would be celebrated and encouraged. Instead you have to "focus " on getting up 20 more miles to make a report?

We see it at the local level. But for the most part the reason someone will be in under miles is because they didn't follow trace. Corporate wants that trace percentage up. Why, I couldn't tell you.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

You have to wonder what how in the world you can ever beat the Orion miles. Orion has one thing to do, save miles. It turns you around in the middle of a road, you back into all driveways and yet we can still beat it.